Author Topic: Can I use Skype as my microphone  (Read 2550 times)

jb5349

• View Profile
Can I use Skype as my microphone
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:16:41 AM »
I was thinking of something the other day regarding using Skype with VC and wanted to see if it was possible, and how to go about implementing this. Currently I am using Mobiola Headset for iPhone to have two-way communication with VC to my PC. I would prefer to use Skype instead.. and here's why... through my questions.

1. Is it possible to setup Skype with VC so that, when I call my computer, I have Skype auto-answer. But VC is listening to my call since it is set as the audio input device. Then when it replies, I hear the TTS response via Skype? If so, how do I set this up, and does the VC Skype plugin have this built-in?

2. Would it be possible to have VC know which person is calling and thus provide different information. For example, lets say I call my computer, VC see's my Skype ID and knows its me and says, "Hi Jeff, how may I help you?" and then I can proceed to speak, however when my wife calls, it see's her Skype ID and says "Hi Barbara, what can I do for you?", then lets say I also let someone else I know call in to chat with VC, but since the call is not coming from me or my wife, VC says "Hi there, please provide the passcode in order to interact with me" and then the person must state a code, or VC will not enable any commands.  Is this even possible?  If nothing else, I would like to be able to have the responses more personalized based on who is talking to VC, between my wife and myself. Would be great it VC could at least track a profile and then switch between the MS Speech profiles and even preferred TTS voice, etc. based on who is calling on Skype. (Feature request maybe?)

3. Finally, assuming the first option is possible, would it also be possible to use the Skype chat so that VC does OSD info in the Skype Chat and anything I type is treated like I spoke it? That would be really great to have available.

If anyone has been able to get this or something similar working, I would love to learn how as I find the Mobiola headset very limiting and the potential of using Skype as the two-way audio interface with kind of a user personalization a really great solution in general, and also for all of us using iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, etc.) But also it makes it even more universal to anything which can run Skype.

Thanks!
Jeff

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:11:38 AM »
Ok I actually figured out the part with using Skype to call VC and have it response. Pretty simple using Virtual Audio Cable. I created two Virtual Cables, set one with Mic input and one as Line. On Skype, changed audio settings so the TTS output was set as the Mic setting on Skype and the Speaker setting was the virtual cable set the the audio Recording Device in windows. Then I set Skype to automatically answer calls. I checked box to only answer calls from those on my contacts list. I only have my Skype ID and my wife's.. which makes it more secure. Now I can call VC from anywhere in the world. And this didn't need the VC Skype Plugin to do this, just Virtual Audio Cable software which is available online. (it's not cheap but solves the problem).

All you need is one dedicated Skype ID for your VoxCommando system (or home automation PC) and then your own personal Skype account.

Now paired with the VC Skype plugin, I just need to figure out how to get VC to see it's me (my Skype ID, and greet me with a random variation of "Hi Jeff, how may I help you?" or "Hi there Jeff, thanks for calling." And also for VC to check before responding to certain commands, who it is talking to via Skype. So then I can personalize the responses between my wife and I.

Imagine all the possibilities now? When can also add events to have VC call us to alert us of situations within the home space, or Skype chat us with the data, reminders, etc.

I am excited as now VC is now available to me anywhere I go.. on my iPhone, iPad... and hopefully soon Apple Watch (in 2015).  Oh and all Android devices that run Skype app. Now I can finally retire my Mobiola app, it was good while it lasted. Simple solution.. works for all. No special apps required on devices other than Skype.

Skype + Virtual Audio Cable + VoxCommando 2.1 = Awesomeness! (let's not forget about Skype's speaker phone button and mute in case things get crazy)

Now how can we make this even better? Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:16:38 AM by jb5349 »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »
jeff

I do have all what you are asking for ... in short yes it is doable ... and works like a charm, I find the accuracy of VC through Skype is amazing .... explaining how to do it will take a bit of typing ... so I will post some commands in the xml exchange in the coming couple of days ...
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »
Since you already have VAC figured out, I suggest your next step is to enable the Skype plugin and take a look at the various events that are generated when you receive calls or text messages.  This should get you started with a lot of your ideas.

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:43 AM »
Thanks Haddood, looking forward to learning more.

jitterjames, thanks for your response. I have been trying to understand the plugin and wasn't sure how to get the who's calling Skype ID so I could set a variable in VC to "Jeff" which can be used with other commands to personalize them?

Jeff

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
I just told you!

Maybe take a look at the Skype tutorial video?

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:25:21 PM »
I understand what you mean. I forget that VC shows events in the history. I will see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Update:

I found the event of Skype.clsinProgress.cltIncomingP2P when the call comes in. But I have not found a way to determine who is calling? I am wanting to get the SkypeID of the caller so that I can setup a IF A ==B statement. If SkypeID is MySkypeName then set a variable {CurrentUser} to "Jeff".

I do see where it shows to get user info, but it appears you already need to know the Skype ID. If anyone has made this work so that VC can answer the call and say "Hello" and then your name based on who is calling, that is what I am trying to do.

Thanks,
Jeff
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:29:11 PM by jb5349 »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
Maybe take a look at the Skype tutorial video?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:01 PM »
Maybe you should also look at the documentation and tutorial video for events.

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:21 PM »
Please embed the video tutorial in your Skype Plugin Wiki page. You referred to it but I had to go search it out on Youtube to find it. I have been away form working with VC for many months now and since version 2 came out I thought I would come back to it. I am a little rusty on using VC and haven't kept up with all the changes, video tutorials, etc. so I apologize.

For those like me.. here is the tutorial being mentioned.

Thanks jitterjames for pointing me in the right direction.  :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
This page of the wiki already links to it

http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Control_Skype

If you are catching up then you might want to bookmark our YouTube channel which has a section full of tutorials.

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 04:43:59 PM »
I've now changed the youtube link on the page James mentions to an embedded video. Clicking on that link, however, should have taken you directly to the Skype tutorial video and no additional "searching" should have been required.

A possibly useful note for everyone: The wiki has a video tutorial index page.  This lists and links to all the official video tutorials. It also links to the youtube tutorial channel.

There are several links to the video tutorial index on the main page of the wiki.

One of those links is in the left-hand margin. The left-hand margin contains the major links to all wiki pages that are important. It should be accessible/visible no matter where you are on the wiki.

Also I recommend that people use the Custom Google Search on the wiki home page. It searches both the wiki and the forum.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:48:18 PM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jb5349

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 01:13:23 AM »
And see I didn't even see the Control Skype page before you linked to it.. Just this one http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Plugin_Skype  which now I see a link at the very top of that page for the Control Skype page. I was looking for the answers in the wrong place because I wasn't even sure what I was looking for.

Anyway, thanks for clearing all that up jitterjames. Great software by the way, especially with the v2.1 update!

Also thanks nime5ter for the change to embedded video as that is much easier to find when that is what I was looking for since other plugin pages have them. I learned several new things today about VC and how the wiki is setup.

Thanks again! Now back to command building..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:16:50 AM by jb5349 »

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »
I see that you figured it out all ...  :clap
When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures