Author Topic: Windows 10 Cortana Integration  (Read 10430 times)

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 Cortana Integration
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 12:48:06 PM »
Ok, I see an advantage then, open dictation for web searches since VC SP does not allow for open dictation. But wait, I think Cortana is not available in Portuguese too. So I agree this is big advantage and I really would like to have this working. But I still think it is weird to have to talk to two different virtual "assistants" for different requests.

Unfortunately I think my only option is to try to find the most trustable way to integrate Chrome's Ok Google with VC, right?
Btw, integrating Ok Google with VC was already on my list so I can allow for some open dictation in portuguese. The Ok Google works preety good in my cell phone, so I'm wondering I can have something similar integrating it with VC.
I wonder I can send my voice (recorded audio) to Google's engine so it can recognize it. I think there are some examples in the forum about it... I'll check all of this once I finally start trying to actually do that.
One thing that would be preety cool is to not have to pre determine what I can search in my XBMC library. I really would like to be able to perform a real open search on my library without necessarily using the payload xmls. The reason is that I have a DLNA media server running on another PC and Kodi does not add remote items to its media library.
Maybe I can do such media searches once I can find a way to have Ok Google to return back to VC what I have said to it. Anyway it's another subject.

For the thing of searching files on local PC, I don't think I would have a use for it. I'm wondering a full automated platform where I should not have a reason to search for a file at normal day to day use. Suppose I could search for a file in my HTPC, what could I do with it then?

This is only my point of view and taking my own needs into account, and maybe my imagination is not following what you guys are seeing because simple lack of imagination. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe kindly playing the devil's advocate role so I can perhaps get the whole idea.

Thanks!

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 01:33:25 PM »
This is only my point of view and taking my own needs into account, and maybe my imagination is not following what you guys are seeing because simple lack of imagination. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but maybe kindly playing the devil's advocate role so I can perhaps get the whole idea.

Home automation is just one reason for using VC.  Some people use it for gaming, some might use it as a productivity tool or because they are disabled or have trouble typing or using a mouse for some reason.  I have often used it to solve problems that would otherwise require me to perform repetitive tasks, and using VC was much faster than trying to write a program from scratch.

So if you use VC on your work computer you might want to use it to find files.  On the other hand, I think many people try to solve problems with VC just to see if they can, and then once they solve the problem, they don't actually use the solution because it's still easier to do it manually.  There is nothing wrong with this... just saying it happens. :)

RickyD333

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
For the thing of searching files on local PC, I don't think I would have a use for it.

Well for someone like me I occasionally use Photoshop for little project's and do some writing (especially in my college days... had about 6 different essays I was working on per week). So if I am sitting down to work on one of those project's I can just ask Cortana (at least that's what I would like to do) to open up the particular file I need (or maybe if I forgot where a file is, it can show me the file location... maybe I want to email it/upload it to Google Drive and I forgot where I put the file).

For me, I'm basically trying to create the Star Trek experience because it's what I've dreamed of since I was a wee dork-ling. Now I just need my holodeck... Computer, play simulation Dixon Hill...

marcusvdt

• Researching
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, it's lack of imagination on my part. This is because I tend to think majority of other things that I do in my life are easier or faster to do without VC. I'm so focused in making VC to perfectly fit my immediate needs as I initially wondered, that I have no room in the brain to match it to other tasks, like work for example.

Sometime in the future I'll probably want to expand VC usage to other areas of my life, or even creating something for disabled people. The last is actually a very good idea.

So taking into this boat, I think I would try to have both Cortana and VC (which I currently call Doris) hearing me all the time. If that could be possible somehow, I could then ask the tasks respectively to Cortana and  Doris according to what is easier for each of them to execute. For example (just thinking, not sure what is actually possible):
Cortana, search web for the future is here.
Doris, read search results.
Doris, new email attach search result 1.
Cortana, someoneone@gmail.com
Doris send the email.
Doris, turn all the lights on.
Cortana, search hard drive for photos named Orlando 2015.
Doris, slideshow current photo search.

etc...

RickyD333

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 03:50:35 PM »
You don't have to switch between saying "Doris" and "Cortana". You can just stick with "Doris." You can actually just use the xml I linked to earlier and adjust the phrases to your liking. If you go into the Cortana settings (click in the Cortana search box, select the notebook icon on the left, then select settings), you can turn on and off the "Hey, Cortana" feature. I have mine set to off because I use Voxcommando to activate Cortana.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 04:23:14 PM »
You don't have to switch between saying "Doris" and "Cortana". You can just stick with "Doris."

I think you are missing his point.  When he says "Doris" he is talking to VC and when he says "Cortana" he is talking to Cortana.

RickyD333

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 04:53:09 PM »
Oh right, I had to think about that for a moment. My bad. If I was going to use Cortana for things like that I would have certain phrases for each of those occasions. For example, "computer search" brings up Cortana and my intention is to perform an internet search and then "computer search system" would perform the same action, but I would instead be intending to search my computer files. I would just do that to make things consistent.