Author Topic: New Install and VoxCommando crashes with certain TTS engines  (Read 5434 times)

macrho

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Re: New Install and VoxCommando crashes on startup
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 06:49:05 PM »
I copied and pasted the code into my tree.
With a Microsoft voice, it played without issue
I then changed it to the Kate voice and it crashed
I've attached the log but not sure it has anything

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:19 PM »
Yeah.  The other logs I looked at just ended as the TTS was being called.

Do you have any other voices you can test with?  For now I guess you are stuck with the MS voice unless we can figure something else out.  At least we know what is causing it.  That is a big step!

You may also want to edit that command and change the TTS.Speak action to TTS.SpeakSync and verify that it still works OK with the MS voice.

Let me know if you discover any other patterns.

macrho

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »
When I exit out of XBMC, the TTS will work and then VC crashes.
Is it perhaps because XBMC Frodo w/AudioEngine has exclusive rights to the device:

Step 6: Finally go to the Advanced Tab and ensure the Exclusive Mode check boxes Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device and Give exclusive mode applications priority are ticked. This is a requirement if WASAPI mode is to be used in XBMC. Once this is done you should be good to go in setting up audio on XBMC so refer back to AudioEngine

from here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Windows_Settings_for_AudioEngine

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »
When I exit out of XBMC, the TTS will work and then VC crashes.

This statement by itself makes no sense to me based on what you have shared with us previously, which was that VC would crash immediately when you used a command that had TTS actions in it.

When you are quoting something from another page please use the
quote tag
or put "quotes" around it, which will make it easier for others to understand your post.

As for the possibility of there being a confilct with XBMC I suggest to do some tests on your own since you are the only person who has access to your computer and therefor you are the only person who can determine if adjusting these settings will make a difference.

It doesn't make too much sense to me though that this would be an XBMC issue since you only have problems with one of your TTS voices and not with the Microsoft voice, but then again, computers often don't make much sense, and also I don't really know if your tests were performed the same way with both voices.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:34:34 AM by jitterjames »

macrho

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
I'm experiencing bizarre behavior with VC so I'd expect some of the actions to make no sense :)

I closed out of XBMC while I was trying to get VC to respond to "What song is this" - when the XBMC app closed, VC had then said "This is such and such song" -- I've had that happen twice

I'm also experiencing random crashes of VC - I had XBMC running and was listening to an album, was not using the Amulet remote at all and crash. In log file I saw two lines:

- focused: WerFault
- focused: dw20

Perhaps an Windows 8.0 install is in order, not sure what to do here but it is a tad frustrating

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 11:50:38 AM »
Well personally, if it were me I would go back to windows 7, but anyway, that's your choice.

I understand your frustration but I have nothing to suggest without being able to actually come to your home and do some experiments myself.

You might be onto something with your XBMC sound settings so you should try changing these settings.  Turn WASAPI off, try to set XBMC to not use exclusive access etc.  Or try to set your TTS to use a different audio output.  Obviously if XBMC is hogging the only audio output you won't be able to create sound using other programs.  This is basic logic.  In my case when this happens I get the TTS when a video stops playing because it is using DTS which hogs the audio, but it does not crash VC, and it has nothing to do with which TTS voice I use.

macrho

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 04:23:45 PM »
I bailed on Windows 8.1 and installed Window 7.0 64-bit. Installed XBMC, Amulet Devices driver, VC, configured my audio the same I had in 8.1 and this time it WORKS! I'm going to try the other voices I installed previously (Kate and David) and see how that goes.

finally!!!  :)