Author Topic: Google Translate Command Broken  (Read 2234 times)

Chonner

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Google Translate Command Broken
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
I guess this is the right place to post it, although it not so much a bug but a broken feature.

It appears Google Translate has changed/killed its API interface as calling any of the translate functions in VOX returns 'Disabled by Google'.

I hope it can be fixed, would be a really useful feature as I'm learning French at the moment.

Cheers

Chonner

P.S. Absolutely loving Vox at the moment, obeen playing with it a week and feel like I've only scratched the surface of what is possible. :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Google Translate Command Broken
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:30:32 PM »
well it can't be "fixed" since Google pulled the plug on their free service.  If you are willing to pay for an api key then I might be able to adapt the code to work with it.

I am looking into creating a Bing plugin for translation, but I find this kind of work is not very rewarding.  Once you get it working they kill or change the api and you have to start over.  ::club

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
also "HI and WELCOME!"  :D

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
If you want to be ready to test the Bing tranlation plugin you should get youself set up with a Bing API Key.

It is free, but you get a limited number of translations per day.  For that reason, I won't be using my personal key in VC because it would just run out too fast.  Instead each user will be able to use their own key.  As long as you don't abuse it you should be able to do plenty of translation each day, for as long as they continue to offer the service.

Info for getting your own key can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/web/post/using-the-free-bing-translation-apis

Chonner

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:52:06 PM »
Ah I didn't realise they'd put it behind a paywall! :(

Perhaps put a note explaining they no longer work in the command descriptions? I spent a little while try to work out if I was just using it wrong.

If you get around to making the Bing plugin I'll be happy help out with testing. :)

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 06:50:34 PM »
 'Disabled by Google'. was the note... Pretty much says it all!  :biglaugh

I think I'll just remove it all together.  I made some progress with the Bing Plugin though.  Should not take too long for me to put out a beta plugin for you.  I had previously worked on some tests but just never got around to packaging it up into a plugin form.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:44:01 PM »
I have uploaded a first draft of a new Bing plugin for translation with a little "bonus"...  :bignod

check it out:

http://voxcommando.com/forum/index.php?topic=757