Author Topic: New to VC - not getting things to work  (Read 1432 times)

winniwinter

• View Profile
New to VC - not getting things to work
« on: February 02, 2012, 10:16:24 AM »
Hi,

I recently found this site when updating my htpc to win 7 prof (en) and installing the latest wifi-remote plugin for MediaPortal.
I was immediately amazed by the program and so I downloaded the trial version. Currently I only have a microsoft camera with integrated mic plugged into my HTPC.
I installed the plugins for MP and added a prefix to activate VC.
First problem i encountered was that it didn't respond to my prefix command (computer).

I must say that I tested different distances between me and the mic. Nothing worked. After that I set it up to "always listen" and started mediaportal.

First I tried if VC sends the commands throug wifi-remote to MP. Therefore I used the actions manually in the plugins options. That worked.

Then I tried some simple voice commands like "left" "right" "play" "pause" "home"...most of the time it didn't work and I don't know why.

Ok I'm german so I might have a liiiittle accent but I used really simple words here.

So what did I wrong?  :-X

Is it the microphone?

Is it a wrong option? Do I have to enable things some things? (but it worked some times...)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: New to VC - not getting things to work
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 10:41:35 AM »
Hi,

I recently found this site when updating my htpc to win 7 prof (en) and installing the latest wifi-remote plugin for MediaPortal.
I was immediately amazed by the program and so I downloaded the trial version. Currently I only have a microsoft camera with integrated mic plugged into my HTPC.
I installed the plugins for MP and added a prefix to activate VC.
First problem i encountered was that it didn't respond to my prefix command (computer).

I must say that I tested different distances between me and the mic. Nothing worked. After that I set it up to "always listen" and started mediaportal.

First I tried if VC sends the commands throug wifi-remote to MP. Therefore I used the actions manually in the plugins options. That worked.

Then I tried some simple voice commands like "left" "right" "play" "pause" "home"...most of the time it didn't work and I don't know why.

Ok I'm german so I might have a liiiittle accent but I used really simple words here.

So what did I wrong?  :-X

Is it the microphone?

Is it a wrong option? Do I have to enable things some things? (but it worked some times...)

Hi winniwinter und willkommen im VC Forum. Ich gehe davon aus, das es am Mikrofon liegt,  vorausgesetzt, Du hast in den Optionen  die richtige Eingabesprache gewählt  ;)
Was zeigt VC im History-Fenster an, wenn Du einen Befehl gesprochen hast? Hast Du die confidence für das prefix zu hoch eingestellt?(findest Du alles in den Optionen) Klicke hier im Forum mal auf den Wiki button, dort findest Du die meisten Einstellungen erklärt, auch in Deutsch. Melde dich nochmal wenn Dir das alles nicht weiterhilft.

Kalle

edit by James: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=De:Main_Page
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:49:27 AM by jitterjames »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: New to VC - not getting things to work
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:29 AM »
Hi Winniwinter,

Welcome to VoxCommando.

If you are German then we need to establish a few things at the beginning.

My first question to you is... do you have the English Language packs installed on your copy of windows?  This is important because if you are going to use the english configuration for VoxCommando / MediaPortal you need to be using the english speech recognition engine, which means that you must have English language packs installed.  If you have selected the Mediaportal standard configuration when starting VoxCommando for the first time, then it should generate an error (warning actually) whenever you start VoxCommando telling you that the selected language is not available and it is switching to another (i.e. German).

Ok so assuming you do have english installed, then the first thing you should do, especially if you have an accent, is go into the windows speech control panel:

- create a new profile
- setup your microphone and levels
- Do at least one training session (in english).  Note that this may require you to switch your display language to English.  This is only temporary because VoxCommando can use any speech engine you have installed, whereas Windows only wants to use the one that matches your display language.
* Try to train in the quietest room possible, but position yourself with the microphone in the same way that you plan to use VoxCommando (for example, sitting on you couch etc.  But for training it is really important to have the quietest room possible so you don't add extra data to the learning process.

If you are able to train it, and able to do dictation with the built in speech recognition for windows then you should have no problem with voxcommando.  If you still have problems with VoxCommando then it is due to a configuration error, or you are not saying the correct commands.  Click "help" >> "Generate Help menu" on the main VC menu to see all the commands available.  We can worry about making prefix mode work later.

Here is some more information about VoxCommando and languages: http://voxcommando.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Languages