Author Topic: (outdated thread) XBMC for Dummies!  (Read 39325 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: XBMC for Dummies!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 08:44:54 PM »
I also just noticed that iTunes is reporting that you have more "Album Artists" than "Artists".  This is counter-intuitive.  Normally you would have less album artists than artists if you music is tagged properly.  You should also be aware that iTunes keeps a lot of information in it's internal database, ,without actually writing the information back to the file, so if you are tagging music in iTunes it may not be reflected in other programs.  I know for sure that ratings are stored only internally by iTunes, but I'm not sure about other tags.

The reason "Album Artist" should be fewer than "Artists" is that any compilation albums should be tagged with the "Album Artist" set to "Various", so all your compilation albums combined only represent 1 album artist (maybe a few accounting for variations like "various artist", "various", "various artists" etc.), whereas the songs themsleves should be tagged with "Artist" set to the actual recording artist.

Consider "500 greatest songs" from Rolling Stone magazine.  If properly tagged, this album would only have 1 album artist, but possibly 200-300 artists (assuming certain artists appear more than once).

Managing your music library is a chore.  It's like anything else.  Keeping track of your photos is even worse.  At least with music, there is a system available to us that follows certain standards.  Once your library is organized, keeping it organized is relatively easy.  Classical music is even more difficult to manage.  I haven't actually figured out how to do that, but I don't own much or care too much about it.

Another thing I recommend, if you use MediaMonkey is that multiple artists that collaborate on a song or album should be separated by a semi colon.  Some times they are tagged with an ampersand (&) which doesn't make sense becausee Bob Marley & the wailers is a band, not a collaboration.  If you use a semicolon, MediaMonkey will actual list the song under both (either) artist in the artist tree, and will only send each artist to VoxCommando once as opposed to sending 3 artists like this:

- "Artist 1"
- "Artist 2"
- "Aritist 1 & Artist 2"

When multiple artists get listed as one artist using &, it can end up being quite long , especially with 3 or more collaborators, and because VC will listen for subsets of the artist name you can end up with hundreds of phrases that it is listening for, just because of one song...  BAD!

darkzu

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2011, 12:32:11 PM »
Hi, just found about this app, so i thought to give it a try, the xbmc part is done and configured, the problem is i cant even get voxcommando to launch, as soon as i open VoxCommando.exe i get an error and this is the end.

Windows XP SP3, ive made a picture with some info.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/34sjn06.jpg

and sorry for bumping this old thread havent noticed the last post was in march
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:34:48 PM by darkzu »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Hi, just found about this app, so i thought to give it a try, the xbmc part is done and configured, the problem is i cant even get voxcommando to launch, as soon as i open VoxCommando.exe i get an error and this is the end.

Windows XP SP3, ive made a picture with some info.

http://oi44.tinypic.com/34sjn06.jpg

and sorry for bumping this old thread havent noticed the last post was in march
Hi darkzu, VoxCommando do not run under Windows XP, only Win7 or Vista.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

darkzu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
oh.. thanks, havent noticed that aswell :bonk, will try then later on win7.

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
i dont get it, its not working for me at all.

got the latest of vc and xbmc, used this dummies^^ guide but nothing is happening in xbmc, ports and pws are correct.

where could be the problem?

thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2012, 01:08:17 PM »
please start by reading my signature

the current latest version is 0936 and you can get it here: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=704.0

the wiki for XBMC set is here: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Installation_XBMC

there is a vidio guide (a bit dated but still helpful)

if you have done everything correct and it still doesn't work, make sure that your firewall is not blocking VC from talking to XBMC.  Simplest way to check that is to turn your windows firewall off and test.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:17:36 PM by jitterjames »

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »
thanks for your replay

by latest i mean: VC : 0.921
xbmc: 10.1 Dharma

windows 7, with line in mic(it works)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
That's why "latest" is meaningless.

the latest version of VC at the time I write this is 0.936

and the latest version of XBMC (that I know of) at the time I write this is xbmc-11.0-Eden_beta1 http://mirrors.xbmc.org/releases/win32/

the general installation guide is here: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Installation

there is plenty of other info in the wiki and on the forum.  If you want help you should try to be specific as possible about what you did and what does and does not work.

You should also check if windows built-in speech recognition works.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:30:52 PM by jitterjames »

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
well i mostly find it better not to work with beta's but ok.

the problem seems to be that vc cant connect to xbmc, when i try to get my songs etc. with genxml it says, remoteserver gave failure back (401).

but even the "ignore me" phrase dont work... (23,3%) always

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2012, 01:33:15 PM »
I am not saying that you have to use the latest version of XBMC, only that you should tell us what actual version you are using.

from what you describe, you either set it up wrong or you have network problems, or your firewall is blocking you.

disable your firewall and if it is still not working send us an image of your VC >> Options >> XBMC screen and an image of your XBMC network settings.  I will be happy to take a look

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2012, 01:36:12 PM »
but even the "ignore me" phrase dont work... (23,3%) always
if that is the case then your mic setup is not good enough, or there is a language issue (like you don't have windows english language pack installed).  If you do have english language on your OS then try to run WSR speech setup and training.

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 01:43:43 PM »
ok i figuered the netwrok problem... damn firewall^^ but still its not recogniseing any of the commands, even the "ignore me"....

i try to give you all information i got but, i dont know what to tell, as my mic works, windows built-in speech recognition works!

thats what vc shows all the time!

Dave

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
Hast du eine deutsche Version von Win7 installiert?
Dann solltest du auch deutsche Befehle benutzen, da ja die englische Aussprache ganz anders ist...
Du kannst in den Optionen auch die "requiered confidence" etwas runterstellen.
Die englische Spracherkennung (sofern sie denn installiert ist) funktioniert meiner Erfahrung nach allerdings besser als die deutsche.

Edit: Wenn du mit einer deutschen Windows-Version trotzdem englische Befehle verwenden willst, musst du sie entweder so aufschreiben wie sie ausgesprochen werden (z.B. ignor mi statt ignore me) oder aber das englische Languagepack zusätzlich installieren. Das fnuktioniert aber nur mit der Ultimate Version ohne weiteres.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:09:07 PM by Dave »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2012, 02:15:18 PM »
do a "File >> Purge Cache" and then "File >> Full restart"

click "Help >> Generate Help Menu" to make sure you are saying commands that exist correctly.

you can try to turn on logging. Click: "Options >> Enable Log" (should be checked), then restart.  Try a few commands, then close and upload the file voxlog.txt to this thread.  It will be in the same folder as VoxCommando.exe

You did WSR training?  WSR is actually able to understand most of what you say?

Mimic

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
ok guys im so sry, i didnt know there where different language, i thought they were all preinstalled^^ sry.

know its working fine, its just AWESOME!!! to sad its not available for linux/openelec. i woult buy it immediately^^

thanks and keep up the good work, awesome job!