Author Topic: Google Assistant Reminders  (Read 1522 times)

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Google Assistant Reminders
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:10:52 PM »
is it possible to add in Google Reminders integration?

with the new android 8.1 they make it a lot easier to set reminders on the phone or tablet and if we could add google reminders it would allow for long term reminders (Remind me in 2 days to call the cable company) instead of being limited to 24 hours, plus for android users it would also give the ability for a reminder notifications across all devices including our VC PC's.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Google Assistant Reminders
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:43:25 PM »
Whether or not I consider it worth the effort at some point (dealing with new Google APIs can be a nightmare) is a question for another day.

For now it looks as though Google have not even made it possible yet.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36760283

Is there not an equally easy way to create a calendar event (instead of reminder) with Google assistant?  I thought a reminder was pretty similar to an event, but with fewer options.

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »
It may not be quite as easy but you can say, for example:

"Add call mom to my calendar in 20 minutes" on google assistant.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 02:10:00 PM »
they are similar but with Android 8.1 they made a big change to how they handle calendar events compared to reminders.

on 8.1 a calendar event notification only stays in place for the duration of the event where a reminder notification stays until you dismiss it.

setting up reminders you have to use google assistant to set them up, your not able to set them up in a calendar, even though you can view and edit them in a calendar.

a reminder does give you the options for: day, time, repeat (daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly), and location. so there are a few less options but also gives you a persistent notification.

I didn't realize they haven't made an api for reminders. I have been looking into API.AI to see what it would take to use google assistant with VC similar to how it works with Autovoice. or how Amazon alexa works with VC

Autovoice integration instructions

so I can see what you mean as a pain in the but to work with.

It looks like adding a calendar event is going to be the best way to go, especially with no api to integrate with reminders

thanks

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
This seems to be in line with Google's general philosophy as described so eloquently by Zorg.

PegLegTV

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:17:38 PM »
 :biglaugh so true