Author Topic: Vox freezing, issue with XML Payloads?  (Read 3689 times)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Vox freezing, issue with XML Payloads?
« on: June 18, 2013, 04:38:48 AM »
Hi gents,

Finally convinced my best mate to get involved.  We've installed XBMC and Vox but even with a fresh install of both I am getting an issue with Vox Freezing.  It gets as far as advertising the Amulet and then nothing.

After a bit of trial and error I realised it was each time I generated the XML via JSON and restarted VOX that it would cause it to freeze.

I killed the Voxcommando process, but it freezes everytime I start it at that point.  I deleted all the XML files from the XML payloads folder and Vox started fine.  I generated the XML again and it froze after the next restart.

I reinstalled XBMC and Vox again but the same issue keeps occurring.  I get the issue with both my copy of Vox and with a fresh install from the website with no tweaks, I was still faced with the issue everytime I generated XML and restarted.

I can't figure out why Vox would have a problem with Adam's library.  Has anyone else seen this issue before?

-P
Home automation guides for idiots like me by an idiot (me)...
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfsweb

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: Vox freezing, issue with XML Payloads?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:00:12 AM »
Hi gents,

Finally convinced my best mate to get involved.  We've installed XBMC and Vox but even with a fresh install of both I am getting an issue with Vox Freezing.  It gets as far as advertising the Amulet and then nothing.

After a bit of trial and error I realised it was each time I generated the XML via JSON and restarted VOX that it would cause it to freeze.

I killed the Voxcommando process, but it freezes everytime I start it at that point.  I deleted all the XML files from the XML payloads folder and Vox started fine.  I generated the XML again and it froze after the next restart.

I reinstalled XBMC and Vox again but the same issue keeps occurring.  I get the issue with both my copy of Vox and with a fresh install from the website with no tweaks, I was still faced with the issue everytime I generated XML and restarted.

I can't figure out why Vox would have a problem with Adam's library.  Has anyone else seen this issue before?

-P
Hi Paul, but it could be possible that in the xml is a bad character that triggers the crash.
can you post the xml here?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:10:32 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
Hi Paul, but it could be possible that in the xml is a bad character that triggers the crash.
can you post the xml here?

:bignod

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 12:38:39 PM »
Thanks gents,

That's my next port of call.  I'm going round tonight, so I'll see if I can see anything obviously weird if I open it up in Notepad++, and if I can't suss it out then I shall paste it here for you far more clever people to tell me ;)

-P

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »
You can also try moving the xml file to a new location (instead of deleting them) and then move them back into position one by one.

but really, I recommend you first send me the xml files.  I can probably then recreate whatever is happening and find the source pretty quickly (I think / hope)

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 03:30:36 PM »
OK, now I'm really confused.

I thought I'd narrow it down to which one was wrecked before wasting any of you guys time and so moved them all out as James suggested.  I put them back in 1 at a time and reloaded VOX each time to see which one was the cause.

I put them back in one at a time restarting between each and they all went in just fine without any freezing!?!

I restarted VOX three times just to make sure I wasn't imagining it.  I have since scanned for new music and video and I still can't replicate the problem.

Bizarre.

I'll let you know how we get on.  If it does it again then I'll send you the XML files but for now it seems to be working just fine  ???

-P

MrWolf

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:38:23 AM »
Nothing further to report.  Other than a very excited Adam. :)

-P