Author Topic: 2 new feature idea's  (Read 4525 times)

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
2 new feature idea's
« on: January 30, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Would it not be cool to have :

system.lock - something simular as system.sleep but it would lock the desktop to the login screen.
system.monitor.off # and system.monitor.on # - so that you can turn off one monitor in a multi monitor setup (eg. system.monitor.off.1 or system.monitor.off with 1 as a paramter)

One other thing though (and perhaps I'm blind and didn't find/saw it myself) but is there some documentation that explains all the functions and commands so that you can see what arguments or parameters you can pass along to functions and in what syntax or order they need to be ?

I'm pretty sure you intend to use the wiki pages for this but either I don't know how, or I'm blind but I can't find this kind of documentation.

Best regards
Challenge us at your own peril!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: 2 new feature idea's
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I don't know if it is even possible to put one screen to sleep.  Since sleeping monitors are based on saving power for a machine that is not being used, it is unlikely that it would work very well anyway because any activity would cause the second monitor to wake up.

It maybe possible to do a system lock, it never occurred to me that someone would want a voice command to do this.  I'll look into adding it to 0.873 if possible.

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:05:08 PM »
Thanks jitterjames,

And again, I want to thank you for this awesome program of yours, I'm having a field day on this one ;) Like a kid in a candy shop :p

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:24:46 PM »
I'm glad you are having fun... that's what it's for!

btw if you like VC and you intent to keep using it and want to be able to upgrade, I recommend you make your donation of $25 soon to get free lifetime upgrades.  When I get organized enough to launch this new paid version on the main website, it will cost:

$25 for a regular license.
$35 for a license with free lifetime upgrades.

the regular license will probably good until after version 1.0 which is still pretty far off I guess!

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 04:27:16 PM »
Any comment/info on the documentation/wiki questions Jitterjames ?

And yeah I've been playing with VC now for 2 straight days and love it. Gonna try and buy a good mic to use so that I can voice command from out of my sofa.
If that works well I will donate and continue using VC ;)

Regards

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:53:21 PM »
It's supposed to happen in the wiki, but I just haven't had the time / motivation to do it.  I've also got some plans to integrate a bit more info into the application itself, but it hasn't happened yet.  The whole project is just incredibly time consuming for me.  I can spend hours a day just on the forum sometimes!

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
It's supposed to happen in the wiki, but I just haven't had the time / motivation to do it.  I've also got some plans to integrate a bit more info into the application itself, but it hasn't happened yet.  The whole project is just incredibly time consuming for me.  I can spend hours a day just on the forum sometimes!

Could outside people (such as myself) help in any way to get this documented faster for the general public ?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »

I believe you, when I see that you in one week in Houston and in the other back in Quebec and your company so you must manage it. Your family wants you determined to see sometimes.  ::)
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
It's supposed to happen in the wiki, but I just haven't had the time / motivation to do it.  I've also got some plans to integrate a bit more info into the application itself, but it hasn't happened yet.  The whole project is just incredibly time consuming for me.  I can spend hours a day just on the forum sometimes!

Could outside people (such as myself) help in any way to get this documented faster for the general public ?

absolutely!  That's why I chose the wiki format.  Originally I had it set up so that just anyone could edit it, but that rapidly became a big ad for Viargra. lol

but you should be able to sign up for the wiki and then you can contribute.  If you have any problems signing up or questions about how to start please email me at james@voxcommando.com

perhaps a better option to get started specifically would be a shared spreadsheet on google docs.  We could use that to organize it and then probably export a table to the wiki.  If you have other suggestions I am all ears.  If someone organizes it in the correct format I am more likely to help fill the information in.

edit: just don't go too far in one direction without getting feedback from me please.  I don't want you to spend too much time on something if it's not right for me!  I can be a bit particular...  :-\
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 05:08:08 PM by jitterjames »

Auri

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
Well ... although I have never been a person that wrote stuff on wiki's, I have been a forum moderator at several community websites for years, so my writing skills should not be a problem.
Thing is I wouldn't know where to begin.  If you would ask me to do a specific thing that would help you get info on the wiki faster then I could do that, but you'll have to push me in the right direction.

Like if you could get me a quick document with for instance Results.RegEx and it's arguments, I could write it up so that it's readable for the public and make some examples with it. (so that you can just give the quick and basic technical info and I'll put it on the wiki in a readable way)

I'm just thinking out loud, I have no idea where to begin or what todo.  All I know is I'm willing to help you, if I can as I find this a very interesting project.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
hey James,

if this goes on like the last days, then you should give a party for the 500 member. With you at home in Canada and your friends in the forum do not forget to invite :D  I would be here (only in the warmer months)  8)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 06:09:54 PM »
You can join me now in a virtual party by opening a beer.  I've already started mine. ;D

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 06:25:40 PM »
You can join me now in a virtual party by opening a beer.  I've already started mine. ;D

cheers, I just have a coffee, I'm on work  ;)   o[] <-- cup of coffee

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 06:55:31 PM »
that's cool.  We can pretend we are meeting here:

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
that's cool.  We can pretend we are meeting here:

Ok, I bring a few cans of beer  ;D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 09:50:14 PM »
I'm definitely inviting you to my next party.