Author Topic: Google Now Commands  (Read 5442 times)

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Google Now Commands
« on: March 08, 2014, 06:10:26 PM »
I have tinkered with the RoboBrowser actions and gotten some simple integration into the Google Now services.  Google Now is one of googles less known services but has great potential and possibility.  The Google Now service is integrated into every android 4+ device, most of you probably see it as the little mic icon on your home screen, and it is often joked as the Siri replacement.  What is not well known is that Google Now is lightly supported through desktop Google searches, for example go to google and search "Remind me to walk the dog in 30 minutes" and it will come up with the handy reminder option... ok so what, VC can obviously create reminders, and the work GREAT... as long as I am home when it goes off.  With Google Now your reminder syncs to your smart phone so you are reminded when ever you are and where ever you are; the service is also location intelligent so you can tell it to "Remind me when I get to work to Release VC Version 2" and when you arrive at your work address it will notify you.  There is a ton more Google Now is capable of, including calendar events, flight info, Sports Scores, etc...
Here is a list of some commands http://trendblog.net/list-of-google-now-voice-commands-infographic/
That being said here is my XML for the Google Now Reminder, be gentle this is my first stab with RoboB actions and still tinkering.  I will continue to add and share additional commands as I figure out each ones results id tag.
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<command id="399" name="Google Now" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>RoboB.Select</cmdType>
    <cmdString>GoogleNow</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>RoboB.Navigate</cmdType>
    <cmdString>https://www.google.com/#q=Remind&amp;Me&amp;To&amp;{1}&amp;safe=off</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>VC.Pause</cmdType>
    <cmdString>3000</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>RoboB.GetHTML</cmdType>
    <cmdString />
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>RoboB.ElementByID</cmdType>
    <cmdString>act-rmd-send</cmdString>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>RoboB.Click</cmdType>
    <cmdString />
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <phrase>Google remind me to</phrase>
  <payloadDictation>payloadDictation: Regular</payloadDictation>
</command>

“We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?”
— The Doctor, Season 5, Episode 13

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Google Now Commands
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »
Thanks Sean,

This looks very interesting.  We are not able to get it to work here.  I'm not sure what we are doing wrong.  Maybe it is because we are not in the US.  I assume that you have tested this command and it works for you?

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 01:06:03 PM »
Doing more testing here having hit or miss success as well.  The way I have it programmed it will only work for reminders currently. I think the issue is in how I am sending the URL, I will look into it more after I have clippedyesterdays video and update the post. I am curious if you just go to Google and enter the command remind me click search does it bring up the reminder options? Also I should have mentioned you will need to be logged into a Google Account on your browser.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 01:23:59 PM »
I am curious if you just go to Google and enter the command remind me click search does it bring up the reminder options? Also I should have mentioned you will need to be logged into a Google Account on your browser.

So far I have tried the following while logged in to my Google Account. In Chrome desktop browser:
1. I've tried entering the URL that you use in your xml in the Chrome address bar, but replacing {1} with "walk the dog in 10 minutes" > I get regular search results but no reminder notification options.
2. I've tried entering the phrase "remind me to walk the dog in 10 minutes" into a Google search box. > Same result.
3. I've tried using Chrome's microphone/speech recognition with the same request. Same result.
4. I've tried simply typing "remind me" into Google search bar. > I get search results for the phrase "remind me" (mostly music videos)
5. I thought maybe my settings could be wrong in Chrome, so I went into the advanced settings to make sure notifications were on etc. and did the same tests again, with no difference in the results.

Since RoboB uses Internet Explorer, I also tried signing in to my Google Account in IE and executing your command with a few different payloads. No luck there either.

If the reminder notifications are working consistently for you, I'm wondering if Google Now on the desktop is a feature that only works in the U.S. currently, or if it has to do with something else that's different about our Google accounts,  ... or ?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
It is a fun idea, but since it is based on Google, even if you get it working today, in a few weeks they will probably have changed how it works, so you will need to figure it out all over again.

If you do want to do reminders with VC though, you might be better off using the Google calendar plugin for VC.  You should still get reminders on your phone.  I don't know about the other Google Now commands.  I never got anything to work with this so I did not bother to look at what else it can do yet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 04:43:55 PM by jitterjames »

SeanCRS1

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 02:41:12 PM »
Just did some research and looks like the Google now system is currently on the US supported... Sorry Canada

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »
Thanks for looking into it, Sean.

There are a good number of U.S. VC users out there, so it will be fun for you all to explore the possibilities.

Update: I think aspects of Google Now will work in Canada as long as you also have an Android device synced to the same account with location settings enabled etc. You can't do anything where copyright issues might interfere, such as Google Music-related commands, but reminders may still work.

James has his Android device synced with his account and when signed in on his desktop was able to see the card in his browser asking him if he wanted to create a reminder. However, the URL used didn't automatically create the reminder itself.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 03:16:18 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Dominique

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:32 AM »
I am aware this is somewhat of an older topic.  However I feel implementing Google Now into VoxCommando would be awesome.  Google Now has come a long way.

http://youtu.be/2vT0AWDq3DE

The thing is, James could not technically implement into V.C. cause he may face legal litigation.  But that does not stop him from doing it personally nor the users from implementation.  

sirs2k

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
This could be helpful to you.

I've successfully implemented Google now (and search) and voxcommando through tasker and autovoice.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 05:12:56 PM »
wondering if this has evolved or it is already ready to be added to the Gems
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 05:16:46 PM »
I would not add this to gems unless someone verifies that there is something here that is still useful and working.  :-\