Author Topic: Review Samson UB1 Boundary Mic  (Read 4771 times)

philby85

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Review Samson UB1 Boundary Mic
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »
Hi All,

I have been using VC for about a week. In that time I have used 2 mic's. The first an Editors Keys condenser mic I use to record vocals. This worked reasonably well. I wanted to try something different, but still open air.
I thought about a microsoft 360 kinect, still undecided about that one. So, I searched for a boundary mic. It came down to the MXL AC 404 or the Samson UB1. The MXL was an extra $30 so I thought I'd try the Samson.
When it arrived the first shock was size. Its small and round like a hockey puck. Second surprise was the weight, with a heavy metal construction and a very nice felt backing its deceptively heavy. Its usb so plug n play.

This picks up everything ! Its sensitive. I tried on the table, the floor lol. The wall and the ceiling. I now have it mounted on the wall behind the speakers and also behind a curtain. Input level is set at 30% I tried 10% and it didn't register to well.
I had the prefix name set to eva ( think wall-e here ) But during movies and tv its was constantly being set off by words ending in A. So I changed it and we have little to no issues.
I paid $49 AUD for this mic, which in comparison to other sellers was cheap. I am very happy with it so far as an open air mic. Also, it works no problems from about 25-30 ft away.

cheers
Philby
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 06:27:00 PM by philby85 »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Review Samson UB1 Boundary Mic
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
Great review, thanks for posting. Your mic sounds amazingly affordable, though I'm not seeing it for quite so cheap here.

Are you using any kind of ducking solution to be able to issue commands when music/media is playing, or just the prefix?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

philby85

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Review Samson UB1 Boundary Mic
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:29:51 PM »
Hey Nime5ter,

Yeah I couldn't believe the price, I was expecting a dud or a knock off. Other prices ranged from $90-129 AUD. I am using a ducking code I found in a post by James. It works well so far. If the music or movie is too loud it will not work.

regards

Philby