Author Topic: Call song by title and artist  (Read 5682 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Call song by title and artist
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 03:44:42 AM »
well i guess i have no idea what i'm talking about :bonk....all i know is that its taking massive mins, not secs to rebuild.....

oh well just have to deal with it
rablack97 question: Your 22.000 songs are on a external USB drive or NAS-Drive? Then it would me not surprise that it takes as long as.
Create a folder and put 100 or 500 songs init (harddrive on your PC), and try again. So you can see where the problem is, if you have a 1 or 2TB-harddrive and it is fragmented then it would not surprise me.

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2012, 07:48:50 AM »
the time Vox spends on this is all just in analysing the payload xml files and creating all the possible sub-phrases and then binding them to the data needed to trigger the command with the correct payload.  It does not matter where the songs are or if the disk is fragmented.  Actually, as long as the xml file can be read by VC, the audio files don't even need to exist.

22 thousand songs is beginning to push the practical limits, and you are using two commands that each create giant commands from all these songs.  The play song X by artist Y is particularly taxing because we can end up with some extremely long phrases and then hundreds of possible sub-phrases for each song.

My advice to you is to get rid of the "play song by artist" command completely.  For my own purposes I rarely ask for a song by name to begin with.  I mostly ask for playlists, artists, or albums, or genres.  If you ask for a song and it plays the wrong artist, you can always just advance to the next song and then the next until you get the right one.

That said, there are other ways to optimize.  First of all, if you want you can get rid of the subphrases completely, but then you will need to ask for the song by asking for the whole name of the song, which can often be difficult to remember.

Or if you want to keep subphrases you can go into advanced settings (VC options) and increase the minimum sub phrase length from 4 to something like 10.  This is the minimum length of a subphrases in characters so if you set it to 5 you won't be able to ask for a song by just saying "love" (4 characters) unless that is the complete name of the song.

You can also reduce the maximum subphrase length.

You should probably also make sure that you songs are cleanly tagged.  Most people, especially the ones with 22 thousand songs, actually have very messy libraries with poor tagging and  sometimes very long song and artist tags.  the longer the tag, the more strain it puts on VC.

And finally, if you can somehow filter out all the extra stuff that you know you are never going to ask for by name (classical music perhaps) this can also help.  There are tools to do this with XBMC and MediaMonkey but not JRiver.

Another option is to use dictation payloads instead of payloadXML.  This will load almost instantly, but since it isn't aware of your library it will not be able to match intelligently to what you've got.

rablack97

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »
Yeah it's more like 63,000 songs.

It finally finished and is working ok....

I'm going to take what you recommended and do some clean-up of the tags and get rid of a few commands as suggested.

Also, once XBMC updates the library doesn't vox just acess a source within xbmc to create the xml's it doesnt source back the the location of the files does it?

Regardless, the files are on a server, but I would think that's why James states to have XBMC running when doing a GENXML as this is where vox gets the data.

I'll updated once i get it all cleaned up and do some testing with the subphrases and the tag cleanup

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »
No wonder.  I would say that is too many songs really, especially for the "play song by artist" commands.

I'm confused.  Are you using JRiver or XBMC?  If you are trying to load all your songs for both then it is going to make it even worse.

I would be curious to know what kind of memory consumption you've got going on.

rablack97

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
XBMC for now as it's interface is easier to use than Jriver.

I deleted my jriv library and pushed everything over to xbmc.  My full library in jriv looked a mess.

When i was testing I only imported 50 songs into Jriv.  So this wasnt an issue.

I can tell you that when it was comipling the library under processes, vox fluctuated between 80k-100K for memory usage.