Author Topic: Multiple profiles and passwords  (Read 2637 times)

Rowedog21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Multiple profiles and passwords
« on: November 21, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
Hello,

First I want to say that this is an great program.

I have two questions due to the fact that I am still learning about this:

1.  How can you configure VC that when you launch XBMC how can you have you ask what profile I would like to use and have it use that profile with the preset password?

2.  I was wondering if there was a way to have VC once it is launch do something like this:

VC says "Hello would you like to watch a movie or listen to music" and then have it run the command based on my answer.....basically have it give me choices and then act upon those choices.

I am VERY new to this kind of program so if you could break it down to me, the simpler the better.

Thank you so much

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple profiles and passwords
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 02:40:15 PM »
Hello,

First I want to say that this is an great program.

I have two questions due to the fact that I am still learning about this:

1.  How can you configure VC that when you launch XBMC how can you have you ask what profile I would like to use and have it use that profile with the preset password?

2.  I was wondering if there was a way to have VC once it is launch do something like this:

VC says "Hello would you like to watch a movie or listen to music" and then have it run the command based on my answer.....basically have it give me choices and then act upon those choices.

I am VERY new to this kind of program so if you could break it down to me, the simpler the better.

Thank you so much
Hi Rowedog21 and welcome to VC-Forum.
I will show how you can do this, it is easy.
In the first attach you can see an example.
the second attach is a xml-file for download. open the vc-editor, and click on top right to "open a new bin file" and select the downloaded xml-file. You can drag and drop it to the left editor-tree and edit for your self.
This command start XBMC, enable all groups with letters XBMC at the beginning, and disable all other groups.
The last attach pic, show you what the command do. (green is enable, red is disable)
When you need help, ask me  ;)

Kalle
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:03:20 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

Rowedog21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 03:55:49 PM »
Well thank you for your help but that didnt seem to help.

Again I know how to launch XBMC but when it starts I have 3 differnt profiles lets say "master profile" password 1234, "My Profile" pasword 5678, and "your Prrofile" password 0123.

How do I get VC to ask me upon startin XBMC which profile to choose and when I say "Master Profile" it already has the password and opens XMBC under that profile name.

Thank you in advance

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:15:20 PM »
welcome Rowedog21,

May I ask, what is the point of having profile passwords if all you have to do is say "master profile"

Rowedog21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:12 PM »
Very true,

Thanks I kinda misspoke.  I would like to have my main profile locked and my kids profile not locked i guess so that they cannot get on there and watch anything that they want.  Their library is limited and i just wanted to be able to for VC to ask what profile and have it open that selected one. 

thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 04:49:39 PM »
When xbmc first loads up, it should generate an event in VoxCommando.  You can use this to trigger a TTS prompt saying "select user" or whatever.

You can then have a command for each user that send action codes like

Home, Select (for the first user)
Home, right, select (for the second user)
etc.

It would be best if your command phrases werew something like "select master user" "select Kids" "select home moves" etc.

You could go a step further by putting these commands in a group which is off.  When the XBMC.startup event is fired, the group could be turn on, and after selecting a profile the group could be turned off again.

Does this sound like it would work for you?

Rowedog21

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:35 PM »
Thank you,

That sounds like that is something that could work, but it seems like it is a little advanced for me at this point.  I am still REALLY new to this kind of program and have no idea how to do what you said.  I guess I will stick with the basics for now and do the log on manually and then I will work from there.

Thank you again for the fast reply

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »
I will help you.  I just wanted to make sure it was something that you thought you could use before I went to the trouble.

The main thing to understand at this point is that VC doesn't really operate on the basis of menus and choices.  It is more like a remote with a thousand buttons.  To some extent we can create some context by turning groups of commands on and off.  This can be done either based on a voice command or based on some other event like a button press, information sent from another program, program focus changing etc.

well, just play with the basics for now and I'll try to make something for your profiles.