Author Topic: MXL AC404 or CAD U7  (Read 3275 times)

wacind

• View Profile
MXL AC404 or CAD U7
« on: February 02, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
Hi
Im sorry if this has been asked before but what would you recommend between these two for a boundary microphone for sending voice commands to.
My living room space is about 20' by 20' and i plan to put the mic somewhere around the middle of the room

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: MXL AC404 or CAD U7
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Hi wacind and welcome to VC-Forum. Please use next time first the search function. Here one result from the search:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=379.0
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 11:04:30 AM »
I don't know that any one user has tested both of those boundary microphones, which is what would be required to provide a true comparison.

Both microphones have been discussed separately by a few users in different threads (as Kalle said). Comparing what has been said about the two might help.

Generally, it has been suggested that boundary microphones are not ideal for a busy open-air environment (e.g. a living room with audio playing in the background and/or a lot of residential activity), because boundary mics pick up everything and tend to result in a lot of false positives.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:12:15 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

wacind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Thanks nime5ter.

yea ive read reviews on both and was having a tough time choosing between the two. I've also read a lot of positive reviews on the kinct. Would you say that the Kinect is a better option than the boundary mics?

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
Sorry, I'm not the one to ask. You'll need to spend an hour or so reviewing the many discussions here and on the wiki, and decide how they align with your own priorities.

If you do that, you'll find that I'm usually pooh-poohing open-air solutions and recommending the Amulet or VoxWav. :) That's simply my opinion about what makes sense for a reliable, stress-free voice control experience that doesn't involve yelling across the room over loud background music or screaming kids.

A boundary mic could work well if you're willing to combine it with some kind of "on/off" trigger (i.e., keep the mic off by default and use a simple middle-button mouse click or a button on your remote to trigger a command that turns the mic on and system volume down when you want VC to listen to you--then be sure to turn the mic off again).

I'm not a believer in any "always on" fantasies. Although I personally have had pretty good success using VoxWav Pro in always-on mode, I've never tested it for longer than half an hour or so, and I happen to live in a really quiet environment. I know it would drive me crazy to try to make it functional in a noisy household/crowded room.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:02:01 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:00:43 PM »
If you can get your hands on a cheap Kinect v1 it is worth a try.  Just make sure it has the power adapter.  I have not tried either of the boundary mics myself.