Author Topic: X10 Receiver  (Read 4948 times)

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
X10 Receiver
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:39:49 AM »
I seem to have lost my X10 receiver so I am looking to buy a new one, I notice that they don't stock the one I use to have and instead replaced it with the (CM15K). Will vox work with this new model. ?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: X10 Receiver
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
I can't say for certain, but from a little googling it looks like the CM15K is nothing like the CM15A and they have apparently chosen the name to mislead you.

from one forum: " CM15K is the combo kit of the CM19A (RF Only) and the TM751
(RF Transceiver) that they are selling in place of the CM15A, which is no longer in stock (with no ETA for getting more at this time). "

So if your only concern is sending commands from VC to your x10 stuff (not receive) then it might work.  The real question is, does VoxCommando work with a CM19A.  Maybe someone on the forum has an answer to this question.  By searching for info on the CM19A it sounds like it may not be compatible with the x10 sdk that I am using in VC.  It sounds like the CM19A also send RF only and not powerline.  So you would be sending from the CM19A to an RF transceiver (TM751).

I've read online that the firecracker (CM17A) DOES work with the SDK (but I can't promise).  Also the firecracker can be bought very cheaply, but you need to have a serial port I think.

Maybe you should wait until the HALX is released in North America.  I am testing a prototype now and it is AWESOME.  It's a bit more expensive though, and I'm not sure how long it will be before it is available.  The prototype I have works with other RF switches but not with X10 yet.  I am hoping to get another one soon that is compatible with X10.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:42:56 AM by jitterjames »

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 12:30:22 AM »
Thank you so much for the info. I think I am going to hold of on the x10 and wait for the HALX, I have been reading up on it and so far I like. I have been slowly migrating all my computers and devices down to fanless embedded systems in an attempt to lower the electrical bills. I think this will be the next step.

What AWESOME things have you been doing with the HALX?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
I haven't done anything too awesome, but the potential is great.  First off, I have x10 which is pretty unreliable because of the powerline technilogy it uses.  With the halx I can turn on and off a couple of RF lights that I bought a few years ago at the hardware store, and it works even when my laptop is plugged in!  AMAZING  :biglaugh

the HALX uses approximately 0 watts.  My power meter only shows whole watts and the HALX reads ZERO.

The HALX hosts a tiny webserver, which I can access from my LAN or from anywhere with an internet connection.  It has WOL so now I can wake my computers at home when I am away.  I spent years trying to figure out a way to do that without leaving at least one machine on in my house, but my router would not let me pass a WOL packet in from the outside.

I can use my iPod, and with a single HALX web page (home made custom html) I can trigger events in VoxCommando or EventGhost, turn on and off my lights directly, wake any computer in my house, and control my stereo and my TV (using IR blasting).  The IR blasting is pretty strong too so you don't need have the emitter directly on the device's receiver (although I do since it made sense ergonomically).

There is a serial output on it too but I haven't tested it yet.

There are a few kinks to be worked out in the North American version still but it shows great potential.

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:03:09 AM »
Well you got my ears standing up. please keep us posted when the NA version is good to go.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 09:06:55 AM »
I will let you know as soon as I have any news.

We are also working on a HALX plugin for VoxCommando to facilitate learning and storing IR and RF commands.  When HALX is available to buy, the plugin will be ready for beta testing.  We will probably be looking a way to organize, group and share commands for various devices, kind of the way we can share VC groups now.  Once one user has learned all the commands for their 2012 Samsung TV others should be able to simply download all the codes.  Of course it will be a challenge to come up with a system of keeping them organized and allow for new codes to be added etc.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
I will let you know as soon as I have any news.

We are also working on a HALX plugin for VoxCommando to facilitate learning and storing IR and RF commands.  When HALX is available to buy, the plugin will be ready for beta testing.  We will probably be looking a way to organize, group and share commands for various devices, kind of the way we can share VC groups now.  Once one user has learned all the commands for their 2012 Samsung TV others should be able to simply download all the codes.  Of course it will be a challenge to come up with a system of keeping them organized and allow for new codes to be added etc.
Hi James, I have a Java program that can import/export many IR and RF codes (also create) from/for different formats. So we can download many codes from remotecentral.com and transform to HALX-Format.
The name of this program is Tonto (freeware) but is not more availible. The good thing - I have a copy  :D
I'm not sure, but it can help.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »
thanks.  could be useful.  you should talk to Rebel about it.  He probably already knows about it, but if he doesn't then he should.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
thanks.  could be useful.  you should talk to Rebel about it.  He probably already knows about it, but if he doesn't then he should.
here a screenshoot

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:52:30 AM »
is this free software?  If it is can you post a link for us to download it somehow?  Or put it in my dropbox?

thanks again Kalle  :D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 10:06:58 AM »
is this free software?  If it is can you post a link for us to download it somehow?  Or put it in my dropbox?

thanks again Kalle  :D
it is absolute freeware, take a look in our dropbox Tonto-folder  ;) the last one for Windows
I have this program never found in the web, only one for MacOs  ::wiggle

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
if anyone wants to have a look here is a link to Tonto version 1.44

http://db.tt/paqoYskP

edit by Kalle:

PS: to install it in Vista/Windows7 use the compatibility mode for WinXp -Sp3 with a right click on the .exe ->properties->compatibility
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:35:09 AM by Kalle »