Author Topic: WOL for my TV  (Read 10630 times)

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
WOL for my TV
« on: November 06, 2013, 03:40:53 PM »
Hey guys =)

So, I'm trying to activate my TV and switch it to "HDMI4" which is my raspberry pi running XBMC frodo.
TV is a Panasonic Viera TXP50VT20EA.

So... Starting off easy, i had XBMC running, switched my tv off and ran the WOL command via VC. TV turned on (to the normal tv-stations and not the hdmi, but hey, success).
so... i turned the tv off again, googled a bit and read forums, tried the WOL-command again and... well nothing. Wake on lan not working.

So i turned it on via remote control, pinged it, everything ok.
i turned it off, pinged it. no response.

then, i pinged again, now it's returning me with my pc -ip that the targeted host is not reachable.

aaaaany ideas? =)

thanks in advance, i'll go looking through google now
FallenONe

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: WOL for my TV
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 04:40:44 PM »
Hi FallenOne, so viel mir bekannt ist, lassen sich TV's nicht über WOL einschalten, da im standby die Netzwerkkarte nicht mit Strom versorgt wird. Wahrscheinlich kannst Du aus diesem Grund deinen TV nicht per ping erreichen.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:45:02 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 05:03:01 PM »
hm... dann hab ich wohl beim ersten mal genau den moment erwischt als der netzwerk-adapter noch an war ;)
hmpf... bin grad noch am hin und her überlegen wie ich möglichst ohne lange ladezeit den fernseher via vc anbekomme.
ich könnte natürlich den fernseher anlassen und via xbmc  screensaver abdunkeln.. aber dann ist der fernseher immer noch an.. =)
versuche gerade via CEC vom Raspberry aus den fernseher zu aktivieren. ich lese mich noch in das thema ein. kann also sein dass ich das prinzip falsch verstanden habe und CEC nur vom TV zum Raspberry geht. na mal sehen.
natürlich könnte man sich auch eine IR-variante bauen. aber ich hoffe noch dass das so geht. ausserdem macht rumprobieren spass ;)

hab grad noch was gefunden:
Even with IR the models since 2010 have two levels of standby, when you turn the TV off with IR, after about 5 mins, the TV will click, a single IR pulse will not work,

naja...rumprobieren.. wie gesagt.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 05:09:43 PM »
für IR kann ich dieses Gerät empfehlen www.usbuirt.com

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:15:17 PM »
hm.. muss ich mir wohl langsam mal überlegen wo ich das ding taktisch klug platziere...ist beim momentanen wohnungsaufbau nicht ganz so einfach. na mal sehn, danke dir erstmal ;)

wenns updates gibt poste ich die natürlich

gruß
Max

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »
Das Gerät hat auch einen Anschluss für IR-Emitter.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:09:17 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
Do you have some reason to believe that this model of TV supports WOL?  As far as I know, most TVs do not support WOL, but it is possible that some more recent TVs are offering this feature now that ethernet TVs are becoming standard.

If you have the ability to use CEC that is a different story.  You need a special CEC hardware device and then you need a way to control it through software.  Possibly through XBMC or EventGhost but I have no experience with this.  You can't control any CEC directly from Vox though, you would need to go through another program.  In my opinion CEC is not worth the trouble because it is quite limited and devices seem to do what they want by being "intelligent" and trying to "help you" by making assumptions.

IR (infrared) is a very good solution if you don't mind spending a bit of money.  The nice thing is that you can control many devices with a single IR transmitter.

The USB-UIRT that Kalle recommended is excellent and works very well with VoxCommando.  If you want something that you can plug in anywhere, you can get the iTach wifi2IR (also works with VoxCommando).

Both of these solutions support blasting IR across the room (about 10 to 30 feet depending on the device and the correct placement of things) or with a ir emitter from an auxiliary port that you can tape directly to the IR sensor on the device you want to control.

btw, Fallenone, it is fine to post in German but Google translate is failing to translate much of what you write.  Please be careful to use simple language (no slang or Colloquialisms) and be careful to avoid spelling errors.  This way non-German speakers will be able to read your German posts by using automatic translation.

I must admit that I am guilty of doing the same thing in English, because I type too fast...  :P  
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 06:16:22 PM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
Haha, yes there was some slang in the last post from FallenOne, so it is true that you get some falses bei translating with google.
Here is the translation from the last post of FallenOne:
"I have to think about where I can place the device at best, at the moment it is not easy to find a suitable space in my apartment"

::duh  ;D

but it looks like you understand everything right, your answer hit the nail on the top  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 08:25:15 PM by Kalle »

FallenOne

• step by step
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Yeah.. sorry about that, maybe i should type bi-lingual from now on ^^ or just stick to english.. anyways

James: well.. as i posted above (in german) is that i successfully started the tv on the first try with wol, and that i maybe just hit that sweet spot where the network-adapter was still on.
my tv seems to have 2 stages of powering down. first stage are the initial few minutes, where network may still work, and then , as i quoted, there's a distinctive click, which appearently powers down the rest.
i looked at CEC because there are 3 CEC commands built in to xjson's XJson.ExecBuiltin, i read something along the lines of power on, power off, and standby... but i know to little about CEC to know what tries to power down what in that scenario ;)
and as kalle translated, the setup i have now makes ir placement kinda difficult.. well, i'll have to think of something there

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 04:04:33 PM »
and as kalle translated, the setup i have now makes ir placement kinda difficult.. well, i'll have to think of something there

Why is it difficult?

If you want to use CEC you need extra hardware like this device: http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/products/104-usb-hdmi-cec-adapter.aspx

Personally for the money, I think a usb-uirt would be much more useful.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
If FallenOne has a transmission problem because of the layout of his apartment, as James says, the GC iTach WF2IR may be the ideal solution. But it doesn't seem to be easy to find in Germany. It is also double the cost of the USB-UIRT, so it is not in everyone's budget.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy iTachs in Germany? (Kalle, weißt du das?)

Online I see only Comm-Tec.de (http://www.comm-tec.de/Globalcache_direkt.phtml?&op=art&path=77-7090&rootgroup=&lgrid=7090&artnr=771006), and it doesn't look as though they sell directly to consumers. Very confusing.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:14:27 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
Hi nime, yes I know a device which is similar the CG iTach WF2IR and it is available in germany, but exorbitant expensive  ::yuck

http://www.irtrans.de/en/shop/wifi.php

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 07:09:56 PM »
Right! Good suggestion Dave.

The cost still adds up, especially with the international shipping for the usb-uirt, but it's nice that those Powermids are wireless and cool-looking.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)