Author Topic: Problems downloading VC Setup 1.922.exe  (Read 4470 times)

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
Problems downloading VC Setup 1.922.exe
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:00:17 PM »
This has never happened before with a vc download.
Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Problems downloading VC Setup 1.922.exe
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:10:04 PM »
There is AVAST difference between an antivirus program that sucks and one that does not suck.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
There is AVAST difference between an antivirus program that sucks and one that does not suck.

:biglaugh , which one would you recommend ?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 06:21:09 PM »
I happen to like NOD32, but my point is there will always be one over-achiever that has decided that it doesn't like something, for some mysterious heuristic reason. There is certainly nothing wrong with the file, which I uploaded myself to my private ftp server.  I appreciate the heads-up, but there is nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to let it bother me!  I have dealt with AVAST before and I did not like it, though I don't remember the specifics.

I will be uploading another update shortly, so maybe we will see if it has the same result.

I recently used dropbox instead of my ftp server, and when I tried to download it using Chrome I got a big red flashing warning saying "This is a suspicious file because not many people has downloaded it" (I paraphrase).  Yeah, no kidding.  I just uploaded it 5 minutes ago, so not many people have downloaded it, so therefore it is a virus.  Retardulous!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 06:24:04 PM »
Just in case it makes anyone feel any better I uploaded the file to Virus Total and generated the following report:

https://www.virustotal.com/ca/file/1b271fae43af259d683136f807ea8fd21a9f0a95c948570f0df9fad00ae53ae4/analysis/

Feel free to do the same from your end and confirm that you see the same results.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 06:29:38 PM »
and by the way, the program includes the hook plugin dll which could possibly be why it is detecting a keylogger.  That is exactly what the hook plugin does, except it is done for your benefit, not in order to send me your credit card info...  :biglaugh

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 06:32:32 PM »
I happen to like NOD32, but my point is there will always be one over-achiever that has decided that it doesn't like something, for some mysterious heuristic reason. There is certainly nothing wrong with the file, which I uploaded myself to my private ftp server.  I appreciate the heads-up, but there is nothing I can do about it, so I'm not going to let it bother me!  I have dealt with AVAST before and I did not like it, though I don't remember the specifics.

I will be uploading another update shortly, so maybe we will see if it has the same result.

I recently used dropbox instead of my ftp server, and when I tried to download it using Chrome I got a big red flashing warning saying "This is a suspicious file because not many people has downloaded it" (I paraphrase).  Yeah, no kidding.  I just uploaded it 5 minutes ago, so not many people have downloaded it, so therefore it is a virus.  Retardulous!

I agree with you James, I am 100% certain that avast is "seeing" it incorrectly. It's happened to me  on a few occasions when I am building a program, avast sees it as a threat and deletes it.
Not to worry.

I'll wait for the update, thanks.  

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 05:27:04 PM »
just tried downloading vc 1.931 result was the same, avast is seeing it as a threat, so i disabled avast for 10 minutes, downloaded the setup file, installed vc 1.931, scanned it with Avast and NO THREAT FOUND.

like you said James "there is Avast difference" here.
Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 09:27:53 PM »
I think it might be because the voxcommando.com url was somehow flagged (the whole site) by bitdefender (and only by bitdefender).  I have submitted a request that they review the site and hopefully they will revoke the bogus status.  If not, what can I do? It is their problem not mine.  I have seen others with the same problem where only bitdefender is throwing a false positive for some unknown reason.  I have been assured by bitdefender that our site will be reviewed within 72 hours.  We shall see.

As a test, you could try to upload a small .exe of your own to the forum.  I am sure that it will throw the same warning if you try to download it with AVAST enabled.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
I scanned the setup exe and here is the result from avast. Looks like it only appears to be a threat when downloading ONLY.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 11:35:06 AM »
After much whining to bitdefender they finally rescanned and un-flagged our site (for now):

https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/f8f0992ad9ca47672c9fae4fa716a04be807693cbc477caf1611f5ea40d0b382/analysis/1402410859/