Author Topic: multi room single library XBMC  (Read 4706 times)

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
multi room single library XBMC
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:50:24 AM »
Hi everyone I just had to share the follwoing two links just incase some of you might not have known about this. I just set this up on my VC "server" and it seems to work really well. The following two link will talk about having a central MySQL library for multiple XBMC installs all over the house. Currently running this as XBMC on Windows and OpenElec on a raspberry pi. Soon to try on raspbmc as well. Coming from Plex previously I have really been missing tracking my media (what has been watched and what not) as well as being able to stop watching something in one room and carrying on in another. Although this is not perfect it really does go a long way in making everything feel a bit more tied in. If you have any questions I will try and help as best I can. In a nutshell howwver I followed the wiki (1st link) after reading the lifehacker article (2nd link) as the lifehacker one reads much easier and then if you go over to the wiki one you can sort of fill in any gaps in explanation but I do feel the Wiki is much more accurate especially the .xml template they provide and the firewall options.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL 

http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-synchronize-your-xbmc-media-center-across-every-room-in-the-house

best of luck all

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: multi room single library XBMC
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 10:21:20 AM »
Yup.  Good links, thanks.

It would be nice to have a wiki or blog post that starts with those links and then covers the steps to set up VoxCommando using xMySql.

Anyone feel like an afternoon project?  :biglaugh

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 02:07:41 PM »
I would be more than happy to type something up. Just never created a wiki before... so this might sound really dumb but is it something everyone can do  :bonk
If so I can start it as best I can and then take it from there

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 03:23:44 PM »
That would be really great, if you can spare the time.

How about creating and sharing a Google doc? Ajith did this several years ago for his awesome "VoxCommando with XBMC on Linux" tutorial. http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=710.0

That worked out well. Seems like he was able to insert screenshots etc. without issue and it's very accessible. I think he also shared it on the XBMC forums, and my impression is that it's been useful to a lot of folks.

TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 03:44:17 PM »
Yeah, a google doc would be perfect.

If you are not comfortable with that though, you can just do it as a forum post, or in word, or whatever you are comfortable with and we will try to adapt it to the wiki.

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:58:03 PM »
Ill give a google doc a go tonight and keep you all posted. Not a bad idea! But if all else fails a word document it will be  :biglaugh

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 11:18:41 PM »
Hi everyone I just had to share the follwoing two links just incase some of you might not have known about this. I just set this up on my VC "server" and it seems to work really well. The following two link will talk about having a central MySQL library for multiple XBMC installs all over the house. Currently running this as XBMC on Windows and OpenElec on a raspberry pi. Soon to try on raspbmc as well. Coming from Plex previously I have really been missing tracking my media (what has been watched and what not) as well as being able to stop watching something in one room and carrying on in another. Although this is not perfect it really does go a long way in making everything feel a bit more tied in. If you have any questions I will try and help as best I can. In a nutshell howwver I followed the wiki (1st link) after reading the lifehacker article (2nd link) as the lifehacker one reads much easier and then if you go over to the wiki one you can sort of fill in any gaps in explanation but I do feel the Wiki is much more accurate especially the .xml template they provide and the firewall options.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Share_libraries_using_MySQL 

http://lifehacker.com/5634515/how-to-synchronize-your-xbmc-media-center-across-every-room-in-the-house

best of luck all

Thanks.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 03:27:17 AM »
Hi everyone... hope this helps.

I typed up the following. No PICS or anything as I was a bit pressed for time but I did my best.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1epmODbgHM1uFVsvH08rmntpxTsXA-ae0FfI5fto3Fa4/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if there are any suggestions

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36:28 AM »
I will upload pics and adjust anything I get feedback on if anyone asks for this.

I will also try my best to assist with any questions that might come up. As per the doc I am no SQL wiz but I have some network and IT background so I will do my best in any case assist.

I will also update the Vox Commando side of doing the generate xml file as well. Tested this today and it worked a treat

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 09:15:43 PM »
Doc is now updated with GEN xml for VC and plugin settings

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 09:27:06 PM »
Nice.  Many thanks! :D

I will link to this from the xMySql page on the VC Wiki.

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:14 AM »
No problem. hope this helps someone