Author Topic: Xbox One  (Read 1255 times)

DHHJ

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Xbox One
« on: May 22, 2013, 12:42:49 PM »
With yesterday's announcement, it will be very interesting to see if Microsoft can deliver what it promises!

They claim that the new unit will be an "All-In' device with the comment that:

'“All in” translates to auto-identification as soon as Kinect sees a user; face, finger and mouth recognition; a 60 per cent wider field of view; Active IR sensors; the ability to identify six different people of all shapes and sizes (in much smaller rooms that previously possible); much improved voice control (based on an array microphone setup and much more complex algorithms); and Full HD 1080p video recording for Skype calling."

The microphone array is good but how will it react in a noisy (normal) environment?

So will it work or is it mostly marketing hype? Anybody got $600+ to play with this fall?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Xbox One
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:04:26 PM »
It begs the question, "will it suck less, or will it suck the same but faster"

I wonder if they have improved the hardware for their crappy microphone or if they just kept tweaking the software and adding more cpu power.  I'm also curious to know what the power consumption of this thing will be.  I only watched snippets of the demo but at one point I saw them use a voice command to turn it on, which means, it never really turns off.  Unless they have a special low power chip dedicated to this when the unit is turned off, which I seriously doubt.

I won't be checking it out soon, but it might make sense for anyone who actually wants to use it for the games.  In that department I guess it will probably be quite good.  I wonder what Sony is working on now.  I'm too lazy right now to google ps4...