Author Topic: shoutbox in forums?  (Read 1338 times)

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
shoutbox in forums?
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »
hey was wondering why no shoutbox for people to easily communicate with each other?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: shoutbox in forums?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »
I don't know if there is really a demand for such a thing but I would be willing to consider it if enough people are interested.  There are probably different interpretations of a "shoutbox" as well, so if you want to provide a link to an example of what you had in mind, it couldn't hurt.

I had also considered trying to set up a weekly informal meeting, possibly on skype or some other system, where people could chat and ask questions, and possibly work together using teamviewer etc.  Again, I would need to know if there is any interest in this before spending the time to figure out the best solution, and then an appropriate meeting time would need to be decided on.

Whatever the case, I don't want to be tied to a live chat situation 24/7 because I find it just takes up too much time.  For example, I usually only turn skype on when I have a meeting set up already.

IKROWNI

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 10:25:55 PM »
well you could check out simpleportal it has a shoutbox built in which is just a simple chatbox that you can place anywhere you want on the smf site. it can be on front page or in the forums if you wanted. i use to use smf as well for one of my sites. i would recomend simpleportal.net and smfhacks.com for some nice site addons

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 11:12:41 PM »
I don't know if there is really a demand for such a thing but I would be willing to consider it if enough people are interested.  There are probably different interpretations of a "shoutbox" as well, so if you want to provide a link to an example of what you had in mind, it couldn't hurt.

I had also considered trying to set up a weekly informal meeting, possibly on skype or some other system, where people could chat and ask questions, and possibly work together using teamviewer etc.  Again, I would need to know if there is any interest in this before spending the time to figure out the best solution, and then an appropriate meeting time would need to be decided on.

Whatever the case, I don't want to be tied to a live chat situation 24/7 because I find it just takes up too much time.  For example, I usually only turn skype on when I have a meeting set up already.
The weekly meeting is a very good idea - let us find a start time for north america and europe  :bignod
***********  get excited and make things  **********