Author Topic: Greetings - Currently building Dave!  (Read 3046 times)

Jazzik

• View Profile
Greetings - Currently building Dave!
« on: December 17, 2014, 06:08:58 AM »
Hi All,

First off props on an amazing app! Played with the trial for about 10minutes before deciding I needed this in my life.

Currently working on simulating an AI called Dave! He'll currently happily control my xbmc, hue lights and Onkyo with combined commands, still not having much luck with the TiVo but I've found the thread so there must be a way! - Getting myself a Vera and Roomba for christmas, so hopefully itll grow into an amazing system, waking me up in the mornings with the latest news and weather, put the kettle on and do the cleaning while I'm out!

Duno how thats going to work out, probably some kind of tasker integration, need to get my hands on the roomba and vera first! Not really played with RoboBrowser much, be interesting to see if I can do some kinda of Google Now integration too.

This post isnt without its questions though, just wondering now that the official kinect 2.0 pc adapter has been announced will there be any work done to integrate this with VC like the first one? The microphone on it is brilliant. I'd also like to know whether anyone has successfully utilise numerous open microphones in different rooms, or is it more likely that I'll need to have seperate PC's/Android devices in different rooms.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: Greetings - Currently building Dave!
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
I'd also like to know whether anyone has successfully utilise numerous open microphones in different rooms, or is it more likely that I'll need to have seperate PC's/Android devices in different rooms.

Hi Jazzik. Sounds like a fun VC laboratory you've got going on.

I'll let the open mic folks who've posted in other threads share their strategies/successes/failures on that front, but thought I'd mention that if you're using VoxWav on Android, you shouldn't need separate PCs per se. Each Android could be communicating with the same central VC installation. (Maybe you already know this -- it wasn't clear from your post.)

Also wanted to give you a heads up about the Vera controller. You want to have UI5 installed, not UI7, so if yours comes with UI7, definitely downgrade immediately to save yourself many headaches (not just in terms of working with VC -- people are complaining about UI7 all over the place).
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

Jazzik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Hey,

Thanks very much for the heads up on the Vera, ill be sure to sort it out:)

As for the numerous android devices, currently I have a couple of tablets that are wall mounted, one next to my bed and one acting as a media centre in the bathroom! VoxWav Pro running on them both. Its a good solution but I guess I dream of open mic, hands free and all perfect (A big dream I know)

I really am loving this program by the way. You guys have done brilliantly!

squatingyeti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 03:47:11 PM »
Welcome Jazzik! I'm fairly new to VC as well, but I'll give you some insights that I've learned from my time. Tasker integration with VC works awesome using autoremote. I use my prefix as the command filter to let autovoice know to pass the rest of the statement to VC through the TCP/IP plugin. Then I have it scrape TTS back to me through autoremote if I want a response. This lets me issue commands away from home or use any of my android devices as a sort of mobile mic.

As for the kinect, I am, as of today, about to test my living room with the original kinect setup. I currently have VC running on my main PC in the office using a blue yeti as my mic and that works great. I'll report back with results using the kinect in the lving room. I'll be about 9 1/2 feet away, so we'll see how she holds up when the speakers are pumping sound around the room.

Lastly, I recently plunged head first into the zwave party. I got about 6 devices and a veralite all setup in the last 2 weeks. Things have been ok for me on UI7, but I'm not sure what I'm missing with UI5 though. I've been able to get PLEG and PLTS installed and working, although the UI7 really didn't want to register them, but persistence paid off. Other than setting scenes or whatnot, I don't touch the actual UI so it doesn't bother me. A combination of VC, autovera, tasker, and autovoice control everything.

keithj69

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 10:53:55 AM »
Keep in mind that if you get the vera edge, i think you are stuck with ui7.

I have been playing around with open air mics for a few months now.   there are a lot of factors in using it that i have been learning over the course.  My open air project has slowed down because I am trying to figure out how I am going to tie my living room sound back into my xap800 for noise cancellation.  I figure that during the holidays I may come up with something.
 Recently I have picked up a couple of used tablets off of swappa and have actually started using them more for the voice control.  Voxwav on android is a great tool. If you have old android devices just lying around, I would recommend starting with them in the vc side of things first.
Check out the open air mic sub forum. If you have any questions,  feel free to ask. 

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
This seems as good a place as any to mention that there are now cheap Windows 8 tablets that run full Windows 8.1 and can therefore run VC directly on the tablet.  Apart from the possible issues with battery life, this looks like a very interesting option, especially if you just want to use it for light stuff like home automation.  I don't think they have a lot of RAM to spare so trying to use it with a large A/V media library might not work so well.

I have not tested one myself yet, but I have seen one for sale here for $99.00 at our local Futureshop that should work.  We may pick one up in January to test it out.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
Yes, I can confirm that VC run on this cheap 8" Windows 8.1 tablets. It has only 1GB RAM and 16GB disk space. It is possible to upgrade the disk space with a SD card.

Here is my one: http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/tablets/ionik+8+windows+pad+white+edition#navbar
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Jazzik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 05:02:59 AM »
Dave has now evolved into Amy (Ivona gives a better girls voice!). First proper test this morning, relied on it to wake me up!

7:30am ->

"Good Morning, Hope you slept well?"

*lights dim on*

"Today is looking like it will be cloudy, with a 10% chance of rain and a low of 2 Degress"

*wemo socket flicks into life - kettle starts to boil*

"I'll put the kettle on for you, and show you the news, unfortunately you'll have to get the cup out yourself!"

*Onkyo input changes to TiVO, TiVO changes over to BBC News Channel*

At the third beep, the time sponsored by lazy bugger makes the computer do everything will be....beep...beep...beep..... 7:30

I am in love with Amy! VC is money well spent!