Author Topic: plex plugin  (Read 1704 times)

Luffykun

• View Profile
plex plugin
« on: April 07, 2018, 02:40:22 PM »
hello

i have a question why vox haven't a plugin  for  plex ?
i trying to follow the tutorial  Plex commands -- Getting Started
 http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=1637.0
but it's not working 
i use vox with kodi 17 work very well 
you do a plugin for mb3,kodi and other media center why not plex ?

i try many software  but your is very magic with kodi thank for that

i was use mb2 and mb3  and kodi  but plex is the best software  for mediacenter

can you give me some help ? i'm very sorry for my english

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: plex plugin
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:43:32 PM »
Plex was originally based on XBMC.  One of the first things that Plex did was to break the API that allowed remote control.  At the time that I investigated what was possible in the Plex API for controlling it from another application like VoxCommando, the API was difficult to work with, poorly documented, and also very limited in what was possible.

That was a long time ago.

It is quite possible that Plex now provides a better API that is properly documented, but I don't personally wish to invest the time necessary to create a plugin for Plex.  I don't use Plex and don't know anything about their current API.

Anyone with sufficient skill and time can develop a VoxCommando plugin using Visual Studio and C#, so if there are any developers out there who wish to create a VoxCommando plugin for controlling Plex they are most welcome and I will be happy to help them get started assuming they already know how to program and are familiar with the Plex API or are willing to take the time to figure it out. I will assist if they need a hand with the VoxCommando plugin development, which is fairly straightforward.

Luffykun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 05:03:19 AM »
hello
thank for your answer 
I think that you should reconsidered your position on plex.
why ? for many reason,
1) plex is very fast
2) plex server is very simple to use (i try all other media center ) , it's the best to manage the metadata
3) Plex is much more stable  (i use kodi for 1 month  now  kodi is slow, It is already impossible to me to close cleanly kodi )
4) to play media over the house  it's the best .

now i don't have sufficient skill  to create a plugin ,  but you need to understand that
i don't  want  manage the plex server  with VC   (many user think like me) 
i just want it to navigate  in plex media player  and do a vocal search 

for the api read this
http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/188378/client-http-api#latest
https://github.com/plexinc/plex-media-player/wiki/Remote-control-API

now i buy your software on 26 march  , i don't use it anymore  why ? because it's kodi it's self not work  properly  (not your software )

please give a try to plex is a very good software
i hope you should reconsidered your position on plex   BECAUSE it's more easy if you create  a plugin 

" I don't personally wish to invest the time necessary to create a plugin for Plex."  if i paid  for your time did you take the time to create this  ? Which would be your price ?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
" I don't personally wish to invest the time necessary to create a plugin for Plex."  if i paid  for your time did you take the time to create this  ? Which would be your price ?

When people say things like that it is usually because they don't know what it costs to hire a developer, or they have no idea how long it takes to write code.

A good quality plugin for Plex would probably take about 100 hours to develop the first "good" plugin.  And then time is required to refine, and maintain a plugin when things change.

That said, I have started to make some progress in experimenting with the Plex API despite it being mostly undocumented and somewhat strange.

Since you are currently the person who seems to be most interested in a plugin for Plex, can you please tell me what you are running as your "player" for plex, and what you are using for a Plex server.

So far my testing has been with Plex server running on Windows 7 and "Plex Media Player" also running on Windows 7 (but on a different computer).  I have also tried to control the Chrome web player which seems to be a bit more difficult.