Author Topic: Error creating group: XBMC Request Music by Name  (Read 4047 times)

stepppedup

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Error creating group: XBMC Request Music by Name
« on: March 23, 2011, 08:43:22 PM »
Hi - I gotta say - nice job on the software!  (I posted a review of this software in combination with the Amulet microphone remote in that particular forum).

I have only one error that I need to clear away before I can fully commit to the license...

When VoxCommando starts to load, it seems to not be doing anything, but then generates this error message:

"error creating group:  XBMC Request Music by Name - VoxCommando will continue to load, but commands in this group will not be available."

Setup:  VoxCommando 0.875 (b), XBMC 10.0 stable, Windows 7, 64 bit.

I've googled the error, and looked at this forum, but not seeing anything that looks relevant - any suggestions?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Error creating group: XBMC Request Music by Name
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:55 PM »
Only one error but it's a big one.  So you can't request any music by name... which kind of sucks.

My guess is that there is something in your music data (artist, album, or song names) that is tripping Vox up.  If you want you can send me your whole folder zipped up and I'll try to debug it for you.  Or if you want you can also use the "backup current configuration" command from the main Vox File menu and send me that.

It is also possible that it is just not able to handle 21000 songs, in combination with all your other data.

stepppedup

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:31:58 AM »
Awesome - thanks!  Just PM'd you the link to the zipped up original.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »
I just tried the file that you sent me.  It loads fine on my machine.  It does take a very long time the first time after making any changes but this is because you have a very large library.  Your music is also rather poorly tagged (many spellings for one artist for example).  Keeping your music library properly organized is a chore to be sure.  A program like mediaMonkey can help.  Of course once it is organized it is much easier to keep it that way.

The only reason that I can think of, why it would load fine on my machine and not on yours, is that perhaps you have less memory?  It seems that the language files are being correctly generated but the error is occurring when you try to load them.

As far as solutions go, I would start by removing the play song command to see if this gets rid of your error.  That at least would allow you to request music by Artist name and Album name which is usually what people want anyway.  Lets start with that and then discuss other options.

btw I tested on my laptop which is an i5 on win7 32bit.  3 Gig of ram.  When I load your config though Vox only actually uses 125 megs...  also looking at the log in the zip you sent, it looks like everything loaded correctly.  I will have to look closer at the code where the language model gets loaded into memory.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:48 PM »
Hi - I gotta say - nice job on the software!  (I posted a review of this software in combination with the Amulet microphone remote in that particular forum).

I have only one error that I need to clear away before I can fully commit to the license...

When VoxCommando starts to load, it seems to not be doing anything, but then generates this error message:

"error creating group:  XBMC Request Music by Name - VoxCommando will continue to load, but commands in this group will not be available."

Setup:  VoxCommando 0.875 (b), XBMC 10.0 stable, Windows 7, 64 bit.

I've googled the error, and looked at this forum, but not seeing anything that looks relevant - any suggestions?

Hi steppedup,
I had this error a long time even before, but it can not repeat. Try out the following, but first make a backup of your VC folder.
start VC and if the error appears to ignore this, the VC has started. Go to Edit and look to that the group with the error is.
click on the "save active command tree" and close the window, than click on file in VC main menu-> full restart
I hope it helps. (sorry for my bad english)

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

stepppedup

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 05:13:08 AM »
Thanks for the replies to both of you!  I'll try jitterjames first (including doing some major clean-up on my tags/ artist names), and then Kalle's.  Will post back with whatever I find works best.

Cheers!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
stay in touch.  I have other suggestions that you can try later.  Let me know if you don't know how to remove the Play songs command.  but all you really do is click Edit, then browse the tree to find the command and then delete it...

stepppedup

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 06:46:14 PM »
Awesome - removed the Song command and it loaded up fine.  Took a while to load, but since my HTPC is always on, now worries.

Since I and most other people'd memory don't work off of song names, but rather the musician's name, this works for me!

I gotta say - it is so nice to not have to scroll down through my entire library to get to Santogold, and just be able to to say, "Santogold" and have it pop up!

Thank you - I just bought the license!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 07:08:37 PM »
Great.  Glad to hear that it works now.  If you clean up your tags it will work even better.

Also, it should load pretty quickly after the first time.  If you genXML or edit the command tree then it will be slow to load, but after that it should start much faster.  At least that is the design, and it is what I experience on all my machines.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 07:41:42 PM »
Awesome - removed the Song command and it loaded up fine.  Took a while to load, but since my HTPC is always on, now worries.

Since I and most other people'd memory don't work off of song names, but rather the musician's name, this works for me!

I gotta say - it is so nice to not have to scroll down through my entire library to get to Santogold, and just be able to to say, "Santogold" and have it pop up!

Thank you - I just bought the license!

WELCOME IN THE CLUB    :hugs
***********  get excited and make things  **********