Author Topic: Amulet Remote and VirtualBox  (Read 14861 times)

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: Amulet Remote and VirtualBox
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
...Confirmed amulet works on the host too. Still cant get the actual audio in the guest to work.

If the Amulet dongle is properly recognized in the guest OS, then it shouldn't work in the host at the same time. Is this the case?  Or does it continue to work in the host OS as a microphone at all times?

What is the host OS you're using?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 04:22:38 PM by ajith »

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
If the Amulet dongle is properly recognized in the guest OS, then it shouldn't work in the host at the same time. Is this the case?  Or does it continue to work in the host OS as a microphone at all times?

What is the host OS you're using?
Hi ajith, Thanks, Sorry didn't mean to insinuate those were concurrently happening. No thats not the case, you can only see in either the guest or the host, correct.

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
Hmm .... can't think of anything else that can be tried at the moment (its 1:00 am here in India, and I'm half asleep :)
Will try to figure out something tomorrow. Meanwhile what's the host OS you're using? Maybe the answer is somewhere in this thread, but in my present state, I couldn't find it!

-Ajith

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 04:41:45 PM »
Hmm .... can't think of anything else that can be tried at the moment (its 1:00 am here in India, and I'm half asleep :)
Will try to figure out something tomorrow. Meanwhile what's the host OS you're using? Maybe the answer is somewhere in this thread, but in my present state, I couldn't find it!

-Ajith
Lol, many thanks ajith. My host is too on win10

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »
@vulcanjedi - I thought you were running Virtualbox on a Macintosh? You're not running OS X on that machine?
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 08:53:48 PM »
@nime5ter wow you know me so well!!
I used to run VB on my OSX mac and natively used the mic here. But it used to really hammer my system from time to time. I have an older Mac Air and it would make my MBA really heat up from time/time. With the IR USB function of the amulet and the more resources available to my big machine, I want to use VB on the windows 10 host in the room next door.
Regardless the usb pass through should work to the guest (win10).
i've USB redirected usb drives / bt adapters successfully in the past.  :-\
I suppose I could dual boot or otherwise use windows on my Mac natively as the HW supports it being Intel now....but I'd prefer not to dual boot or blow out my OSX partition.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:59:00 PM by vulcanjedi »

ajith

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 11:59:58 PM »
So its a Win10 guest VM inside a Win10 host! Like Nime5ter, I too was under the impression you were running something else (Linux) as the host OS. I'm sure you'll have your reasons for the redundancy :)
Sadly, my experience is with VB on Linux hosts. I don't have a Win 10 machine to try it either.

I had a bit of struggle initially to make the Amulet mic work on Linux.  (See beginning of this thread) Part of the problem was some permission related issues. I had to add my Linux host user to a "vboxusers" group. Now I'm wondering if the current problem is similar. Try running VirtualBox as Administrator, see if you can "allow" VB through UAC, etc. Also, try playing around with the VirtualBox Audio Controller. Try the solution in this link: stackoverflow.com/questions/28134018/microphone-in-windows-10-in-virtualbox

Check the Windows Event viewer logs on the guest OS as well as the host for any clues.

-Ajith

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2015, 12:11:16 AM »
Yes ajith, I have varied reasons for using VB on a win host and whatever guests. I have linux guests and other this voxcommando win10 guest. I dont really think the host os should particularly matter?

I may migrate my VM to a different host. Previously I was using my Air and as an open mic system but again, the hw of my MBA is having a harder time keeping up over time.  Currently my most flexible host that i want to mess around w/ w/o impacting other things is this win10 host. 
The ability to backup/snapshot/migrate a VM to other host systems being another reason.
Snapshotting before installs and changes to test/troubleshoot such as this.

I will try to go over some of your suggestions but may be a bit I think another busy week ahead.  Thanks for insight. It would be nice to get on that win10 host with lots of RAM/CPU and the RF range of the Amulet.
However that link I believe was based on the win10 tech preview, and my amulet works in win10 Natively.
I did try do change to the other audio controllers but those didn't seem to recognize the remote properly at all let alone the audio but I can try again.

So its a Win10 guest VM inside a Win10 host! Like Nime5ter, I too was under the impression you were running something else (Linux) as the host OS. I'm sure you'll have your reasons for the redundancy :)
Sadly, my experience is with VB on Linux hosts. I don't have a Win 10 machine to try it either.

I had a bit of struggle initially to make the Amulet mic work on Linux.  (See beginning of this thread) Part of the problem was some permission related issues. I had to add my Linux host user to a "vboxusers" group. Now I'm wondering if the current problem is similar. Try running VirtualBox as Administrator, see if you can "allow" VB through UAC, etc. Also, try playing around with the VirtualBox Audio Controller. Try the solution in this link: stackoverflow.com/questions/28134018/microphone-in-windows-10-in-virtualbox

Check the Windows Event viewer logs on the guest OS as well as the host for any clues.

-Ajith
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:41:41 AM by vulcanjedi »