Author Topic: Regisstering VoxCommando  (Read 16210 times)

fonzie

• View Profile
Regisstering VoxCommando
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:21:24 AM »
I want to purchase VoxCommando, but have a few questions before I do.  I'm a big tinkerer when it comes to my PCs and that entails installing, formatting, and reinstalling Operating Systems often.  Would I encounter issues once I register VoxCommando and decide to format my PC one month down the line and try to get the program up and running again?  What if I buy a new HTPC, can I transfer my license over to it?  What would the process entail?

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Regisstering VoxCommando
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »
You can activate VoxCommando on two systems simultaneously.  If you want to re-activate later on the same machine it is no problem.  VC considers it the same machine if it has the same system drive.  The two system limit is pretty much based on an honour system.  I check activation records periodically to make sure that no one is abusing an account (which has only happened once so far).  If you just tell me what you are doing when you go to a third system it won't be an issue.  In the future I may make it possible to "un-register" a machine so that you can transfer a license to another machine, but for now it is just easier to trust people.

So long story short.  Don't worry about it.  :D

fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 02:18:19 PM »
ok, cool.  That puts me at ease.  I'll test this out a little more on both my HTPCs.

My current setup is using my iPhone as a wireless mic (PocketAudio app streams through wifi) but there is a little lag.  This is still the cheapest (considering I already owned the phone) and most convenient wireless solution I have found though.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 04:17:31 AM »
ok, cool.  That puts me at ease.  I'll test this out a little more on both my HTPCs.

My current setup is using my iPhone as a wireless mic (PocketAudio app streams through wifi) but there is a little lag.  This is still the cheapest (considering I already owned the phone) and most convenient wireless solution I have found though.
Hi fonzie, welcome in VoxCommando-Forum  :)
the simplest solution is a wireless headset (eg. Plantronics A995 from 60$, Asus HS-1000W from $ 40). The best solution, but also one of the most expensive, is the Amuletremote (www.amuletdevices.com $150).
I think, the iPhone solution is not very useful, because as you've noticed a considerable time lag.

Greetings Kalle
***********  get excited and make things  **********

fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:21:31 AM »
The amulet remote is very interesting, the only problem is that I am trying to get it down to only 1 remote (I own a Harmony) and I don't think the Amulet will be able to control all of my AV equipment.

To my understanding, I would only be able to use the Amulet remote to control XBMC but not my cable box and other devices.  So I would have to switch between remotes and that would not be very streamlined.

I have a Denon AVR 590 and a Samsung LN40B540 LCD television.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:43:09 AM by fonzie »

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:59:31 AM »
The amulet remote is very interesting, the only problem is that I am trying to get it down to only 1 remote (I own a Harmony) and I don't think the Amulet will be able to control all of my AV equipment.

To my understanding, I would only be able to use the Amulet remote to control XBMC but not my cable box and other devices.  So I would have to switch between remotes and that would not be very streamlined.

I have a Denon AVR 590 and a Samsung LN40B540 LCD television.
Hi fonzie,
The Amuletremote is a learnable remote control, basically, just like your "Harmony", which you have to teach only the code with the original remote control and it can't create marcos. But I suggest you also use a USB-UIRT + EventGhost, then so you control everything by IR. (www.usbuirt.com)

Kalle

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 09:39:05 AM »
Hi Kalle,
The USB-UIRT sounds interesting and the price is not outlandish.  I was wondering what the learning curve would be to get this thing to control my computer and a couple of pieces of AV equipment utilizing the amulet.  I have not had time to experiment with the amulet much, but it seems that controlling the cable box, tv, receiver, is well within its capabilities.  I suppose that the advantage of the USB-UIRT is twofold, it acts as a central hub that distributes IR signals to the various components and through programs such as eventghost, it can control the computer as well.  A few questions:  Could I get the UBS-UIRT to power on the computer or just awaken from hibernation (a minor issue for me), can I control the computer system with macros such as changing audio formats (analog speakers to hdmi), launch programs and perform configurations, etc. ?  I suppose I would have to be at a particular locatiion (e.g. desktop) to start a macro (agaiin a minor point).  Are you familiar with the Girder program and would that be easier to use? 

Sorry for all of the questions and I don't expect you to generate a tutorial here, just a little more direction on software selection and capabilities of the equipment.

And fonzie, if you are reading this, I love the amulet primarlly because of Vox Commando, two things do bug me though.  first the direction keys that surround the ok button can be easily miss-hit, particularly by people not familiar with the remote and second the little plug at the bottom of the remote that must be removed to recharge it is a bit difficult to remove and replace.  These are minor complaints and are overshadowed by the power unleased by the amulet/vox commando combination.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:01 AM »
Hi Kalle,
The USB-UIRT sounds interesting and the price is not outlandish.  I was wondering what the learning curve would be to get this thing to control my computer and a couple of pieces of AV equipment utilizing the amulet.  I have not had time to experiment with the amulet much, but it seems that controlling the cable box, tv, receiver, is well within its capabilities.  I suppose that the advantage of the USB-UIRT is twofold, it acts as a central hub that distributes IR signals to the various components and through programs such as eventghost, it can control the computer as well.  A few questions:  Could I get the UBS-UIRT to power on the computer or just awaken from hibernation (a minor issue for me), can I control the computer system with macros such as changing audio formats (analog speakers to hdmi), launch programs and perform configurations, etc. ?  I suppose I would have to be at a particular locatiion (e.g. desktop) to start a macro (agaiin a minor point).  Are you familiar with the Girder program and would that be easier to use?  

Sorry for all of the questions and I don't expect you to generate a tutorial here, just a little more direction on software selection and capabilities of the equipment.

And fonzie, if you are reading this, I love the amulet primarlly because of Vox Commando, two things do bug me though.  first the direction keys that surround the ok button can be easily miss-hit, particularly by people not familiar with the remote and second the little plug at the bottom of the remote that must be removed to recharge it is a bit difficult to remove and replace.  These are minor complaints and are overshadowed by the power unleased by the amulet/vox commando combination.
Hi mclough6,
USB-UIRT is an infrared transceiver, as you have already said can route IR signals. You need only EventGhost to control everything. The good thing is, the commandos also spoke via VoxCommando be issued as IR signals.
On the amulet, there are four colored buttons that you can prove with one device configuration. Example: press the red button on the amulet to contol your AV receiver (how you teach-the keys and assigns the color you can see the instruction manual, is not difficult, but watch it broadcast the signal no other IR sources nearby, - a plasma TV and sun is an IR source ;)   )
To work with eventghost + VC is relatively easy! take a look on it, it is freeware.
Yes, you can power on your pc with amulet+USB-UIRT from hibernation.
Yes you can control your computer with macros in eventghost and many other things.
When you have any question, ask  ;)

Greetings Kalle

PS: when you're as little talented to home improvement, you can build by yourself a own charge cradle for the amulet.  ;D
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 02:09:25 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:27 PM »
Hey, I like the idea of a charge cradle for the amulet!  :bignod  Have you done that?  If so, please send us pictures.  I think you can safely remove the rubber plug on the bottom of the remote if it is bothering you.  I find it a bit awkward too, but not enough to be considered a true "con".

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
Hey, I like the idea of a charge cradle for the amulet!  :bignod  Have you done that?  If so, please send us pictures.  I think you can safely remove the rubber plug on the bottom of the remote if it is bothering you.  I find it a bit awkward too, but not enough to be considered a true "con".
Haha, I think it's not hard to build a charging cradle. There is also something that's already done, but the amulet would stand upright and the microphone is always on. I still need a USB adapter angle, then is my charger ready  ;)
It work also with my iPhone, iTouch and it have a nice design.

http://www.amazon.de/Universal-Ladestation-Mobiltelefone-andere-Ger%C3%A4te/dp/B0047LYC7K/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1308612992&sr=8-16

Kalle

with this my cradle is finish -   http://www.amazon.de/mumbi-Winkeladapter-Mini-USB-Navigationsger%C3%A4te/dp/B003O35BLI/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_ps_t_4
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:01:24 PM by Kalle »

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 09:32:17 PM »
The cradle is a bit rich for my cheapskate mentality.  I'll settle for laying it down.  Kalle, you are far more motivated than I am.  As for the bottom plug, yes it is a minor complaint, but anything that takes me upwards to a minute to accomplish, when it should take 5 seconds rates as a very minor issue (I won't call it a con).  I would think that anybody reading my post would realize the the points I made are certainly not deal breakers.

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:42:36 AM »
Hey, I like the idea of a charge cradle for the amulet!  :bignod  Have you done that?  If so, please send us pictures.  I think you can safely remove the rubber plug on the bottom of the remote if it is bothering you.  I find it a bit awkward too, but not enough to be considered a true "con".
Hi James, here is my second prototype for the Cradle Amulet. I'm still looking for a solution to the USB connector, but I think I have an idea.
The prototype is still in plaster, but it will look so similar. I need a few more attempts with liquid plastic polyurethane.

Greetings Kalle
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 06:32:38 PM by Kalle »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:48:35 AM »
It's good to have hobbies!  I think the usb part is the most important part, yes?  What are you planning for that?

Kalle

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »
It's good to have hobbies!  I think the usb part is the most important part, yes?  What are you planning for that?
:D First Plan: I would like to modify a mini-USB connector, I need only the pin 1 and 5 (Pin1 = 5V+ and Pin5= Ground -) so that you only hang up the remote on the Cradle. This take a little time  ;)

second plan: A mini USB connector angle, which is firmly attached to the end, so you can slide your remote in the cradle.

Kalle

mclough6

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 02:33:35 PM »
Hi Kalle,
The Amulet folks should put you on the payroll.
Best Regards,
Mike