Author Topic: Certain files play through VC, others fail  (Read 1445 times)

carl.esbjorn

• View Profile
Certain files play through VC, others fail
« on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »
Been trying out VoxCommando for the past weekend, and been very impressed so far.
I seem however, to have encountered a slight inconsistency regarding playback of certain files.

Using (XBMCSetup-20121007-f13566b-master) together with VoxCommando 0.965, I've managed to scrape all files, and generated necessary XML.
Some files play without issue, but some fail to launch. It successfully selects the correct movie in VoxCommando, but never starts. Running debug in XBMC, I find an error (line 931) but can't figure out what the issue is. Playing the same film by clicking it in XBMC works as intended, as can be seen further down in the xbmc.log (from line 1104).
http://pastebin.com/JcJ24MeR

I might add that I've tried with numerous different files (MKV vs AVI), (RAR vs. Un-rared) etc. all seems very inconsistent.

The debug is a bit messy as I run libCEC HDMI adapter (works with a bliss together with VoxCommando, being able to start tv/receiver simply by talking to it..)

Sincerely,
Carl

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Certain files play through VC, others fail
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:09 PM »
Hi Carl and welcome to the forum. :D

Would it be possible to send the corresponding VoxCommando log, or could you point out which particular command(s) you are using in VoxCommando.  Does this only happen with the "play movie XYZ" command?

I imagine that the problem only occurs with Frodo and not with Eden?  I usually use the "Find Movie" command with uses smart playlists, but in my testing I've never had any problems with "play movie" on Eden.  I suppose it could be related to the crazy filenames and the fact that they are in rar files?  (I know you said it happened with other files too but I who knows).  The xbmc log doesn't really say much other than "error opening" so that's not very meaningful to me.

You said "playback of certain files" and "all seems very inconsistent".  Could you please be more specific about which files work and which do not?  Is it always the same files that don't work, or will the same file work one time and then not another time?  I have never heard of anything like this before so I will need your help to try to diagnose the cause.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
One thing you can try is to edit the Play Movie command and instead of using this action:

Code: [Select]
XBMC.Send                   PlayFile({1})
try it with this:

Code: [Select]
XBMC.ExecBuiltin            PlayMedia({1})

carl.esbjorn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 02:35:27 AM »
Hi, thank you for you speedy reply!

I'm using the "Play moive XYZ"-command, and it's the only one I'm having issues with.
It seems it would be an issue with XBMC itself, given as it receives correct commands regarding which file to play.
http://pastebin.com/ip1LRskn
I didn't have time to run an XBMC debug for this one at this moment, however see as line 433-436 results in the playing correct file, while line 462-464 results in nothing.
Changing command from Send PlayFile to ExecBuiltin PlayMedia gives same results.

This issue applies consistently to the same files, actually a majority of my files as I have noticed.
I suppose the issue ultimately lies with XBMC itself. I'll rollback to the latest stable release of XBMC and report back when I'm off work later this evening.

Again, thank you for your sterling support!

Sincerely,
Carl

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 11:34:44 AM »
I suspect it may be an issue with the very long messy filenames and/or the rar files resulting in even longer messier filenames.  I personally don't have any movies in .rar files and all my files are renamed cleanly so that may be why I have never run into this problem.

So, I suspect maybe switching back to Eden is not going to solve your problem, but please let us know.

For now I would suggest that the best solution is to use "find movie".  You can tweak it to automatically start playing the movie, but it will depend on your library options and what skin layout you are using.  Personally I like to use Find movie and to view the fanart etc. before watching the movie anyway, and this way it also offers to resume from the last position if you watched part of the movie already.

When Frodo matures all this will be changing anyway as we move over the JSON API and our other solutions to the removal of the HTTP APIi.  Hopefully by the end of 2012 we will be able to start exploring that a bit more.  I have already started but I got discouraged by the many Frodo problems I was running into so I am waiting for them to clean things up a bit before I dive back in.  We will also need to wait a bit for the skins and other plugins to catch up a bit with the changes in Frodo.