Author Topic: Amulet Voice Remote  (Read 73681 times)

Sirandar

• View Profile
Re: Amulet Voice Remote
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »
This is one of the most intersting remotes to come out for a long time.

Looks like a well designed product but why didn't they use RF for voice AND the remote functions?

As it is is just isn't enough better than my trusty ATI Remote Wonder with the Intelliremote software, but that remote is a pretty hard act to follow . Even the incredibly complicated and expensive Logitech offerings spark no interest in me.  It's got to be 6 years old now.

As a Vox user I can certainly say that Voice command has its place, but nothing can replace the ease of use of a well progammed remote for the simpler commands.

I can control my audio from anywhere in my house with the ATI remote and do voice commands in my audio room and the reverse would be true with the Amulet.

Also, despite the good accuracy of Vox it still misses enough that I normally have it in off mode and the only way to activate vox to ON is pressing a button on the remote, which then accepts only one command.   Another button on the remote resets the whole thing and focuses on Media Monkey.  This is the only way I found for trouble free consistant operation.  If I had the Amulet and I was in another room there would probably be enough times where it gets into a state that I can't deal with that I woudn't use it.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2010, 04:18:54 AM »
Hi Sirander,

amulet is originally designed only for the control of WMC. James has created VoxCommand software that is fortunately very flexible. The amulet remote is really only as a wireless microphone, you can use to operate using infrared or some other device. You're right that a well-programmed remote is easier to use, but only for the programmed this. I also have a Philips iPronto, which has cost a staggering 1500 EUR and believe me program this thought took months and now has the support ended. There is no ideal solution, but voice control is the future.
James has built into VoxCommand a particular application, the increase in the VC amuletremote automatically turn on and off again when it is laid. Solely the price of amuletremote is a little high, but also a well-functioning wireless microphone moves in this price range.

I think a mixture of a Logitech remote and Amuletremote on the basis of VoxCommando would be the best solution, which would mean the VC would not be accessible. I personally find it interresting to follow the development of VC and as good as I can to help. At some point one or the other manufacturers took notice of James, so that the development be better funded. When I think about how much time James for VC spends  and the 140 members have paid all of $ 20,  is just a drop on the hot stone. :-\

I wish all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Greetings Kalle
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 04:40:57 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2010, 07:34:06 AM »
I think they chose to use IR instead of RF in order to increase battery life.  I don't know what kind of difference it actually makes to battery life, but it is a shame indeed.  As far as straight button pushing remote usage goes, I still prefer my $25 PS3 bluetooth remote.

I agree that a harmony style remote with LCD screen (touch),  RF direct to the computer and a built in microphone would be pretty sweet.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why these harmony remotes are still so expensive.  I also think that some kind of comfortable lightweight wearable mic with the mic near your mouth and noise cancellation would be awesome.  it would still need an easy on/off switch though.  Ipod touch can make a decent remote too, but very expensive, and very poor battery life.

@Kalle, not everyone is so generous with donations, I appreciate your optimism but I have not received 120 donations. :o  Not even close!  If my only reason for creating VC was to make money I would be pretty sad right now...  Luckily I get something from it other than money, and who knows, maybe one day...  8)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 07:37:33 AM by jitterjames »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2010, 07:39:48 AM »
I hope so  ;)

Kalle

Sirandar

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »
Sad that so few people are willing to pay for innovative, well written and customizable software that is reasonably priced.   That is why we are stuck with big names shoving mammothly overladen and overpriced hardware and software on us.  Sadly the free model is corrupt and with a few exceptions only enforces the status quo, as the only way to make money it to sell out.  Very few people will pay anything for something they can get free.  I am the only one I know.   Media Monkey is in the same boat,  way better than the bloated upselling Itunes offering. Thay are not even in the same league, but I don't think MM3 is generating much revenue.

Vox is remarkably bug free considering it is still in its early stages.  The only wonkiness I have experienced lately is unwanted command triggering in the launch group, but with all the additional commands I could empty that group anyway and not lose any functionality. 

I think they chose to use IR instead of RF in order to increase battery life.  I don't know what kind of difference it actually makes to battery life, but it is a shame indeed.  As far as straight button pushing remote usage goes, I still prefer my $25 PS3 bluetooth remote.

I agree that a harmony style remote with LCD screen (touch),  RF direct to the computer and a built in microphone would be pretty sweet.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why these harmony remotes are still so expensive.  I also think that some kind of comfortable lightweight wearable mic with the mic near your mouth and noise cancellation would be awesome.  it would still need an easy on/off switch though.  Ipod touch can make a decent remote too, but very expensive, and very poor battery life.

@Kalle, not everyone is so generous with donations, I appreciate your optimism but I have not received 120 donations. :o  Not even close!  If my only reason for creating VC was to make money I would be pretty sad right now...  Luckily I get something from it other than money, and who knows, maybe one day...  8)

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2011, 09:37:15 PM »
I have played around with the amulet remote for a few days now and overall I like it.  However, the range has been disappointing.  If the unit is fully charged, in the house, I can get maybe 35 feet before the red light begins blinking.  Less if the battery is not fully charged.  I was hoping to use it on my back porch which is 25 ??? ??? feet through a brick wall, but that only works if I get up and stand within 20 feet.  Maybe that is what I should have expected, but in truth I thought I could get upwards to 50 feet.  It is still useable in my kitchen (an adjacent room through a wooden wall) if I place the rf receiver in the front usb port of my computer.  Are these ranges typical?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2011, 09:44:53 PM »
I don't know if those ranges would be considered typical.  25' to 30' seems like much less than I got the last time I did a test.  I wouldn't expect the range to drop until the battery was very dead maybe not even then.  I'm not sure if your htpc is in a cabinet, but you could use a cheap 10' usb extension to get it out of the cabinet and possibly in a better location for where you want to use the remote.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270108&cm_re=usb_extension_cable-_-12-270-108-_-Product

edit: actually this technique can be especially useful if you have other wireless devices on your computer.  I find that they can often interfere with each other if they are too close together and using the usb extension can often help a lot.  The amulet dongle does not draw much power so using an extension should not be a problem.  I recommend plugin the extension into a usb port directly on the back of your motherboard though, so it is not going through 2 levels of extension.  I have often had problems with my front ports with certain devices.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:48:21 PM by jitterjames »

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2011, 09:36:33 AM »
Thanks, I will give that a try and will post the results.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #83 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »
while you are at it, you may want to take the time (if you haven't already) to properly measure the actual straight line distance that you are able to get without going through any solid object using a tape measure.  If you are really only getting 30' measured in open air that could possibly indicate a problem.  Is your remote new?  Did it always get this range or did it drop over time?

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2011, 01:21:00 PM »
The remote is new.  I did not use a tape, the distances were estimated but should be correct within 5 feet.  As I mentioned earlier, the distances are not though air.  One distance is through a wooden interior wall and the other is through a brick exterior wall.  I can only test about 20 feet or less in open air before a wall gets in the way.  I am hopeful that your solution of getting the dongle away from the computer/TV/comcast box, will solve the problem.  I ordered the cable today.  Once again thank you for your kind assistance.

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2011, 11:06:50 AM »
Ok, I finally got a little time (been working 7 days a week) to try the USB extension.  There definately is an improvement in range by getting the dongle separated from the electronic equipment.   I think I need to charge my remote for best results; however, I noticed at least a 10 foot increase in range and probalby more.  Even if I do not get any further range by charging, it works satisfactorily for my purposes.  Thank you James for the suggestion of purchasing the extension.  Now if I could only get enough time to try out the new version of Vox Commando.  :'(

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2011, 09:08:09 PM »
Hi folks,

A little bit of Amulet news to share: we've dropped the price to $149, just in time for St Patrick's Day.

Also, regarding range, the USB extension lead is a good way to improve range (as James suggested, and mclough6 confirmed). One other thing that can help is to align the USB dongle vertically rather than horizontally, if possible; this lets the antenna perform a little better. Obviously not too easily done when attached directly to a HTPC, but much easier with an extension cable!

Eddy

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2011, 01:41:26 AM »
Hi folks,

A little bit of Amulet news to share: we've dropped the price to $149, just in time for St Patrick's Day.

Also, regarding range, the USB extension lead is a good way to improve range (as James suggested, and mclough6 confirmed). One other thing that can help is to align the USB dongle vertically rather than horizontally, if possible; this lets the antenna perform a little better. Obviously not too easily done when attached directly to a HTPC, but much easier with an extension cable!

Eddy

Hi Eddy, the price cut is great, but unfortunately provides amuletdevice only in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. Too bad, especially here in Europe is a great potential. I myself was still lucky and got one in the last year delivered to Germany. Where's the problem for the delivery to Europe? Amuletdevices has his headquarters in Ireland right?

Greetings Kalle

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2011, 08:01:02 AM »
Hi Eddy, the price cut is great, but unfortunately provides amuletdevice only in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand. Too bad, especially here in Europe is a great potential. I myself was still lucky and got one in the last year delivered to Germany. Where's the problem for the delivery to Europe? Amuletdevices has his headquarters in Ireland right?

Greetings Kalle

A few weeks ago I asked Eddy the same question in a PM.  His reply :

Hi Auri,

Nice to hear from you. Unfortunately, we don't yet have regulatory approval to ship to Europe - we can only ship to the US, Australia or New Zealand.

If you happen to have a friend or colleague based in the US, you could get one shipped to them and they could then forward it to you in Belgium. You might also try one of the online resellers like http://www.remoteshoppe.com/ to see if they will ship to Europe (I'm not sure if they do).

Sorry for the inconvenience -- it's as frustrating for us as I'm sure it is for you!

Regards,

Eddy
Challenge us at your own peril!

stepppedup

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:48 PM »
Here's my review and a couple of tips and tricks I found:

My setup - Nvidia ION HTPC, Windows 7, 64 bit, VoxCommano .875b (most current at this time), and the on-sale for $149 Amulet Remote.  (Normal remote is a fully customized Logitech Harmony One).

Purpose for the Amulet - primarily to handle my 21,000+ music library.  Using a normal remote blows goats quite frankly.

Physical design:
  • A little too bottom heavy for my taste - but it has a very handy groove in the back of the remote that stops it from sliding down when you tilt it up to your mouth to use the microphone.   I'd like to see it a little more curvy at the top so it fits in your hand more like a microphone - which is the main reason everyone's going to buy this remote.
  • The directional section that surrounds the Ok button is a little too ridged for my taste - almost sharp.

• The red light that lights up when the microphone is very cool looking.

Usability out of the box with MCE - flawless.  If you like MCE, which I don't.

Usability out of the box with XBMC and VoxCommando - I wasn't happy with it.

TIPS AND TRICKS!!!!

1.  Follow this excellent guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JBI6FIh-bU for setting it all up.  When you find as I did that the voice recognition accuracy was not good enough to run XBMC - have no fear.

2.  Open up Amulet's speech training - Start/ All Programs/ Amulet Devices/ Speech Setup/ Speech Training.  

If, like me, you have lots of visitors to the house, Click on New  and create a new profile with your name.  Then select it, and Train that profile.

Or don't and just use the default profile.  That way when people go to use your remote, you can just laugh  at them, and tell them that they have to be smarter than the computer.....

Anyway - you'll then find that voxcommando works FLAWLESSLY in XBMC.  Two big thumbs up!

Even with the volume cranked up pretty high, the Amulet works very well to capture what you say - and VoxCommando handles XBMC.

On a side note - I am getting an error when I open VoxCommando:  

error creating group:  XBMC Request Music by Name - VoxCommando will continue to load, but commands in this group will not be available.

- So the command "Play hits by" artist doesn't seem to work....since this is key to my original purpose of handling my music library, I'll go hit up the right forums, and post back here with that final tip and trick.

EDIT:  with JitterJames' help, I removed the Play Song command, and voxcommando started working.  Link to forum here: 
http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=438.msg3008#msg3008

I very happily just paid for the license and am now LOVING THIS!

« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 08:08:30 PM by stepppedup »