Author Topic: Android phone  (Read 9277 times)

maxtrash

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Android phone
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:34:19 PM »
In my opinion using smart remote applications like the xbmc remote for android or xbmc commander (ipad) are the future. They are actually the reason why I started with an htpc and got rid of my mediaplayer. This is one reason (the price is another) why I would rather not buy the Amulet remote.

In one of the videos I saw jitterjames using an iphone with some program that records to wav-files and then uploads this to the pc. Does anyone know an android alternative, I can't seem to find one.
Even better would be if the android phone could act like a "virtual microphone", e.g. there could be some client-server model where the phone sends audio to the pc and the pc has a driver running that makes application think it's just an ordinary microphone. Not going to happen soon I'm afraid...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Android phone
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 08:05:16 PM »
nothing for the Android yet that I know of.  For iPod there is also pocket audio:

http://www.senstic.com/iphone/pocketaudio/pocketaudio.aspx

but Senstic really sucks.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:08:14 PM by jitterjames »

maxtrash

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »
hi

senstic also offers pocket audio for android so that's good news. I paid the 1,35 euro and am trying to get it to work now.
why do you think senstic sucks?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
just based on customer service, dead forums etc.  I'm glad to hear they have an app for Android now.  I wonder if the delay will be similar on Android or (hopefully) shorter.

maxtrash

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 07:53:47 PM »
I think I'm starting to get your point. Found your posts on their forum. I've got the exact same problem: crashes when starting to use the speech engine.
They haven't fixed it since

Maybe piping the microphone through a virtual cable helps, but haven't gotten the time to experiment enough.

ps. I saw your cool video featuring google translate. Do you have example-xml's showing how you've done this?
ps2. just bought a lifetime license. I'm not sure I will start using it on a day to day basis but I find it a lot of fun to play for now. And you can work another 35 hours on it ;-)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 08:00:06 PM by maxtrash »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:53:44 PM »
Sure.  I'm not sure if I already posted something but here is what I have on my htpc at the moment.  You will need to have TTS voices installed that support the languages that you want to translate to, and you may need to modify the actions to suit the voices that you have installed.  You will understand what I mean if you look at the actions in the builder.  Let me know if you need more help.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
ps2. just bought a lifetime license. I'm not sure I will start using it on a day to day basis but I find it a lot of fun to play for now. And you can work another 35 hours on it ;-)

Thanks for your support.  If I assume a beer costs about $1.25 and I drink 2/hour then you've actually only paid for 14 hours.  :biglaugh

maxtrash

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:31:53 PM »
I've tried to correct the stream from pocket audio using a vritual cable but it didn't help. Apart from that I tried feeding the audio of an ip-cam stream from my android phone into Voxcommando but that also caused crashes! Maybe the speech engine is a bit picky on the inputformats. Then I saved the stream to a Wav-file but the commands were not recognized. Besides, voxcommando keeps showing "wav file..." in the command text textbox. I just tried again and suddenly the wav-file was processed. But on many ocasions it als crashes voxcommando.
My voice sounds stupid but I can PM you the wav-file

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
yes please.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 10:10:35 AM »
Good news for android users.  There is now a version of pocket audio for Android.

http://www.senstic.com/android/pocketaudio/pocketaudio.aspx

There will no doubt be an issue with lag, and it may or may not work on your version of windows without crashing. :(

If you do buy it and it does crash your speech engine, please contact Senstic and ask them to fix it.  Maybe if enough people complain they will actually do something about it.  The crash has nothing to do with VoxCommando.  If you try to use pocket audio with any windows speech recognition it will crash.  You won't even be able to do training.

For me it works perfectly (with lag) on my 64 bit htpc, and crashes instantly on my 32 bit laptop.  I have only tested the iPhone version.

maxtrash

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »
Hi

The android version already exists for some time, have a look at my earlier posts in this thread  :)
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=563.msg3946#msg3946

I tried it and it wasn't too stable.... Haven't experimented lately though.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
oops.  sorry.  brain fart.  I had a feeling that I knew that already but I was too lazy to check  :bonk

arikadiusz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »
I have tested pocketaudio on 64 and 32-bit win 7. Works perfect on 64-bit. On 32-bit voxcommando crashes :/

ops.
sorry didn't see james already tested it :P. my bad.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
thanks for the info though.  It is interesting to see that you have exactly the same results as me, even though you are using the Android version and I am using the iPod version.

For both of us it seems to work fine on 64bit and crashes on 32bit windows 7.  Just to be clear this is a PocketAudio / Windows issue.  It has nothing to do with VC so I can't fix it.  Unfortunately there is no customer support offered by PocketAudio.