Author Topic: show overlay  (Read 1720 times)

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
show overlay
« on: January 30, 2011, 06:58:43 AM »
Hi James,

I noticed that the option "show overlay" is not without dangers. With plasma TV's, could the "overlay icon" burn into the screen. I think you should display a small warning when activated.
A popup window like this:

"when you use a Plasma-TV, its own risk to use this function. This function can cause Burn-in damages on your Plasma-TV"

I have a questions:

1. What can I do with "event" - user1, user2, etc.? (just out of curiosity  ::)  )

Kalle
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:04:05 AM by Kalle »
***********  get excited and make things  **********

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: show overlay
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:09:36 PM »
Wow - I didn't even know that burn in was still a concern.  The overlay fades out quite a bit after a few seconds so hopefully it will be much less of an issue than other things in an htpc such as the taskbar.  I will have to think about maybe making it easier for people to have the overlay change position periodically.

If you click the user event buttons it will generate an event in the history window.  If you look in the command editor, you will see that you can now add an event to any command.  If you have a command that you use often (perhaps to genxbmc and then restart etc) you can assign it this event and then use the button instead of using a voice command.  Or it might come in handy if you are testing new commands.

I am still working on the event system, but when I get closer to being finished I will really need to create some new tutorial videos to show how the new functions work!

btw for people who are reading this and don't know what we are talking about (what buttons?), we are discussing a feature that is new to version 0.872 and higher.  This version has not been released to the general public yet and is only available to registered users who have contributed to the project.  I will be releasing it to everyone soon, but it will be a pay version that also operates in trial mode.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Re: show overlay
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
Wow - I didn't even know that burn in was still a concern.  The overlay fades out quite a bit after a few seconds so hopefully it will be much less of an issue than other things in an htpc such as the taskbar.  I will have to think about maybe making it easier for people to have the overlay change position periodically.

If you click the user event buttons it will generate an event in the history window.  If you look in the command editor, you will see that you can now add an event to any command.  If you have a command that you use often (perhaps to genxbmc and then restart etc) you can assign it this event and then use the button instead of using a voice command.  Or it might come in handy if you are testing new commands.

I am still working on the event system, but when I get closer to being finished I will really need to create some new tutorial videos to show how the new functions work!

btw for people who are reading this and don't know what we are talking about (what buttons?), we are discussing a feature that is new to version 0.872 and higher.  This version has not been released to the general public yet and is only available to registered users who have contributed to the project.  I will be releasing it to everyone soon, but it will be a pay version that also operates in trial mode.

Yes, that Burn-in problem on plasma TV's was somewhat reduced, but not really, Plasma's change the pictures two or four pixels left, right, up- and down in msec, so we can not see, but an small icon that stand several hours at the same place, still could be a problem. I can see a TV-Logo like NBC or what ever, even if I had the TV several hours off, but my 50" plasma is 4 years old  :'( i think a new model solves the problem better  :D but not yet  :bonk

Event, ok, I've found the new entry, I'm really blind  :o

Thanks Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********