Author Topic: Amulet remote on openelec xbmc with voxcommando on remote server  (Read 8177 times)

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
I would like to use the Amulet remote with Openelec xbmc (its the most stable and lean xbmc install - it works well for me) and have a VoxCommando installed on a remote Windows server.  Obviously, the commands from the remote need to be forwarded to VoxCommando on the remote server.  Basically, I want to have many clients (openelec xbmc) each controlled via its own Amulet remote sharing one VoxCommando server installation.  Is this possible?

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Amulet remote on openelec xbmc with voxcommando on remote server
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 09:07:41 AM »
Hi hpooni, welcome to the forum. :)

Yes, something like what you describe should be possible. However, when you say "server" do you mean Windows Server, or just a central machine running Windows?

As far as we know, VoxCommando does not run on Windows Server. It requires Vista, W7 or W8.

Also, if you use multiple Amulet remotes, each one will have its own wireless USB dongle and each will show up as a separate input in Windows. VoxCommando can only listen to one input at a time. So you would probably either need to run multiple instances of VoxCommando simultaneously (each listening to a different input) or you will need to combine your inputs using something like VAC (http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm).

It is not usually a problem to run as many instances of VoxCommando as you like. Users often do this, for example, to be able to issue commands in different languages.

If you go the VAC route, you will have problems if multiple users try to issue voice commands at the same time from different remotes.

Finally, I don't actually know how many Amulet remotes you can install on the same system before they start to interfere with each other's RF signals, since I only have one and this has therefore never been tested. I recommend that you PM Eddy from Amulet Remotes ("eddyc" here on the forum) about this.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:58:26 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
As far as controlling openelec XBMC is concerned, this should be possible as long as all the computers are on the same LAN.

If you want each Amulet to have control over a separate installation of openelec, then you won't be able to use the VAC solution since VoxCommando won't know which machine you want to control.

In this case, you will need one copy of VoxCommando running for each Amulet/XBMC pair. If you were to use VoxWav you would probably be able to get it to work using a single instance of VoxCommando.

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:42:07 PM »
Thanks for the detailed reply.
To clarify, the Vox machine is a standard Windows 8 Pro machine (not server edition).
Secondly, there would be one Amulet remote per client machine (openelec xbmc).
For example: 
Clients:
Familyroom openelec XBMC with Amulet remote
Bedroom openelec XBMC with Amulet remote
Basement openelec  XBMC with Amulet remote
Server:
Windows 8 housing VoxCommando and mysql XBMC central db.

Based on the above, can each amulet device communicate with VoxCommando over the network from each openelec client?

Thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:16:05 PM »
I am a bit confused but it sounds like you want to connect each amulet to the openelec machine which is not possible.

You need to connect the Amulet to the windows 8 machine that is running VoxCommando. If you have 5 Amulets then you will need to plug all 5 amulet usb dongles into the same windows machine, and you will need to have 5 instances of VoxCommando running on the same machine.  Each one would control a different XBMC running on an openelec machine.  It will probably get messy and I don't know how many Amulet devices can be plugged into the same machine, so you will need to ask Amulet or do your own tests to find out.

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:30:12 PM »
Correct, I wanted to connect each amulet device to each openelec box to send commands to voxcommando residing on another windows box.  Since, you indicated its not possible that pretty much kills my plan.  Looks like the only way to use Voxcommando + Amulet is to install everything on Windows machine in a standalone environment.
Thanks for your help.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:36:41 PM »
Looks like the only way to use Voxcommando + Amulet is to install everything on Windows machine in a standalone environment.

That is not exactly correct.  The Amulet is like any other windows USB microphone.  Amulet is a RF microphone, not a network or "wifi" microphone.  So it needs to be connected to the computer running VoxCommando as with any other USB microphone.

However, VoxCommando can control XBMC running on a different computer, because communication between VoxCommando and XBMC is through the network.

For your setup, VoxWav might be a better solution.  It runs on Android and essentially turns your Android into a "wifi" microphone.

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
I realize Amulet is RF and connected via USB.  I was hoping some api/app/method was available for it to communicate over the network.
I agree VoxCommando can be used via network installed in central location with VoxWav.  In fact I've tried this in the past and it works.  The big reason for me to use Amulet is for WAF factor.  The family is very use to remote with hard buttons and using the amulet remote is great compromise where everyone can still use the remote in traditional manner and harness the additional functionality via VoxCommando.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 03:49:20 AM »
Consider also that the range of amulet mic is ~33 feet and it can be a problem when you have many walls between your VC machine and amulet.
***********  get excited and make things  **********

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 09:38:19 AM »
Consider also that the range of amulet mic is ~33 feet and it can be a problem when you have many walls between your VC machine and amulet.
This shouldn't be problem as all my installations have a clear line of sight and are well within the 33 feet limit.

Now, I'm just waiting to receive my Amulet remote which I ordered on Dec 17th.  I must say the support at Amulet is not very good at all as I've requested updated via the support page on their website and posted on their forum (others have also requested status on their orders) at http://www.amuletdevices.com/index.php/Forum/?catid=5&id=1366&view=topic.  Hopefully someone from Amulet will read my comments here.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:43:11 AM »
This shouldn't be problem as all my installations have a clear line of sight and are well within the 33 feet limit.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?  There is a clear line of sight between what, and what?  It seems unusual to have a clear line of sight between all your OpenElec machines and your server.  Kalle is saying that the Amulet must be within approximately 30 feet of the machine running VoxCommando in order for the RF signal to transmit audio data from the Amulet to the USB RF receiver.  If you have intervening walls, or other sources of interference this distance will be reduced.  When you talk about line of sight it makes me think that you are talking about infrared communication which is used to send MediaCenter button codes to a computer which has an IR receiver connected to it (which in your case would probably be your OpenElec XBMC machines.

I have also noticed that Amulet seems to have poor response times on their support and forums (I'm not sure why).  That is why I suggested that you PM Eddy on this forum to ask about the possibility of using multiple Amulet devices on a single computer simultaneously.

In any case I think that we have established that the Amulet will not give you the solution that you want.  I am just posting this message in order hopefully avoid creating confusion for other users.

hpooni

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
Can you clarify what you mean by this?  There is a clear line of sight between what, and what?  It seems unusual to have a clear line of sight between all your OpenElec machines and your server.  Kalle is saying that the Amulet must be within approximately 30 feet of the machine running VoxCommando in order for the RF signal to transmit audio data from the Amulet to the USB RF receiver.  If you have intervening walls, or other sources of interference this distance will be reduced.  When you talk about line of sight it makes me think that you are talking about infrared communication which is used to send MediaCenter button codes to a computer which has an IR receiver connected to it (which in your case would probably be your OpenElec XBMC machines.
Perhaps line of sight is poor choice of words.  I simply meant there are no obstructions between the person holding the remote and the xbmc box.  Also, for now I think I will use Windows instead of Openelec and install VC and Amulet on the same box.

I have also noticed that Amulet seems to have poor response times on their support and forums (I'm not sure why).  That is why I suggested that you PM Eddy on this forum to ask about the possibility of using multiple Amulet devices on a single computer simultaneously..
I've sent Eddy PM today.  Thanks again for your help.  I'm very impressed with your support.  :)

eddyc

• View Profile
    • Amulet Devices
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 12:16:54 PM »
Coming late to this conversation, but one additional thought in terms of a multi-room / multi-mic setup: you can now buy relatively inexpensive USB extenders that work over CAT5.

It would be interesting to see if the Amulet USB dongle works well with one of these extenders, so that the PC running VoxCommando can be located in a different part of the house than the USB receiver (which still needs to remain in proximity to the Amulet mic) - especially if someone is planning on using several Amulets on a single system.

If anyone has experimented with this, I'd love to hear how you got on.