Author Topic: "Sleep time" for VoxCommando  (Read 1843 times)

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
"Sleep time" for VoxCommando
« on: January 31, 2012, 08:54:47 PM »
Hi guys! (I'm going to bed now, so I promise that this post is not going to be long :D)

As VoxCommando is installed in my server, which is "on" for 24/7, I though that it could be a great idea to add an option to specify a "sleep time" (for example, from 1am to 8am, configurable for the user) in which VC will go to "off" state and wake up ("on" or "stand by") when the sleep time is finished. This way we can assure that VC will not turn anything on accidentally and will safe CPU energy as the microphone won't listen to any command.

I bet that you are going to tell me that this can be done using Eventghost, am I right?  :biglaugh :biglaugh I'm sure that it can be done, but I think that this simple things should be controlled directly by VC without using any 3rd party plugin.

Do you like this idea more than the other one?

Thanks again (you are going to hear this sooooo many times) and best regards,

Aitor

PS: 1:55am here and I have to wake up at 7:35, wonderful! :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: "Sleep time" for VoxCommando
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 09:24:51 PM »
OK, I won't answer this until tomorrow then so as not to keep you up!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
I bet that you are going to tell me that this can be done using Eventghost, am I right?  :biglaugh :biglaugh I'm sure that it can be done, but I think that this simple things should be controlled directly by VC without using any 3rd party plugin.

Yes it can be done using eventGhost.  It is a good idea and I will think about the best way to implement it in a future version but I would not necessarily describe it as a "simple thing".

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
Yes it can be done using eventGhost.  It is a good idea and I will think about the best way to implement it in a future version but I would not necessarily describe it as a "simple thing".

Oh, sorry James, I didn't mean that it was a "simple thing" from the code side, but from the user experiencie, as he only has to choose two different hours and nothing more. That's way I though that it was a better idea to implement it directly in VC and not force the user to use EG.

If you think that it's not easy to add it to VC don't worry, in fact I don't know if you like people to throw this kind of request in this subforum. Have you ever though of adding a bug and feature request tracker to get more control and organization about this things?

Thanks again and best regards,

Aitor

PS: I'm playing with the Growl plugin and it's excellent! I really like this kind of gifs that you give us to not stop playing with VC! :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 11:13:19 AM »
Oh, sorry James, I didn't mean that it was a "simple thing" from the code side, but from the user experiencie, as he only has to choose two different hours and nothing more. That's way I though that it was a better idea to implement it directly in VC and not force the user to use EG.

yes but not every user would be happy with that.  I have to think big picture.  Some people might want to set different schedules on the weekend, or have it turn off while they are at work and then on when they get home and then off again at night etc.  There is not point doing it half-way.  I always try to think big picture, to create the most flexibility with the least number of additions.

Same thing goes for you toggle command.  It's just one command but you want to toggle between on and standby (I think), but someone else will want to toggle between on and off, and someone else will want to toggle between standby and off.  So if I create a new variable {status} this will allow users to create their own customizations using logic commands and also probably use it in other ways as well, and I won't be cluttering up the command selection tree!

The truth is that I am planning to create a system of user timers for doing much more than just turning VC on and OFF.  It's just a question of finding the time to do it right!

I have thought about setting up a bug-tracker and feature request system yes.  The main problem is that I will have to host it myself because all the free ones like git, sourceforge, or googlecode require it to be an open-source project.  Also my server is windows based which severely limits the number of free options like "mantis" that I could use, so I would need to set up another linux host.  Unless someone wants to donate a reliable linux host for me to use.  Ideally i'd like to be able to set up some kind of vox domain name for it.