Author Topic: Google Home / assistant and Voxcommando!  (Read 2302 times)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Google Home / assistant and Voxcommando!
« on: February 20, 2019, 01:46:58 PM »
UPDATE: This no longer works, Google disabled most 3rd party integration, and Ifttt can no longer use variables with googel assistant

Warning: To make this work, you need to enable port forwarding on your router. Depending on your security setting this could be a safety risk! At least everyone who knows your IP/Ddns and port will have access to VC! 

In this video I demo using Google home / google assistant with Voxcommando, and show how to setup Ifttt.

you will need:
Google Home device / google assistant
Voxcommando
Ifttt.com account
Ddns service.

Ddns and Port forwarding:
setup your Ddns before creating your Ifttt applet, and make sure that you set it to update on a regular interval, I have mine set to every 5 minutes, and have been using this method for over a year with no issues.

after you have your Ddns setup your next step will be to port forward your TCP Simple web server. There are to many different routers for me to cover an accurate how to, google is your friend for this, search "how to port forward router name and model number" and you should be able to find the instructions for your router

Ifttt setup:
Illegal character for Ifttt applet:
Code: [Select]
̢

Webhooks example:
Code: [Select]
http://YOUR.DDNS.ADDRESS:1234/api/android.phrases&&{{TextField}}*the port number used in webhooks is your external port number used when port forwarding your TCP simple webserver

If you have any commands that aren't working for you, then you need to check the phrases that are being transcribed by google assistant and make the changes to your VC phrases, I have one that I use in the morning "I'm Awake" and after it is transcribed then passes through Ifttt it would be "I ' m Awake" so I just added "I ' m" to my phrases as a choice and the problem was solved.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 03:21:01 PM by PegLegTV »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Google Home / assistant and Voxcommando!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2019, 01:01:17 PM »
Awesome Pegleg.  Many thanks for making this.  I was intending to do it for over a year now and never got around to it!  :biglaugh

Just a couple quick notes.

Port forwarding should be very easy to set up, assuming your router allows UPNP (which I think most do) you can just tick a box in the TCP plugin settings in VoxCommando to set up port forwarding automatically.

The attached image shows the settings you will need, assuming you want to use port 9000.

Although IFTTT stupidly calls it "Web Hooks" there is no web hook involved.  I'm just mentioning this for clarity so people don't get confused later on.  What is being used here is a web server and IFTTT is sending an HTTP get request, similar to entering an URL in your browser.  A webhook is a different thing.  So in VoxCommando plugin settings what you need to turn on is the "Simple Web Server".

Also, although most people don't have this option but if you have a static IP address on your WAN then you don't need to use a DDNS service.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
No problem at all, we use google minis with VC all the time now the wife and kids love the simplicity of it,

I didn't think to mention
Port forwarding should be very easy to set up, assuming your router allows UPNP (which I think most do) you can just tick a box in the TCP plugin settings in VoxCommando to set up port forwarding automatically.
just out of habit I always port forward manually, so thanks for pointing that out  :)

vulcanjedi

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 01:36:38 AM »
Thanks PegLeg this is cool. Works pretty well.
Too bad Alexa doesnt support this approach.