Author Topic: TTS {LastResult} vs OSD {LastResult}  (Read 2513 times)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
TTS {LastResult} vs OSD {LastResult}
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:12:54 PM »
So I have my command to turn lights on, off, dim, bright etc. and have the OSD set to use {LastResult} so that I can get confirmation of my command but when I add TTS.Speak for {LastResult} I get the last media file played or other last result rather than the lighting command I just issued.  Does the TTS.Speak interpret LastResult differently than OSD?

I realize there are probably a dozen ways I could work around this, just curious to get to the bottom of it.  Should I use a different option than {LastResult} or set it to a Var first then have TTS read the Var back?  Have already tried a VC.Pause in case it was all just happening too quickly.  XML is attached here, any input would be appreciated, and I did rummage the forum first but if I missed a similar post please point me to it.

Thanks!

Sean
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:41:10 PM by SeanCRS1 »
“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: TTS {LastResult} vs OSD {LastResult}
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 12:26:35 PM »
Does the TTS.Speak interpret LastResult differently than OSD?
They both treat LastResult the same way.

Looking at the history window in your video, I can see that the OSD is doing the same things as the TTS.

t=628

I think the problem is that the X10 action probably does not return any result.  This is normal.  Some actions don't return a result.

If you want a voice response saying "i turned such and such a light on" etc. then you may need to use friendly payloads.

btw if you want to post your xml to the forum, you can paste it directly into a code box:  http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=XML_on_the_forum#Posting_Your_Code_to_the_Forum

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
James,
Thanks and sorry about the code snippet.  Actually what I was seeing on my OSD was the LastSpoken, looking back at the VC History I do see that the OSD is then displaying the Last Result after that... my confusion/mistake.  My command is configured with Payloads but when I use {1} I just get the Value not the phrase (so I9 rather than "Living Room").  {LastSpoken} is enough confirmation for me, it let'''s me know that it received the command I intended.

As always, thanks James

Sean

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:50 PM »
You want "friendly payloads" which give you access to the phrase, instead of the value.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Variables#.7BPF.1.7D_etc.

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Payloads#Syntax

so instead of {1} your use {PF.1}

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:30:23 PM »
Again many thanks James, honestly sometimes I get so caught up on the problem I forget to do the research.

Issue Closed
Resolution: RTFM (Read the F'ing Manual)

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
Jitterjames originally posted a reply here that said:

----

Although we strive to provide as much support and documentation as we can, in the end there is a lot of material.  this is a good thing of course because it directly relates to the massive potential for customization.  Still it is easy to miss stuff, and there is a learning curve that can be a bit overwhelming.

It is really worth taking some time with the wiki though, especially since Nim5ter has been doing a great job of updating it.  On the main page of the wiki there is a custom search tool which searches all of the forum and the wiki and is very useful I think.  When I have time I will probably put this search box on the main site and the forum as well.

I am thinking it is time to start trying to organize some VoxCommando hangouts again.  We could focus on one person at a time and doing some problem solving, but in a public hangout so that others could watch and potentially pose questions.  If a few people have issues or just need some training, we could go through people one at a time.

Only problem is that I really want to focus on gettings the first beta of VC 2.0 out the door ASAP.  In the mean time, it would be great if someone wanted to pick up the reins here in terms of organizing hangouts.  Finding a time that works for people and making sure that as many people as possible know about it.  If someone wanted to do that, I would find the time to attend.

We are talking about free one on one support here, from the developer (well, maybe not one on one, but one at a time) so it seems that new users who want to get a leg up should take advantage of this.  I should point out that these hangouts should focus on solving problems and educating people, and not on idle chit chat.  A little bit of this is fine, but it is easy to blow an hour of time and get nothing done and I am not interested in that.    :)

...and here I go off on a wild tangent, and I am really posting this in the wrong place...  Someone should "smite" me.  :D

---

My attempts to split his post in order to create a new thread didn't quite work as planned  :bonk, but that thread is now at: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1400.msg12075#msg12075

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:16:52 PM by jitterjames »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 03:00:21 PM »
Hint taken, while I am the first to admit that I am still a newb when it comes to VC and will probably never catch up to some of the advanced users such as Kalle.  That being said all I do in my professional career is play liaison between end users to technicians to developers.  I will take this to the G+ community and see what we can do to organize a hangout.  and PS the Documentation, wiki articles, and videos are great, I am just a "boob" and didn't read it.