Author Topic: google speech no socket  (Read 1718 times)

achel

• View Profile
google speech no socket
« on: December 06, 2018, 01:30:30 AM »
when setting up all test work from web server.
But when i press enable google speech on the google speech tab i get the message i have attach in this post.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: google speech no socket
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:54:08 AM »
Maybe we are trying to use a port that is already in use on your system.  I should make the websocket port configurable.  I was lazy when doing my proof of concept and then forgot about the port.

For now can you please

1) Close any and all instances of VoxCommando completely. (careful in case VC is set to hide in the notification area when closed)
2) use command prompt to run the following command:

Code: [Select]
netstat -an
see if something is using or listening on port 222.

I know port 222 was a stupid choice for a hard-wired port too, because it's too small a number.  :bonk
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:00:26 AM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 01:18:05 PM »
In any case, I have updated the latest version 2.2.4.5 on the download page with a new version of the TCP plugin and the GGSpeech web page.

It uses a new default port (33222) but the port is also user configurable now.

achel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »
Thank you very much for the fast response, I am constantly surprised for how fantastic the customer support is.

I will download the new version.

For completeness and just to get to find what the problem was I've attached what I see when checked, what I gather the port was listening.

vox just fixed one of the main problems I had with Google Amazon and apple and that's the constant listening, tinfoil hats were getting expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong now I can have my cake and eat it,  I can use vox as usual and then turn the mic on and use Google speech with a command throug Vox and then turn it off and continue using vox in a private way,  avoiding the whole always on microphone to the cloud of Google.  Is this right.

This is all very exciting thank you very much for this update.

just a side note when I install vox Commando  Windows Defender pops up with unknown publisher now I know most people who use Vox commando are enthusiasts they know how to get round it just thought I'd make you aware
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:19:00 PM by achel »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong now I can have my cake and eat it,  I can use vox as usual and then turn the mic on and use Google speech with a command throug Vox and then turn it off and continue using vox in a private way,  avoiding the whole always on microphone to the cloud of Google.  Is this right.

This is all very exciting thank you very much for this update.

Yes that is all correct. 

You are most welcome. :)

...and yes I'm aware that Windows Defender is stupid. ;)