Author Topic: VoxWav Pro Host discovery  (Read 4226 times)

gizak

• $upporter
    • View Profile
VoxWav Pro Host discovery
« on: April 21, 2013, 02:12:33 PM »
I have 2 machines running VoxCommando and I'm running into an issue where VoxWav Pro is discovering one of my machine's virtual NIC IP Addresses (25.32.41.171) instead of the real Physical IP Address (192.168.0.56) when Sending the Hello Message.

I went ahead and disabled all virtual nics (created by the VMs I run on the same server), and restarted both VoxWav Pro and VoxCommando, but it still shows up, so I'm having to go into VoxWav settings to use it again.  I figure it might be saved in the hosts file somehow, so I tried clicking Edit Hosts on VoxWav Pro, but the following error pops upr:

Error
Error occurred when getting file content: hosts.txt

This occurs on at least 2 of my android devices - I'll do some more digging when time permits (I have 4 different android devices to mess around with, 3 are rooted).

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: VoxWav Pro Host discovery
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
I will have to look into this.  Thanks.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 05:00:37 PM »
The hosts.txt file is intended to be edited by hand.  Normally you can edit it directly on the Android but I guess it varies from one device to another.

Create a text file that looks like the following:

Code: [Select]
HTPC=192.168.0.101::A1-B1-C1-D1-E1-F1
OfficePC=192.168.0.103::88-99-A5-80-A0-2F
Computer 3=192.168.0.107::A0-B0-C0-D0-E0-F0

and save it to your internal storage on the android to the path: 
jittersoft\hosts.txt

from my computers point of view the path is: 
Computer\Acer Iconia Tab A510\Internal storage\jittersoft\hosts.txt
on my android using ES file explorer the path is:
sdcard/jittersoft/hosts.txt
but it is NOT on my actual SD card.

The reason the MAC address is in there is so that VoxWav will perform a Wake on Lan when you select that "host".  If you don't want to use the WOL you can use a line like this:
HTPC=192.168.0.101::

gizak

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 08:06:59 PM »
Very informative, networking stuff is my job...so my home network is a little convoluted, but all my devices are on the same subnet.  Since most my PCs are static'd I have no problem modifying the host file, but it would be nice if the Hello message worked properly for the less savvy users. (maybe rename it to "Discover Vox Servers" ?)

Also, the server that does report the proper IP address doesn't like showing up the first time I send the Hello message, but works after the second time...  not sure if it's a timeout thing, but it wouldn't surprise me cause my network is a bit congested.

In any case, I assume that directory/file shoud? be created, but it's not.  I checked my devices and could not find that file, let alone that directory.  I used ES file explorer, and ran a search on all 3 devices from root directory (/) and included all subfolders for "jittersoft".  The following directories popped up:

/data/user/0/com.jittersoft.voxwav/
/data/user/0/com.jittersoft.voxwav.free/shared_prefs/
/data/user/0/com.jittersoft.voxwav.free/shared_prefs/lib/
/data/user/0/com.jittersoft.voxwav.free/shared_prefs/databases
/data/user/0/com.jittersoft.voxwav.free/
etc...

Basically, all were in /data/user/0/com.jittersoft   or    /data/data/com.jittersoft.

So I did what you said and navigated to sdcard/, created a jittersoft folder and created a blank hosts.txt file inside it.  I then re-opened VoxWav Pro and clicked edits hosts and it opened up a blank file successfully.  I added my servers in manually.  Initially they don't show up, but after a full exit of VoxWav Pro, and re-opening, the servers showed up in my list when I click the Host/Computer icon. *yay*

I do still have that wrong virtual NIC showing up if I send Hello message, but the ones entered in the hosts.txt still are direct options that I don't have to discover anymore, so I'm happy =)

Let me know if you want any logs or for me to test anything further with Android stuff or Networking.  I have the following devices:
Nexus One (rooted) running CyanogenMod rom on 2.3.7 Gingerbread
HTC Evo/Flyer (not-rooted) stock on 3.2.1 Honeycomb
Galaxy S2 (rooted) running AOKP ROM on 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
Transformer Infinity TF700T (rooted) running CleanROM on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

...and hopefully a GS4, unless Google I/O reveals something better in the pipeline lol...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 10:33:52 PM »
I will include an adjustment in the next release of VoxCommando that may help with the virtual nic problem.  I don't have any way of testing it, so I'm not sure if it will work or not.

The reason that the hello message does not always work the first time, is that I am using UDP in both directions.  After VoxWav sends the "hello" message out into the void, it waits for a short time for any responses.  I guess the waiting time should be increased a little before the choices are displayed.

Thanks for your offer to help diagnose.  If i think of anything or need you to test something I'll get in touch with you about it. :)

I think that some versions of Android may be preventing VoxWav from creating that folder for some security/permission reason.  I'm not very well versed in Android development, having basically learned it in order to create VoxWav.  It was a real labour of love, and hate.

gizak

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:27 AM »
but it is NOT on my actual SD card.

Lol, i hear ya... and I'm not even a developer.  That quote alone is something that annoys me, but I'm grateful you got it working for the most part....I'm an android nut =)

gizak

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:40:12 PM »
Just an update for anybody having Hello Messages not return your Vox Commando Servers... 

Double check your UDP settings! 

In VoxWav:
Menu key > Settings > UDP send port (default is 33000)

In VoxCommando:
Options > Open Options > Advanced tab > UDB broadcasts Listen port (default is 33000)

If you are still having issues, you can manually create a hosts file as James mentioned above, you may need to create the jittersoft folder as well.
(you can use a free file explorer for android such as ES File Explorer to accomplish this)

Directory to create folder and hosts file:
sdcard/jittersoft/hosts.txt
The hosts file uses the following syntax:
HOSTNAME=IP ADDRESS:PORT:MAC ADDRESS
*Port should be your UDP port, and is optional (else it uses the one assigned in global settings)
*MAC Address is optional for Wake On Lan

Example1: 
OfficePC=192.168.0.103:33000:88-99-A5-80-A0-2F
Example2: 
OfficePC=192.168.0.103
Hope this is helpful for anybody else who over tinkers in the settings.   :P

mparks

• $upporter
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 03:27:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I ran into the same issue a few days ago and forgot about it. I could not locate the host file, was about to make a post when I saw this today. I did as instructed and it's working fine.

Galaxy Note 2.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:54:17 AM »
Thanks Gizak.

I have added a page to the VoxWav wiki based on your post.

http://voxwav.wikispaces.com/Setup+notes+from+Gizak

gizak

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 05:41:10 PM »
cool!  and your welcome...  I appreciate all the help you (and kalle) have provided, so I want to do the same for others.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »
Looks like I made a mistake.  the port specified in the host.txt file is for the TCP port to send wav data to the TcpMic plugin, not the UDP port!

Sorry.  I hope it did not cause too much confusion for anyone.

Actually, I don't think there is much point in changing the tcp port.  So maybe I will change the next version of VoxWav pro, so that this actually changes the UDP port as described above.