Author Topic: On - StandBy toogle action  (Read 4076 times)

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
On - StandBy toogle action
« on: January 31, 2012, 02:06:04 PM »
Hi James!

I'm still playing with the integration of VoxCommando in my system and I have to make you a feature request that I though that could be useful:

Is it possible to add an action that toogles the "on" and "stand by" state of VoxCommando? I'm currently using two buttons of my Harmony remote to change the state of VC and I though that it would be a better idea to use only one (the mute button por example, as I could silent my system and turn VC ON pressing it and unmute the system and set VC to stand by pressing the button again), but for that I need a toogle action assigned to the Eventghost event.

What do you think about the idea? Do you like it? How difficult is to integrate it?

Many many thanks for your work and best regards from Spain,

Aitor

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: On - StandBy toogle action
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:29:07 PM »
Hi James!

I'm still playing with the integration of VoxCommando in my system and I have to make you a feature request that I though that could be useful:

Is it possible to add an action that toogles the "on" and "stand by" state of VoxCommando? I'm currently using two buttons of my Harmony remote to change the state of VC and I though that it would be a better idea to use only one (the mute button por example, as I could silent my system and turn VC ON pressing it and unmute the system and set VC to stand by pressing the button again), but for that I need a toogle action assigned to the Eventghost event.

What do you think about the idea? Do you like it? How difficult is to integrate it?

Aitor
Hi Aitor, it is possible when your remote send a toggle code to eventghost, but you can do the same with "VC.OnSingle" Action, it turn VC on - wait for a command and turn VC in standby after the command is executed. When you do nothing, VC return in standby after idle timeout.

You can read this thread: http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=611.0

Kalle
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:38:20 PM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
it is easy enough to to this without adding any new features.  It is just a question of finding the correct configuration.

It is possible to solve the problem in eventGhost, or it is possible to solve the problem in VoxCommando.  It is a bit difficult to tell you exactly how to do it without knowing more about how you have everything set up.

One solution in EventGhost is to use the "enable exclusive" function to toggle between two groups.  Or it could be solved using a little bit of python scripting.

If you want to do it in VoxCommando instead, then when you receive the button event, you can use a user variable to keep track of the current state of VoxCommando.  It makes me think though, that it would be nice if we had a way to check the current status of VoxCommando to see if it is On, off, or in Standby.  This would make it easier.

Personally I think it is easier in this case to use eventGhost.  Can you send me your current eventGhost xml file?  I will see if I can modify it to show you what I mean.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
Hi James!

Aitor
Aitor, here is all what you need. Import the xml in Commandbuilder, and set your eventghost just as the picture below shows. Then insert your remote code (each the same)

Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 08:39:56 PM »
Hi guys!

Many thanks to both for your help, I knew that you were going to come to rescue me  :biglaugh :biglaugh

Kalle's solution seems to be perfect, my problem is that I have to learn many many things about Eventghost to be able to do things like that by myself, but I swear that I will dominate the program! Anyway, I still think that adding the toogle option on VoxCommando would be a simpler, easier and more elegant solution, but you are the boss. Perhaps for a long term future release ;-)

If you don't mind, although probably you are not going to know the answer, I would love to ask you a question about something that I can't fix for the last weeks. Let me first explain what the problem is.

In my system I'm using two different audio outputs, the HDMI output is connected to my TV and the SPDIF output to the A/V Receiver. Using MediaPortal's flexibility to control audio outputs, I have configured it to send TV sounds to TV through the HDMI connection and Music, Movies, Series, Videos... sound to the A/V Receiver and to achieve that, in Windows, I have configured the SPDIF output as the "Default device" and the HDMI as "Default communication device". Is it clear until now? (Noooooo! :D). My question is:

Is it possible to control (up, down, mute) the sound of all sound devices at once? Is there any option in Windows of a master volume that controls ALL the sounds simultaneously and not only the default one (SPDIF in my case)? What I want to do, to be more precise, is to control all the systems that are shown in the attached image (I know that that's not the situation of my HTPC, but now I'm in another PC) simultaneously.

Any option? I'm truly lost and I'm not able to find anything useful in Google.

Many thanks for all your help again and best regards,

Aitor

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »

Is it possible to control (up, down, mute) the sound of all sound devices at once? Is there any option in Windows of a master volume that controls ALL the sounds simultaneously and not only the default one (SPDIF in my case)? What I want to do, to be more precise, is to control all the systems that are shown in the attached image (I know that that's not the situation of my HTPC, but now I'm in another PC) simultaneously.

Any option? I'm truly lost and I'm not able to find anything useful in Google.

I'm not aware of any solution for this... At least not in a direct way.  When you set the "system" volume I think it just sets the volume for the "default" device.  Also the built in tools for controlling sound in general in windows Vista and 7 kind of suck.  They seem to have taken a step back from XP for some reason.

xtermin8r

• $upporter
  • Crunchie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 11:28:03 PM »

Is it possible to control (up, down, mute) the sound of all sound devices at once? Is there any option in Windows of a master volume that controls ALL the sounds simultaneously and not only the default one (SPDIF in my case)? What I want to do, to be more precise, is to control all the systems that are shown in the attached image (I know that that's not the situation of my HTPC, but now I'm in another PC) simultaneously

Aitor
try this
Description :
NirCmd is a small command-line utility that allows you to do some useful tasks without displaying any user interface.
install NirCmd http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Example to mute the system volume:
 nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1

Neural Net Based Artificial Intelligence.

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 12:18:10 PM »
try this
Description :
NirCmd is a small command-line utility that allows you to do some useful tasks without displaying any user interface.
install NirCmd http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html

Example to mute the system volume:
 nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1

Many thanks for you help halx, but unfortunately it's not working, it only changes the volume of the default device  ::confused

Quote from: Kalle
Aitor, here is all what you need. Import the xml in Commandbuilder, and set your eventghost just as the picture below shows. Then insert your remote code (each the same)

It's working perfectly, THANKS for your help Kalle, I have also combine it with the Growl plugin and now a message is shown on the HTPC telling the user that VC is "on" or "stand by". This is sooooo cool!!!

Quote from: jitterjames
I'm not aware of any solution for this... At least not in a direct way.

Ummmmmm... this sounds really intriguing... What do you mean by "not in a direct way"? Phyton script perhaps? Any link where I can read more information about the workaround?

Best regards,

Aitor

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:59:49 PM »
i was thinking along the lines of using several setvolume commands to adjust multiple devices at once.

If MediaPortal is not set to use the default device then you could create one action to set the default device level and another action to set the mediaPortal volume.

or you could instead be setting the volume on your receiver(s) etc.

of course there is the possibility of running into problems.  but then isn't there that possibility?  :biglaugh

using that command line program, is it maybe possible to specify which device you want to set volume for instead of using the default system device?

bodiroga

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES!!!!!

Halx I love you!!!! Sorry for not reading enough about the many options that this awesome program has!!!

Here is the link to the key information:

http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/mutesysvolume.html

As my second sound device is AMD HDMI Output (it has blank spaces, so I must use quotes), the command that mutes my TV sound is:

nircmd.exe mutesysvolume 1 "AMD HDMI Output" 0

- The first number can be change depending on what do you want to do with the sound: 1 - Mute, 0 - Unmute, 2 - Toogle Between Mute-Unmute.
- The second number I think that specifies the sound card subunit that you want to be change. In this case is 0 because AMD HDMI Output doesn't have any subunit.

I can now, with a single button press on my remote: mute my TV and receiver sounds, turn VC on and use Growl to show a message on my HTPC saying that VC is listening. And pressing the same button again will go back to the previous situation.

This is magic!

Many thanks to all that have helped me!