Author Topic: Can VC send text to speech to Google home?  (Read 1655 times)

Brian

• $upporter
    • View Profile
Can VC send text to speech to Google home?
« on: December 22, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
I was just wondering if this was possible. Thanks 😊

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
Re: Can VC send text to speech to Google home?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
I'm not 100% sure that I know what you mean by this but if I take it literally I think the answer is no.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 12:04:34 PM by jitterjames »

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 11:33:54 AM »
Do you mean using Google home as a speaker for TTS?

I think the only way to do that would be using Google home device as a Bluetooth speaker.

See: https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/68260721?hl=en
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:51:28 AM by jitterjames »

Brian

• $upporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 11:18:22 AM »
Do you mean using Google home as a speaker for TTS?

Yes,

Bluetooth speaker - didn't even think of that. Thanks!

aguileramekin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 11:43:07 PM »
James
Just to fully understand: If I say something not recognized by VC that command cannot be sent to google home account trying he respond to it?

I saw some projects on smartwatches apps or similar where that can be done (a little bit complicated to setup but possible) so I was wondering if that can be implemented here.... ???

jitterjames

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • VoxCommando
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 11:36:28 AM »
James
Just to fully understand: If I say something not recognized by VC that command cannot be sent to google home account trying he respond to it?

I saw some projects on smartwatches apps or similar where that can be done (a little bit complicated to setup but possible) so I was wondering if that can be implemented here.... ???

By the way, your post is a bit off-topic for this thread because the original question was about Text To Speech.

But anyway:

It is possible to implement I'm sure, but it is not possible using VoxCommando at the moment.

It is possible in VoxCommando to save a .wav file of the last thing that was heard so in theory you could write a plugin or something that would then upload that file to Google's speech API.  This would require using their paid API though.

The way we implement Google speech with VoxCommando for free is by using the speech recognition built into the Chrome browser and there is no way to use this to upload an audio file.

It might also be possible to turn on speech recognition in Chrome and then somehow play that wav file into a recording device but this would be a messy hack.

The best option would probably be to have both VC and Chrome listening and then use some logic to decide who to listen to, assuming this did not lead to some conflicts from both applications recording from the same microphone.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:36:06 PM by jitterjames »