Author Topic: Any Philips Hue users here?  (Read 26636 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Any Philips Hue users here?
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 06:49:08 PM »
If I am going to make the plugin then I will want to have more than one bulb anyway for proper testing of groups etc.  Also if I am going to spend the time developing it I also want something cool to play with at the end of the day.

SK, can you please enter your pledge on the plugin form so that I can keep track of the totals in one spot.

Hopefully there will be other users interested in contributing in addition to the two of you.  Thank you both for your generous offers, it's a very good start!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 06:54:04 PM by jitterjames »

Casmo

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 07:24:08 PM »
Colourloop is already doable. Just add cororloop as a color in your xml. So many other possibilities, tie light scenes to genres, disco lights for music, flashing lights for alerts, incredible potential...

Casmo

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
Absolutely you'll 2/3 bulbs to get the full effect. Trust me though, you'll be hooked. Watching breaking bad with the whole bottom floor of the house bathed in greens and blues was a beautiful thing (though sadly that was pre my discovery of vc)

SuperKronz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2014, 06:14:43 PM »
Donation logged.  *please* tell me we are almost there!  Come on people, you know you want coloured lights goodness fully integrated with Vox.  If you have a hue, toss a couple bucks into the project.  If you don't, pick one up now and toss a couple bucks into the project.  You will make more friends, throw better parties, get promoted at work and have to beat the chicks off with a stick.

Seriously.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2014, 11:51:47 PM »
Well, we are past the 1/2 way mark for covering the cost of the hardware.  It's a very good start, but I don't know how many other VC users have Hue or intend to get it.

Mirac78

• View Profile
    • M.S.Photography
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »
We are on 2/3 ;D

So much love my Hue and VC and will take the risk :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2014, 04:23:56 PM »
Wow.  The three of you are obviously serious about this. :D

I have been looking closer at the Hue API that is available and I don't see any problems making a plugin, but it would be nice to know if anyone else other than the 3 of you wants to contribute!

I should be able to put together a basic plugin very quickly, but if there is enough interest I think we can go beyond the basics.  The basics will be simple actions to set the HSB (hue, saturation, and brightness) of either a light, a groups of lights, or all lights.  It will also be easy to make alerts where a light(s) will flash for a short period, or initiate a colourloop.  These are basic extensions of the existing api and you can probably do it already with the command line tool, though this should be easier and might be slightly faster with a VC plugin.

Moving forward it should be possible to set up schedules (I think) and maybe do other things like "store" and "restore" current lights.  So for example if you wanted to do a "red alert" when motion is detected at your back door, you could

1) Store current settings
2) Initiate red alert lights flashes for a short period
3) Restore settings back to what they were before you initiated red alert.

I am still confused about schedules and can't really tell you what will be possible there, but obviously you can always use the GgCal plugin as the scheduler and use it to initiation a lighting schedule that way.

I don't think that the Hue bridge can actually store "scenes" but we could possibly create a database of scenes within the plugin, similar to the store/restore but with naming and saving the current state and then being able to restore it by name later.  This type of feature would probably come later if a plugin were made.

Anyway it looks like a nice system.  A little expensive but fun.  Hopefully there will be other users who are interested!

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 19, 2014, 12:25:59 PM »
i'm interested. put in my vote.

SuperKronz

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2014, 07:31:37 PM »
New plugin works fantastic and performs changes really quickly.  Easy to set and does everything I wanted.

So.
Very.
Happy.

Seriously, I highly recommend adding hue lights to any media setup if you have a little disposable cash.  Great fun and increases show off factor big time.

Thanks again James.

(Did I mention so very happy?)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
Thanks SK.  I'm very happy to hear that you are pleased with the plugin so far.

I have some more enhancements planned.  Hopefully I will get most of them into the next release of VC.

At that point I will see about making a demo, but feel free to make your own if you are so inclined. :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2014, 08:35:42 PM »
Here's the first demo that I made last week.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:44:52 PM by nime5ter »

nikeb

• i got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2014, 08:39:03 AM »
Hi guys, i buyed my Philips Hue 1 month ago and i m lookin forward for a custom hue plugin.

I found it on the wiki, but didn't find it on the program :P

By the way, i'm using PY plugin to make it work.
Using this code

Code: [Select]
import urllib2
opener = urllib2.build_opener(urllib2.HTTPHandler)
request = urllib2.Request('http://[MY_IP]/api/[MY_API]/lights/3/state', data='{"bri": 254, "on": false,"hue": 25000, "sat": 254,"ct": 500, "bri": 254}')
request.add_header('Content-Type', 'your/contenttype')
request.get_method = lambda: 'PUT'
url = opener.open(request)

And save every command in a .py file i can call them and command them.
I hope it helps.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2014, 08:46:47 AM »
Hi nikeb, welcome to the forum.

The new Hue plugin is available in the latest VoxCommando 2.000 Release Candidate 1 release (listed as version 2 beta on the downloads page): http://voxcommando.com/downloads.asp

You should see the Hue plugin listed in the Options > Plugins tab with the other plugins if you install the newest version of VC2.

New updates to VC2 are first posted to the forum here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1443.0, so you can also look on the forum for new developments.

The Hue plugin is brand new and still in development, so we do not yet have documentation or tutorials for it yet, but you should certainly check it out.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:49:09 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

nikeb

• i got this.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2014, 09:41:14 AM »
Thanks nime5ter,
I'll upgrade it asap

Casmo

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
Hi all,

Just curious James as to how your experimenting has been going. Anything interesting enhancements in mind?