Author Topic: Crashes with Pocket audio  (Read 3026 times)

Jay

• View Profile
Crashes with Pocket audio
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
Hi

Great app that as soon as I saw I had to try and get working! I set up version 0_851 as per your xbmc for dummies guide.

I am using as a mic my iPhone 4 with pocket audio running - noticed this was a tried and tested method in another thread.

If I have vox and pocket control running on my pc and pocket audio on my iPhone vox will just crash when I speak into the mic. I get an error message saying voxCommando has stopped working. Sometimes it lets me speak a few words and these are registered by voxCommando before it crashes again.

Any ideas?

Cheers

James

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Crashes with Pocket audio
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
I'm sorry to say, I have seen this behaviour too with the pocket audio app on my laptop, and I have no idea what the solution is.  As I recall there wasn't any useful error data generated to give me a clue what was happening.  If I get a chance I will try it out on my development machine at some point but don't hold your breath.  I recommend you try some other mic first to see if you like Vox.

It is a very weird thing, I've never seen this happen with any other audio input, so I have no idea what pocket audio could be doing...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
I just tried pocket audio with my htpc, and it works perfectly.  I triggered many voice commands and had no problems with crashing or otherwise.  I am using version 0.867 of VC but it shouldn't make a difference afaik.

I tried setting the audio quality on the pocket app on the ipod to low, medium, and high quality, in turn.  On low it did not recognize my commands, but it did not crash.  It worked ok on medium, but better on high quality... (huh- no kidding)

I will try later on my laptop to see if I can figure out what is going on, but last time it happened I had no idea and just figured it was my laptop's fault...  The only obvious difference between the two machines is that the laptop is running win7 32 bit, and my htpc is running win7 64 bit.

One thing I can say, though is that although the accuracy was pretty good, the delay is pretty annoying, especially for commands like scroll !  After you issue a commmand you have to wait a second or two to find out if anything is going to happen.  Yucko.  Oddly enough, there didn't seem to be noticeably less delay on medium quality than on high quality.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 04:07:29 PM »
This is a problem with pocket audio or Windows.  I just did a test on my laptop with Windows built in speech recognition.  If I use pocket audio as the mic it crashes Windows Speech Recognition.

It has nothing to do with VoxCommando.  You might want to bring it up with Senstic support.  They won't be interested if you tell them it crashes VoxCommando but if you tell them that it crashes WSR they might look into it.

It is possible that it works on 64 bit systems and not 32 bit.  Try it on another computer if you can, because it works fine on my 64 bit win7 machine.