Author Topic: win 8.1 wont open the .py files anymore  (Read 2619 times)

outlaw

• View Profile
win 8.1 wont open the .py files anymore
« on: July 26, 2015, 06:32:36 PM »
hi newbie here, but I messed up and append a .py file from vc and I did it using notepad by mistake and I can not get the file to reopen using the default program, can someone please tell me how to change the file back to the default program that use to open it? im running windows 8.1 thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando

outlaw

• View Profile
Re: win 8.1 wont open the .py files anymore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 06:56:00 PM »
thanks james for the link, however I have tryed everything that was listed on the Microsofts site, and vc is still trying to open any .py file using notepad,and now most of my commands are not working. do you know by chance what default program win 8.1 uses to open a .py file? I looked on my other computer and it has listed under (open using) unknown program.i may have to reinstall windows in order to take care of this issue,but that's my last option

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
You lost me.

Windows doesn't open py files by default in any program unless you installed python for some reason.  VoxCommando does not "open" py files in another program unless you use a Launch action but I can't think why you would do that.

Maybe you can explain in some detail what you are actually trying to do.

outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:32 PM »
sorry for making ya lost james, i downloaded a xml file  off of the vc xml exchange called (WHO IS HOME) it gives you a command that ounce activated it tells you who and what all devices are connected to the internet, however you have to go and change the names and ip address's in the .py file, and by mistake i opened it using (NOTEPAD) and now none of my commands that use the .py file works. hope this better explains it......btw i have not installed python at any time.....

outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:48:45 PM »
sorry to ask another? but if windows doesn't open any .py files when using vc than is there away to get vc to be the one that opens it? or what runs the .py files when using vc and issueing a command that uses the .py file?

outlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 08:11:27 PM »
 :bonk never mind james i figured it out, i wont say what i did cause itll make me look like an idiot ha but thanks for your replys i didn't mean to waste your time :) thanks again