Author Topic: Sharing 'workload' between vera and vc  (Read 1881 times)

Casmo

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
Sharing 'workload' between vera and vc
« on: November 13, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
Just a general query..

With the vera now up and running, it occurred to me that there's various ways of splitting the workload between vc and vera. For example, my current 'coming home' scene:
- motion sensor tripped
- vc sees motion sensor event, turns on tv, turns on hue lights, issues tts greeting, plays random music

With the vera in place, this could of course be:
- motion sensor tripped
- vera scene turns on tv, lights (vera hue app)
- vc sees vera scene event, issues greeting, plays random music

The advantage of the 2nd obviously being that the pc does not need to be running for most of the scene to be launched. Going this way would also give me remote control of the usbuirt.

I'm sure there's no right or wrong way but i'm curious as to peoples approach and reasons for doing so...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Sharing 'workload' between vera and vc
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »
I agree and I tend to use the Vera only method whenever it is convenient.  Sometimes I either need some better control, (I find VC easier to use probably because I know it so well) or because I need to do stuff that Vera just can't do.

My HTPC is not always on so for basic lighting I have a few buttons on a ZWave remote which do things like "all lights off" or set my living room lights to the default pleasant scene.  I also have one button that is my "listen to music" button.  When I press this the Vera will turn on my Amp and Wake my HTPC.  It will then wait a little bit for things to warm up and then send a TellVox message to run the "listen to music" command.  This command does everything else (quite a few things), and if my HTPC is on I can just use a voice command to do the same thing.  The VC "listen to music" command will also turn the amp on.  My amp (Onkyo) needs to spend some time booting before I can send it network commands so the sooner I can get it turned on the better.