Author Topic: USB-UIRT plugin demonstration of learning IR codes  (Read 16318 times)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
USB-UIRT plugin demonstration of learning IR codes
« on: August 25, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
USB-UIRT plugin demonstration of learning IR codes and storing them in maps, then exporting to payloadXML

Demo:

Tutorial:

UPDATE AUGUST 30TH:

I have released version 1.1.5.0 of VoxCommando: http://voxcommando.com/downloads.asp

I am attaching the XML code now to this post so you can use this method yourself!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:46:26 PM by jitterjames »

JasonFox

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT plugin demonstration of learning IR codes
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:02:39 PM »
Great Video. How well does the USBIRT learn AC remote codes? I noticed you mentioned that fan and AC remote codes are different from your standard remote codes. This is what I have found as well.  The iTach learned all the Tivo and TV remote commands I needed without too much difficulty but I have been unable to capture any commands for my AC unit or for my MCE remote (pc sleep, Win+1 for example). If the USBIRT can capture those kinds of commands I might have go out an spend some more money  :P  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:16:27 AM »
I will get back to you after I have done some tests.  I don't actually have an air conditioner since most of the time we are concerned with staying warm round these parts.  In the summer, a fan is usually enough.

When I was researching ways to learn the short burst codes, I came across usbuirt users who were having the same problems with their ac units that I was having with my fan.  That is why I mentioned AC units.

I also have an air purifier that uses codes that are "different" from my media remotes, so I'll compare usbuirt to the itach when learning for my, fan, my air purifier, and the MCE remote.

Do you have problems with all buttons on the MCE remote, or just certain ones?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 10:23:03 AM by nime5ter »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 10:57:14 AM »
I have tested all three remotes (MCE, Fan, and Air purifier) on both the iTach and the USB-UIRT.

I did not have any problems with any of the remotes on the iTach, except that sometimes you need to try more than once to learn the code, and sometimes you need to adjust the "gaps" and the number of times you send a code depending on the device.  I am hoping as I develop the learning for VC and iTach to make this a bit better.

The iTach accepts short bursts by default, whereas the USB-UIRT tries to wait until it has received the same code multiple times in succession, and if you want to accept short bursts you have to do a song and dance.  This means that for normal remotes the USB-UIRT is probably more likely to get the code right on the first try (I think).

In terms of the USB-UIRT, for some remotes than don't send a continuous stream it is actually easier with the iTach.

Also important to note, I have found that the iLearn program version 2.4 seems to work better than version 2.5.

So to sum up, I can learn all my codes from all 3 remotes quite easily with either the iTach or the USB-UIRT device.  The USB-UIRT is a bit easier to aim your remote at.  The placement of the pinhole for learning on the iTach is very poor, right next to the power plug, and you need to fiddle with the settings more, but it will learn anything that I can throw at it.

If you need specific codes for the MCE remote just let me know what buttons you need and what format you want (Pronto, GC, or GC compressed) and I will send them to you.

I do eventually want to create an online database of code-sets that will make sharing easier, but it will probably take some time for me to get to it.

Advantage of USBUIRT:
- Less expensive (about 1/2 the price of iTach I think)
- Works great with VoxCommando and eventGhost
- Receives codes as well as sending so it can trigger events etc.
- Easier to set up, no network worries etc.

Advantage of iTach Wifi2IR
- Works without a computer - so better for using with smart phones and tablets directly with an app like iRule or with Vera etc.
- Works without a computer so it is easier to place it anywhere in your home, all you need is a power outlet, or USB port for power.
- Also works well with VC and I will be working on perfecting the learn process so that hopefully it will be just as good as what you have just seen on the USB-UIRT demo.

These are SOME of the advantages.  I'm sure there are other considerations that I've missed here.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:16:56 AM by nime5ter »

JasonFox

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
Thanks for doing that additional testing I appreciate it. It sounds like I need to give my iTach another try with learning.

I'll let you know how it goes.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 03:28:06 AM »
brilliant stuff, as always.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:14:37 PM »
Here is the iTach version:

&index=5

I'm sure it would be possible to do this with the Halx as well...

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 12:40:32 AM »
 ;) this is looking really great James! I always find when it comes to IR codes that I get to a point where it is just taking way to long. But again this looks really good. Thanks for the youtube uploads as well as all the testing you have done on this. Keep us posted on that new version  :P

JasonFox

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 02:42:37 AM »
I just wanted to update. I have successfully learned the keys I needed from the MCE remote. It seemed the trick was adjusting the gap as you suggested and moving the remote further away from the iTach when learning. I was placing it pretty close (2-4") and it seemed to capture much better in the 5-8" range. (at least for those codes). Still no luck with AC codes though. I'll keep trying. I'll give it a go with the iTach through Vox when available and see if I have any success there as well.

Thanks again.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »
I don't have any first hand experience with AC units but if you want to do a Google hangout at some point maybe I can help you figure it out.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:22:34 PM »
If you want to try this yourself, and you have a UUIRT please check out the first post of this thread which I have just updated!

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1169.0

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Good day all. I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar problem to me...

I received my USB-UIRT yesterday and plugged it in, latest driver installed from UIRT website (win 7 32bit)
Downloaded the latest VC 1.1.5.0 and enabled the USBUIRT plugin for VC. Did a full restart.

Once VC has started up again I can press a button on my remote and it generates an event in history (USB-UIRT red light comes on as well). However once I go into the plugin or try to learn IR commands via the posted xml the UIRT seems to stop working. If I say "learn button volume up" VC waits for my input but the UIRT does nothing (no red light or anything) Similar story when I actually launch the plugin for the device as well. I select Learn and then it is as if my device just shuts down.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Hopefully I am just missing something small

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »
Are you pointing a remote correctly about 2 to 3 inches from the receiver and pressing a button, and holding it down?  You should aim a little bit to the left of the red led on the front of the device. Have you tried different ir remotes?

Are you able to learn codes using the software from usbuirt?  If not then it is possible your unit is defective.

mdsh

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 07:04:15 PM »
Hi James, thank you for the quick response!

I just plugged the USB-UIRT into one of my other computers and it just worked fine  ::confused

Not sure where I went wrong on the other machine as I have sat for the past hour making sure I did everything the same on both.
Thanks again for the quick response. Have a great weekend your side

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 08:10:28 PM »
Sounds like a case of computeroid craptosis.

Did you try different USB ports on the bad computer?  Does it run the same OS etc.?  Is it in the same environment?  IR learning can be sensitive to stray IR signals that can be generated by other sources such as sunlight, and CFL backlights on LCD screens etc.