Author Topic: log file name, and path to maps db files ...  (Read 1669 times)

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
log file name, and path to maps db files ...
« on: March 15, 2016, 12:52:53 AM »
I mentioned in other posts that I use onedrive to "sync" VC between 2 computers ... till now things working good cause I never used them at the same time ...
if I use them at the same time, I face an access problem; to the log file and the maps DB file ... features that can make this run perfectly:

1. an option to add machine name to log file, like this every machine will have it is own log file
2. possibility of adding path for the db files ... like this the DB file can be located on a network location and/or possibility of using central DB, like my SQL to handle maps this option allows to integrate VC with other things that are DB based and handle large maps efficiently (I am not sure based on which db engine maps is based on, and if it allows non exclusive access)
3. possibility of adding path for the voicecommands.xml ... this will allow different VC installations to read the commands from central location on the network and/or load different VC commands from one installation

When Voice command gets tough, use hand gestures

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: log file name, and path to maps db files ...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 09:24:42 AM »
One Drive should not be interfering with your ability to access local files if working properly. If it is doing that then you should look for a solution to that problem or switch to using dropbox or scheduled robocopy sync.

I recommend always leaving VC's logging turned off except when you are troubleshooting.

Moving files to a central location would increase the chances of actual valid file access conflicts.

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »
what happens with one drive will happen with any similar service. when both computers change a file at the same time (which is very possible to the log) onedrive can't decide which copy to keep, so it start saving things to new file like vc.log - computername to avoid loosing data ...

anyway  ... keep those in mind .. and see in the future if they worth implementing ...

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 09:02:20 AM »
So it sounds like there is no problem after all.  Sometimes you will end up with a duplicate of the log file.  Not a problem.  Anyway you should usually not have the log file enabled unless you are troubleshooting.

Isn't there a way to select which files to sync with OneDrive?  Dropbox has something called "selective sync".

Haddood

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:33:07 PM »
Isn't there a way to select which files to sync with OneDrive?  Dropbox has something called "selective sync".
not really ... you can select folders but not files ....but as you said the adverse effect can be ignored for the log file...

however, the db file is another story as one might end up loosing some data or settings stored their ...