Author Topic: paging an android phone?  (Read 2098 times)

chillbone

• View Profile
paging an android phone?
« on: July 09, 2014, 09:29:37 AM »
i would like to ask VC "wheres my phone?" and have the phone ring

ideally, this would be done through something like android device manager, which rings the phone at full volume even if the phone is on silent

a less ideal workaround would be to call the phone

having a look at adm, i dont think you can form an http request to make it page a lost device

any thoughts about a good way to do this?

cheers

cb

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
Re: paging an android phone?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
James may come up with a more elegant option that doesn't involve any extra installations. In the meantime, I just tried the following solution, which works just fine with my old T-mobile Android, if you don't mind texting your phone.

I installed the free "Where's My Droid" app on my phone: http://wheresmydroid.com/. The app does the same thing as Android Device Manager, so even if your phone is on silent it will ring at full volume or use a custom ring or siren, depending on how you configured the app. (It also has some other features.)

To locate the phone you can text it a special "attention word" that you've set up within the app. (You can also log in to their website and send the special code message from there.)

Depending on your carrier, you can often email an SMS message to the SMS Gateway, which means we can use the SMTP actions within VC.

The following simple command worked with my phone, no issues. My special attention word here is "Ring me":
Code: [Select]
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<!--VoxCommando 2.0.0.0-->
<command id="297" name="Where's my phone" enabled="true" alwaysOn="False" confirm="False" requiredConfidence="0" loop="False" loopDelay="0" loopMax="0" description="">
  <action>
    <cmdType>TTS.Speak</cmdType>
    <params>
      <param>Locating phone.</param>
    </params>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>SMTP.Send</cmdType>
    <params>
      <param>[mycellphonenumber]@tmomail.net</param>
      <param />
      <param>Ring me</param>
    </params>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <action>
    <cmdType>TTS.Speak</cmdType>
    <params>
      <param>Message sent.</param>
    </params>
    <cmdRepeat>1</cmdRepeat>
  </action>
  <phrase>Where's my phone</phrase>
</command>

You would need to know the email domain for your provider, though. I'm not sure they all have them nowadays. Here's one reference list: http://martinfitzpatrick.name/list-of-email-to-sms-gateways/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:00:35 AM by nime5ter »
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
I would have suggested using RoboBrowser but Google in their infinite wisdom have made this service completely inaccessible to internet explorer which is what RoboBrowser uses.

The only other option (apart from Nime5ter's excellent looking solution) would be to use Chrome or Firefox and mouse/keyboard emulation, but it hardly seems worth it.

I'm all for finding fun new ways to use VC, but really, how often do you lose your phone that you need a voice command for it?  :biglaugh

nime5ter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Getting Started with VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »
I would have suggested using RoboBrowser but Google in their infinite wisdom have made this service completely inaccessible to internet explorer which is what RoboBrowser uses.

Where's my Droid also has a web-based interface called "Commander" that you may be able to use w/ RoboB instead of texting your phone.
TIPS: POST VC VERSION #. Explain what you want VC to do. Say what you've tried & what happened, or post a video demo. Attach VC log. Link to instructions followed.  Post your command (xml)

chillbone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:08:06 PM »
thanks for the fast replies!

yes i /my wife/my kids tend to lose my phone somewhere in the house about once a week, and it always seems to be when im running late for something

usual process is to find my wifes phone (a job in itself), call my phone and pray it isnt on silent. so its definitely not a gimmick function for me  :)

now i need beacon, rfid, or btle tech to hurry up, so i can do the same thing with my car keys and tv remote