Author Topic: What happened to lifetime license?  (Read 1602 times)

Telorast

• $upporter
    • View Profile
What happened to lifetime license?
« on: November 12, 2012, 07:21:06 PM »
I been testing the program for a few weeks now and I'm considering buying a license but I'm a bit confused. When I first checked the prices I could choose from normal and lifetime license but now there is only one option. But there is no information on what you get with that. Searched through the forum and found a couple mentions of there being a year long license at 25$ but the current price is 30$. Is it the same thing? And what happened to the lifetime option. I looked through the release notes and found nothing in there about removing it.

The only info on the buy now page is "Once you have decided to buy, you can choose a license type and pay via PayPal by using the form to the right". But inside paypal there are no choices and no license type.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: What happened to lifetime license?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
Sorry about the lack of information, and about the leftover text saying "choose a license type", I'll have to fix that.  Part of the reason is that I decided to make this change just before I went away for a week, and I just got back.  But thanks for mentioning it because I kind of forgot about it.  :-[

Yes there is only one option now which is $30 (Canadian).  This license is of course good "forever" in that it will not ever stop working but any new version updates that are released will be free for 6 months from the date of purchase.  Actually the reason that I decided to remove the lifetime license option is that there has been less development taking place lately.  The program is more mature but also I don't wish to spend quite as much time on it as I have in the past, so I felt that it was wrong to give the option of a lifetime license in case I did not really develop it significantly.  

That said, I do still intend to keep supporting and developing the program, and the use and development of VoxCommando will no doubt continue to be my number one hobby for a long time to come.

If you still want to buy a lifetime license I am happy to sell one to you, or anyone else that asks before the end of 2012, for the original price of $35.00 (Canadian)

Again, sorry about the confusion this has created for you and any other people that happened to be considering making a purchase just before I made the pricing change.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:04:19 PM by jitterjames »

Mark Norville

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 01:43:00 PM »
Hi James,

Firstly I would like to say what a great program this is. I found it last night and have been having some frustrating fun with it.

I personally was going to ask regarding a lifetime license myself, as six months is usually nothing in the developing World. The next update could be in 8 months, so apart from buying the program then six months updates is not really a great deal.

It would be great to see maybe two versions 1) A full one year updates and 2) A lifetime subscription.

Of course the lifetime would be slightly more expensive but at least that sounds a lot better than six months, and at least one year sounds better than six months.

I can appreciate that you do not want to spend the rest of your life tied to a computer and developing the same piece of software but

"What you have created here is the future"

I personally and like many others cannot afford to keep paying say $30 if an update falls after the six month updates.

Regards

Mark

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your input, but for the time being nothing will change in this regard.

Please keep in mind that we are talking about a minimum of six months of updates.  In practice you will be able to get updates for longer than 6 months because it is a pain for me to enforce. I may decide to change this, officially to a year of free updates.

After 6 months you can continue using the program.  You are not forced to update in order to keep using it.