Author Topic: Vox Commando wishlist  (Read 3949 times)

lja

• View Profile

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Vox Commando wishlist
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Ok. I will definitely have to give MB3 another look.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
Ok. I will definitely have to give MB3 another look.

Great. Thanks.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:41:45 PM »
I am excited to see the discussion on the MB3 forum about a plugin. I am a longtime user of MB Classic. I do not use MB Plus. Since discovering Vox Commando, I have been playing with XBMC and would love to see similar capability in MB3 if the plugin for VC is developed. Thanks @jitterjames for least looking into it.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
Any progress?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:54:09 AM »
Yes and no.

I've invested well over 100 hours of my time working on it, and therefore I do want to release something eventually so that this time and effort is not a complete waste.

However, I've run into numerous roadblocks that have prevented me from releasing a reliable plugin (i.e., one that isn't going to create a support nightmare or a negative impression for new users).

Some of the challenges include the fact that different clients work with their API in different ways or only support certain functions.  Some aspects of the MB3 API as well as the clients themselves still need work.  There are bugs in the API's websockets that cause major problems when running the MB3 server on Windows 7.  The API has also gone through several changes since I started, which required me to rewrite my plugin in order to get it to work.  A more mature API that is not undergoing big changes to the way we connect to it would go a long way towards an efficient development path.

These are some of the reasons for the delay, and of course, there is the fact that I am also continuing to work on other VC projects that are important to me and other users, and -- last but certainly not the least -- there's my day job, which is required to pay the bills.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 12:31:33 PM »
@jitterjames

Thanks for the update. I do appreciate the time and effort you have already put in and will look forward to sometime in the future when the challenges are removed amd MB3 has settled.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 06:12:57 PM »
Your long wait is almost over...

A pre-release demo of our new plugin for MediaBrowser which will be available in all versions of VoxCommando starting with version 2.1.3.7

Attached is a pdf summary of what works (mostly) on what clients for MB3. AFAIK the limitations shown are based on what the MB3 server and specific clients can do, rather than any problems with VC or the new plugin.

The next version of VC that we release will include the plugin and the English configuration for MediaBrowser.  At that time we will also create a short installation video and Wiki guide.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »
Fantastic. Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:08:40 PM »
Let's do this.

Version 2.1.3.8 with a new Media Browser plugin is here!

https://plus.google.com/111676462313545255894/posts/1Sz4j99HuBb

If you are already using VoxCommando with another configuration, I recommend you start with a clean install in a new folder and install the default MB3 configuration.  After that you can consider combining old commands with new ones.  There is already a video tutorial covering this topic.

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 06:07:52 PM »
@ jitterjames

Thanks. sorry, could not locate my info re my pledge. However, I have forwarded a little more than I remember pledging. If it is not, please let me know and I will act accordingly.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:43:44 PM »
What?  I thought you pledged $50.00!

Just kidding.  :biglaugh

Thanks for your support and also for getting the ball rolling by posting over on the MB forums.

I hope the end result will be worth the wait!

lja

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »
What?  I thought you pledged $50.00!

Just kidding.  :biglaugh

Thanks for your support and also for getting the ball rolling by posting over on the MB forums.

I hope the end result will be worth the wait!

You are welcome. Downloaded and on my way to trying it out.