Author Topic: Windows 10 launch problem  (Read 3890 times)

NoSock

Windows 10 launch problem
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:57:14 PM »
I've got some strange problems on Win 10. Any _installed_ version doesn't seem to work. It shows the preset choosing dialogue on the first launch, but goes dead afterwards. The portable one found on the internet seems to work, without some useful features like Skype calling or launching some programs however. It works kinda properly on the compatibility settings set to WinXP sp3 and Administator privileges, but no compatibility settings work for an official installed version. I would provide any information that could help if I knew which one is useful.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Windows 10 launch problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:17:02 PM »
It's not clear what you mean by "any installed version". Can you clarify?

VoxCommando is a portable program, and when you run the installer there is a notification that instructs users not to install it in a system folder. Users are instructed to create a folder in a non-system location and install VC in that folder.

To uninstall VC, simply delete the folder.

What do you mean by "portable one found on the internet"? The only legitimate place to download VoxCommando is from the downloads page of the VoxCommando website: http://voxcommando.com/home/downloads/

In general, it's always helpful to know what version of VC you're using. What version of .Net do you have?

Skype calling requires enabling the Skype plugin. It's not clear from your description whether you did that and configured the plugin etc.

Currently there is no preset configuration that has the Skype plugin enabled by default, so that would need to be enabled after choosing a config, and then the plugin would need to be configured to work with your Skype account, per the tutorial video. http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Control_Skype (older video so the UI has changed a little, but still the correct information).

If you haven't yet read through the wiki documentation on installation and "getting started", that might help as well... or the video tutorials if that's preferable.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:49:25 AM by jitterjames »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »
VoxCommando does not require any compatibility settings to be used in Windows Vista, 7, 8, or 10.

VoxCommando never worked on Windows XP so enabling compatibility settings for XP is bound to do more harm than good.

What gave you the idea that you needed to enable compatibility settings in the first place?

NoSock

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »
I'm sorry, I have perhaps said it all a bit unclear.

First of all, yes, I have read through to wiki/"getting started" and I have also used a program a bit before. When I said "installed", I meant "not downloaded as a Rar or something but installed by the official installer instead". I do realize that this is the only legitimate source of the program, but I was trying anything to solve the problem myself.

Now about those "portable version" and compatibility stuff. The portable is a version derived by someone out there from the VoxCommando version 4.1.2, run in a some kind of a sandbox, i suppose. So whenever I try to make a Skype call it launches a new Skype instance and throws various errors at me. The reason I used the "windows xp sp3 compatibility" on that odd portable version was that it seemed to enable the AudioEndpoint plugin, which didn't work other way.

Now when it comes to the normal version that I would definitely prefer, I tried installing the same 2.1.4, 2.2.0.9 and the Beta 2.2.1.4 to D:/Programs/VoxCommando which I believe is not a system protected folder. When I encountered the problem, I tried if any of those compatibility params would help just in case.

Oh, yeah, an the .NET version I am using is 4.5.1 (at least that's what would the installer say if I try to install .net).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 01:32:15 PM by NoSock »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
Normally D:\Programs\VoxCommando is not protected but it depends on how your system is set up.

What language is your operating system? English?

When you say
It shows the preset choosing dialogue on the first launch, but goes dead afterwards.
it's a big vague.  Can you be more precise?

What file are you trying to execute?  What does "go dead" mean?  When exactly does it happen?  Are there any messages that appear?

That portable file that you describe.  The only possible reason I can think of why someone would post that is to serve as a crack.  There is just no other reason to do it.

NoSock

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 02:35:30 PM »
Yes, my operation system is set up to English and I tried different locations so that might not be a reason.

I try to launch VC via either "VCLaunch" or "VoxCommandoSP.exe", but the SAPI version does just the same. First I get an error about the languages not installed (if I run it not as an Admin of course), then it asks for making changes on a pc via User Access Control and once I click "Yes"... nothing happens at all. The process sometimes hangs a bit in a Task Manager among the background processes and that's all.

Agreed, sounds logical. Well, the portable launched a trial version, but there probably is a crack for that portable out there.

By the way, I tried cleaning up the registry for "vox" assuming that the portable might have written something weird there, but it didn't help.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:38:45 PM by NoSock »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
The UAC message is a bad sign.  I believe that means that yes you did install VC into a protected folder and so it won't work.

You should not be trying to run the SP version.  Just run VoxCommando.exe

Try creating a new folder d:\voxcommando and do a fresh install in that folder.  You can use either of the two versions currently available on our downloads page.

You can try to run it as administrator but normally this is not required.  Installation is normally dead simple so my guess is that you chose the wrong place to install it.

FYI I am not available for the rest of the day but if you still need help maybe someone else will have suggestions.

Otherwise maybe I can help you via TeamViewer on Monday.

NoSock

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »
OK, thanx for that. the D:\\VoxCommando doesn't work either but I noticed a little error icon in the tray for a second, will try to find out what that is

P.S. I'm actually having some weird system problems that prevent me from deleting files from D:\\... Will reinstall it try on a fresh Windows

P.P.S. on the fresh Windows it works just fine! Thanx for efforts and good luck ;)

P.P.P.S Nope, only the Sapi version works. That's something, but I would rather use SP instead, which still acts as it did.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 06:20:46 PM by NoSock »

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
Do you have Speech Platform 11 (x86 version) installed?

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=MS_Speech_Platform

That has to be done separately to run VoxCommandoSP.exe. Don't think you mentioned above that you'd done all those steps already, but maybe I missed it.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

NoSock

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 06:48:29 PM »
Yeah, I actually just turned back now to tell that it solved the problem) The VC just didn't want to work with a 64-bit runtime on a new system. The problem was different in the first place, but now everything's ok. Thanx for all the help and support!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 08:43:43 AM »
Why do you prefer to use the SP version?

The instructions for using the SP version of VoxCommando clearly state that you must install the x86 (32 bit) version of the speech platform runtime.
http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=MS_Speech_Platform
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 06:46:44 PM by jitterjames »

NoSock

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
Yes of course they do. I just had already got used to reinstalling VC so much by that time that I just forgot it :)

The reason to use SP is that it supports my native language which is Russian. I could use it in English of course, but it just gives a more kind of AI feel to speak to it in a native language

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
OK.  I just wanted to establish that what we are looking at here is just user error and maybe some problems with your system.  Because "The VC just didn't want to work with a 64-bit runtime on a new system." makes it sound like you thought that it was malfunctioning for some unknown reason.

As for using SP, that makes sense and is the reason why we added the option. I just wanted to check because some English users assume that SP must be better just because it was added later or because it has an '11' in it.   :biglaugh

Your English is excellent so I did not know if you spoke another language.  Congrats on your English.  I wish I could speak a second language as well! :)