Author Topic: Microphone help  (Read 8174 times)

popy

Re: Microphone help
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
Have tested the mic and usb repeater and here are my results:

The repeater doesnt work for the mic.
Sometimes it shows a yellow triangle on "Generic USB Hub" and sometimes it works for a few seconds.
So ill assume the issue is the voltage drop or at least the cable itself.

With the mic ill doesnt get accurate recognition (~20-50) also when i am sitting in front (~1m away) and the room is relativ quiet. Also there are false positives quite often. When TV is running it just doesnt work at all.
So not a good solution for my sleeping room.

Which mic could ill try next?

• Blue Snowball: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B002OO333Q
  • Kinect 360
  • Amulet Remote -> not the best soltion because i have to take a remote in my hand to give commands. So i could also use my harmony

Any hints?

thx
pOpY
[/list]

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2016, 05:07:20 PM »
Before you buy anything else, turn the volume down, down way down lower than you expect.  Start at 5% or 10% and see how it goes.

It could also help to create and train a new profile when you get a new microphone.

My experience with Kinect is that it's OK, but not the best.  VoxCommando does not support the Kinect 360 if you want to use the special features, only the Kinect V1.  But perhaps you can use a Kinect 360 just as a normal windows microphone, I don't know.

The blue Snowball is probably decent.

You can't buy the Amulet Remote any more as far as we know.

popy

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 05:07:52 AM »
Hi.

Already tried lowering the volume, but with no positive effect.
Also trained Windows speech three times -> things got better but not good enough.

Regarding the volume meter bar in the gui. Is it normal that it doesnt get to the end when ill speak normal?
Also when ill setup the volume to "100" and speak loud the bar doesnt go over 1/3.

Thanks regarding the hint about kinect v1 & 360!
Thinking about to get one from ebay and try again.
Also a sleep detection would be nice with kinect  :D

I have asked amulet devices per email and got an offer to get one or two.
Is there an way to get the amulet remote in an always on mode and does it work if it is not to close by mouth?

thx
pOpY

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »
Hi popy,

no the amulet can't be used as always on, because it has a tilt switch inside (when you lift the amulet, the mic switch to on).
The amulet is designed to hold it close to the mouth when you speak.

You can try also a wireless solution: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=akg+wms40+mini+system&sprefix=AKG+WMS40%2Caps%2C239

So you have the option to use different microphones on it. Here is my review: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=800.msg6423#msg6423
***********  get excited and make things  **********

popy

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 07:33:46 AM »
Hey Kalle.

Thx for the info.
I am seraching for an open air mic and no headset mic.
Any hints for an open air mic which is compatible with the wireless solution?

@jitterjames: in ebay i dont find any v1 kinect? just 360 and xbox one (v2.0) version
is there an older version or do you mean the xbox one version?

thx
pOpY

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:22 AM »
Here is an example - but not tested: http://www.thomann.de/gb/superlux_e303b.htm

This mic will be connected to the transmitter.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:19:24 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 11:11:45 AM »
@jitterjames: in ebay i dont find any v1 kinect? just 360 and xbox one (v2.0) version
is there an older version or do you mean the xbox one version?

Sorry, I made a mistake.  It has been a while since I looked at them and I confused the 360 with the xbox one.

Here is all the info you need: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Kinect_audio

360 is the same as version 1.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
[/b]Also when ill setup the volume to "100" and speak loud the bar doesnt go over 1/3.
Also a sleep detection would be nice with kinect  :D

Yes that is normal, anything over 30% on that meter means the volume is too high anyway.  Even when this volume bar hardly moves you can get excellent recognition and the lower the volume the better chance you have to cut out background noise.  That is why I told you do try lowering the volume to 10%.

But it is possible your microphone does not let you adjust the volume at all if it uses auto volume control.  I can see how this might be the case for this type of microphone.  The problem with auto volume adjustment is that when no one is talking the volume is increased more and more, and it starts picking up a lot of background sounds, so in general automatic volume (or gain) control is a really bad thing to have when doing speech recognition.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 02:17:03 PM by nime5ter »