Author Topic: Help connecting VoxCommando to my VeraEdge.  (Read 2792 times)

r0okey

• View Profile
Help connecting VoxCommando to my VeraEdge.
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:10:07 PM »
I'm trying VoxCommando for the first time and if all works well I would like to implement the software in my home for use with my current VERA home automation system.

I need help getting this to work and I have taken the following steps:

I installed VoxCommando and selected vera plugin configuration during the installation during setup I verified that I have 4.5.2 .Net also I verified that my  firewall is disabled on both the VERA and the computer with VOXCommando installed.  I followed all the setup instructions on the wiki page. It doesn't appear that I'm successfully connecting to my vera, I don't have a successful test connection producing the following error message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on receive. Also when I try and generate payload files by clicking on create maps  it generates an error " Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click quit, the application will close immediately and Error reading JObject from jsonReader. Path ", line 0. position 0. Clicking on Continue nothing happens. clicking on GENXML on the main menu appears to do nothing. I am on Trial mode until I can figure out what the problem connecting to the vera.

Hardware:
Vox commando 2.2.1.4
VeraEdge running the latest firmware version UI7 1.7.1598 (Note: I am entering the unit ip address and port manually 192.168.1.4:3480 as indicated in the setup instructions. The computer hosting VOX Commando is windows 7.

Thank you for the help upfront!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Help connecting VoxCommando to my VeraEdge.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
Hi r0okey

Welcome to the forum.  Thanks for a thorough post that includes plenty of the info we need to troubleshoot.  It certainly sounds like you are doing everything correctly and that you should be able to connect to your Vera unit.

What happens when you use a web browser (running on the same machine that you have VC running on) and browse to the following URL address:

http://192.168.1.4:3480/data_request?id=user_data&output_format=xml

and what's the IP of your machine running VC?

I have to admit I am stumped by this one.  I think there are quite a few people using the Vera plugin and none have reported having any connection issues.  I have a Vera Edge at home and it's working fine with VC 2.2.1.4.  My Vera is running 1.7.1569 but I am always extremely reluctant to upgrade my Vera Edge firmware after having many terrible experiences trying to do that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:40:36 PM by jitterjames »

r0okey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »
Thanks JitterJames for the warm welcome. When I click on the link you provided it did not load up the page and produced the following error message "This page cant be displayed" I have actually tried to use Vera commands like the one you indicated to troubleshoot other issues with my vera and have never had any luck with those types of web commands although I have used 192.168.1.4/devlist.txt successfully in the past . Is the latest version blocking web url access? I have tried to also installed VoxCommando on a virtual windows machine as a test and I'm getting the same results. leads me to believe Vera is not allowing communication from VoxCommando. I have my vera setup with a static IP address and the machine with VC installed is currently set to DHCP with an IP address of 192.168.1.250 both the vera and the VC machine are pointing to my correct gateway IP:192.168.1.1.

I have also ensured that the "Secure Vera" option is unchecked for the time being in my vera settings to allow internal network traffic in without first authenticating to the vera servers.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 09:44:15 PM »
If that URL doesn't load for you in a browser then I'm pretty sure there is some kind of problem with your Vera Edge (or your network).  There is no local security on any Vera unit that I know of that would block that URL from devices on your LAN so if it won't load I think it must be a malfunction.

Have you tried to control your Vera using an app on either iOs or Android?  If you can test with the official Vera app that would probably be a good start.  I think they probably connect using that same method although with UI7 I'm not 100% sure.

You should probably open a ticket with them about this but if the offical app won't connect then it will make it easier to explain and to help them understand what the problem is than if you tell them you can't connect with VoxCommando, which they've probably never heard of.  My experience with MCV phone support has usually been pretty good for most things and if there is something wrong on your Edge they can probably fix it.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
On your Vera the "DHCP server" should be turned off.

r0okey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 02:14:26 PM »
Guys,

I wanted to report that I have made some progress on this problem connecting to the Vera and I think it may benefit others if I report my findings that may experience a similar issue connecting.

For whatever reason port 3480 is not the correct port in my situation port 49451 works for me. I'm not exactly sure if VERA changed the communications ports in newer firmware versions or if I may have changed the port in my settings at some point (Not sure if it’s even possible). I'm leaning more towards changes on the Vera firmware.

I hope this will help anyone who may have an issue connecting in the future.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
Thanks for the report.

I tried to use 49451 instead of 3480 and it also works just fine for me.  So I think you are supposed to be able to use either, but for some reason something is interfering with 3480 on your unit.

Glad you got it working!