Author Topic: Belkin Wemo and Phillips Hue Support  (Read 24771 times)

jb5349

• View Profile
Belkin Wemo and Phillips Hue Support
« on: November 18, 2013, 02:00:37 PM »
Any chance since the APIs and SDKs are available that there could be plugins or support for Belkin Wemo devices (switches, motion sensors, energy usage monitor, etc.) to be used with VC. I know there is an HTTP interface for these and I have seen some python scripts on the Internet, but it would be great to have a nice plugin that 1. detected the devices and added them to a payloadxml and 2. sent commands to the devices

Also, same idea with Phillips Hue Wifi to Zigbee interface to control LED light bulbs.

And by chance, the new LifeX wifi bulbs (which are controlled directly through a nifty mesh network using only 1 IP address) www.lifex.co

I have managed to get VC to work using my Radio Thermostat brand (3M Filtrete model Wifi Thermostat) from Home Depot to read me temperatures and modes, etc. I still need to figure out how to send the JSON formatted commands back to it. Maybe I just need an example of how to send a POST request with text data in it to the interface.

And pretty much being able to control other Internet (wifi) connected devices as they are introduced to the marketplace.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Belkin Wemo and Phillips Hue Support
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:00 PM »
Sure if there are sdks and apis you can create the plugin yourself.

If you want me to do it, and there is a decent api available, just send me the hardware and I'll see what I can do.  Send me a PM if this is something you are interested in.

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:22:11 PM »
How do you make a plugin for VC? I guess I didn't realize we could do that.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 05:01:52 AM »
Thanks! I will take a look. I do program in VB.net and C# isn't that much different, so maybe I will figure out how to make some plug-ins for some things soon.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »
I still need to figure out how to send the JSON formatted commands back to it. Maybe I just need an example of how to send a POST request with text data in it to the interface.

take a look at this thread it may be of some help.

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 01:14:55 PM »
I realized I could use the python curl command or pycurl to interact with these devices. Anyone have an example of how this would look in Vc command builder? Python is new to me but I found some existing scripts for several devices I want to try to modify to work with VC so that anyone with these devices can use them right away.

I actually don't own many of these yet but might purchase some to test it with if I can get the code figured out. They aren't cheap though.

jwosi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 10:44:42 AM »
I came across VoxCommando the other night and I’m on the fence about buying it. Then I came across this post. I have both these products and they are great. It would be even better to control them from one application. Is there any chance that a plugin will be created for these products? Also, if someone got a custom plugin working, any chance you could help someone with no programing experience?   ;)

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
Take your time deciding.  You can use the trial mode for as long as you want.

In order for me to make a plugin for these I would need access to the hardware.  They both seem overpriced to me and as yet I don't see enough of a demand to justify spending the money or the time.

That said, both of these can probably be controlled with VoxCommando using existing actions and plugins. Between Scrape, RoboBrowser, the UDP actions, TCP plugin, and EventGhost pretty much anything can be done.

If you are asking whether I can help a non-programmer to program a plugin for VC then the answer is no.  I simply don't have that much time.  However if you come up with some python code for the python plugin and need some help with it we will do our best to help out.

If someone has experience with C# and visual studio then I will try to help with plugin development.  It is not too hard if you have programming experience.

If someone wants to send me hardware to play with I will see about making a plugin for just about anything.  If someone wants to send me a Wemo or Hue to play with I'll be happy to give it a go.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:04:27 AM by jitterjames »

SuperKronz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »
I have a wemo wall outlet (plugs into existing outlet)I can donate to the cause.  I picked up a few before I got into the zwave stuff.  Personally, I find they do some funny IP stuff - IP changes frequently for no reason I can determine and I don't see a way to set a static one.

If James wants to send me a private with the shipping address I will send it off (and hardly ever show up at his place looking for custom code).

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 05:37:38 AM »
Hi SuperKonz, habe mir mal die Beschreibung von WeMo angeschaut und habe nur ein api für iOS und Android gefunden http://developers.belkin.com/wemo/sdk.
Um das wechseln der IP zu verhindern, musst Du für die WeMo Geräte im Router (über die MAC-Adresse) die IP für jedes Gerät reservieren.

In Canada werden 110 Volt benötigt und daher denke ich, die Schalter werden bei James nicht funktionieren.

Gruß
Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »
Hi Kalle,

Ich glaube, SuperKronz wohnt auch in Kanada. Ha. Es ist aber schwer mit alle diese Benutzernamen!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:54:59 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 09:26:42 AM »
Haha, ups  :bonk
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
If James wants to send me a private with the shipping address I will send it off (and hardly ever show up at his place looking for custom code).
You forgot your winky face...

That's great.  Looks like we've got two "Special K's" on the forum now...  :biglaugh

I sent you an email.

You can show up any time as long as you bring beer.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:30:40 AM by jitterjames »

SuperKronz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Hi Kalle,

Thanks for the response, I think I even understood a little bit  ;D.

The wemo seems crazy the way it handles allocating their IPs - They don't show up on my routers list of assigned devices so I wasn't able to reserve an IP via MAC address.  Almost like they sniff the network to find the IP range, and then just pick one themselves (without actually asking the router for one or registering!).

I dunno, probably my crazy network - I'm just mailing one to James and let him sort it out :).  Zwave stuff blows Belkin out of the water anyway so I don't imagine I will use them anyway.